Dita-inspired style

Reaction score
I really love Dita Von Teese's style. I know she cultivated her look over time and admits that she is a creation, a carefully crafted image. So I'm curious: what would it take to have a Dita-esque look? What are the must have pieces to dress like Dita? Can Dita's look be summed up as pinup or retro glamour?

I love Dita's style as well, she's one of my big influences right now. I think her influences would be vintage pinups and retro Hollywood glamour, as well as a little fetish.

There's a good thread devoted to her in the Star Style section. She seems to rely on tailored suits for more casual appearances, and go all-out for formal events. In the few candids I've seen of her she's worn sundresses, and once wearing a pair of black capri pants @ an airport. Her idea of casual seems to be a step up from everyone else's. I doubt she ever worries about being overdressed for something.

Try vintage clothing, as well as online stores like Daddy-o's and Dancestore, sites that feature retro-inspired clothing and things for swing dancers.

And she's always well-coiffed and made up. I think that's key.

I love Dita's style as well, she's one of my big influences right now. I think her influences would be vintage pinups and retro Hollywood glamour, as well as a little fetish.

There's a good thread devoted to her in the Star Style section. She seems to rely on tailored suits for more casual appearances, and go all-out for formal events. In the few candids I've seen of her she's worn sundresses, and once wearing a pair of black capri pants @ an airport. Her idea of casual seems to be a step up from everyone else's. I doubt she ever worries about being overdressed for something.

Try vintage clothing, as well as online stores like Daddy-o's and Dancestore, sites that feature retro-inspired clothing and things for swing dancers.

And she's always well-coiffed and made up. I think that's key.

Thanks! I'd really like to incorporate some vintage into my wardrobe. I will definitely pour through the Dita thread to get a better idea.

i love dita's style, too, although it's pretty much the opposite of my own. but i love that it's her "creation," very crafted and precise. have you read her books? the photos in them are fantastic. and i hear she is also writing a book about "eccentric beauty"...

I would look at books about the fashion and clothing of 40's-50's as well as old ads, fashion magazines and pin ups of that time period. Von Teese takes her inspiration straight from those influencers, therefore I believe the key must be there.

Then I would get to know well my local vintage shops aswell as those on internet. I would make lists of what goes and what doesn't go with a style like that, and what certain situations (ie work, party, weekend) require from clothing. Then I would see how I could find the clothes that accommodate the best to my needs while still looking 40's pin up-ish.

Good luck! I am not so keen on Dita Von Teese's style, but I adore it when others want to embrace "old-fashioned" ways of dressing and fashion.

Lately Dita has been wearing more designer items and less vintage. Since her mainstream breakthrough she probably has more access to the fashion world.

But the reason I like her style so much, is that even modern clothing looks vintage on her. Wearing a new design, she still looks like an old-Hollywood diva. I guess she does a really good job of hand-picking what she puts on and what not:clap:.

What I'm trying to say, is that I don't think that vintage dresses are a must for the Dita style. If you look carefully, even in normal shops like Zara, you can find clothes that fit her character.

^ Of course! But they need to, as you said, fit the "role". Thus I think vintage will always be the inspiration.

definately a fitting black pencil skirt, 1940's-esque blouses (victoria secret has a few very retro pieces right now) wedge heels, platform heels, rounded toes, peep toes, fitted dresses, sweet-heart necklines, proper lingerie, proper prints (retro prints)....you really have to have a love for the style of the 30's 40's and the confidence and guts to pull it off. i met dita and she's definately a character when she goes out. full makeup, ironed perfect hair, her demure is there as well. watch old movies, get some books on the art of the pin-up, vargas girls, all of that. When you start looking at stuff like that for inspiration, dressing like dita should come easily....but it's definately a high maintenace look. i was into it for a while, but you have to have perfect make-up and do your hair every day, groomed eyebrows, have a dear friend in liquid liner and a steady hand. it's quite a bit of work to look old hollywood glamorous.

definately a fitting black pencil skirt, 1940's-esque blouses (victoria secret has a few very retro pieces right now) wedge heels, platform heels, rounded toes, peep toes, fitted dresses, sweet-heart necklines, proper lingerie, proper prints (retro prints)....you really have to have a love for the style of the 30's 40's and the confidence and guts to pull it off. i met dita and she's definately a character when she goes out. full makeup, ironed perfect hair, her demure is there as well. watch old movies, get some books on the art of the pin-up, vargas girls, all of that. When you start looking at stuff like that for inspiration, dressing like dita should come easily....but it's definately a high maintenace look. i was into it for a while, but you have to have perfect make-up and do your hair every day, groomed eyebrows, have a dear friend in liquid liner and a steady hand. it's quite a bit of work to look old hollywood glamorous.

Sounds wonderful, but it does sound like a lot of work. I doubt I could pull it off everyday since it IS time consuming to create that look. But maybe on special occasions or special events. . .

I love vintage 50s cocktail dresses that flare out. I'm also looking to add a few vintage inspired shoes to my wardrobe (t-strap mary janes, peep toe).

and don't forget the hot red lips :D

Yes, a strong mouth is key. I don't have Dita's porcelain complexion and actually hate lipstick, but I may have to pay a visit to the makeup counter to find a red that works for me. It's such a bold look.

yah, it's a lot of work...i admire the rockabilly girls and some of those suicide girls who can pull this off on a daily basis. im too much of a cameleon to do it...one day i want to be a pin-up, the next mia farrow, the next hippie chic!

maybe you should check out her forum too :smile: i've heard she gives useful tips on makeup and stuff

i'd really like to know what skin products she uses- that's her secret :heart: her GLOWING complexion

i'd really like to know what skin products she uses- that's her secret :heart: her GLOWING complexion

She loves Creme de La Mer. She has also listed her favourite cosmetics before. She'll answer any of your questions on her "Pillow Talk" messageboard. :blush:

I'm so happy someone started this thread. Dita is my new inspiration. I love looking at candids of her, because you don't see too many people dressed perfectly like her during daytime these days.

There's a picture of her coming out from the airport with a black trenchcoat and black capri pants..perfection!

Where is the forum? Do you have to be a member? You can buy her used stockings, and branded shampoo.

Yeah, I think you have to be a member. I don't plan on paying, though. I'll just have to look at her pics for inspiration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->