Do "Sex & The City" Girls Really Exist?

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by passione, Jul 22, 2004.

1. passione

passione New Member

I think those girls are absolutely beautiful. But i've always wondered...how do they make so much money to buy what they have? Honestly. Isn't the main one a writer? although it must be a very satisfying job do you really make enough money to constantly go spending the way they do and at the brands the do!? I find it extremely...how you say...alluring! :blush: just my question.

2. metal-on-metal

Haha no. No writer (especially a columnist for a NY daily) makes enough to support that kind of wardrobe. SATC is purely fictional and for the most part, those women and those lifestyles don't exist, even in New York City.

3. xclusive

xclusive New Member

i've always wanted to know that too!! i thought maybe they put it on credit cards but they truly live a higher than middle calss life with an apt in Manhattan for a writer that'd b nice but not very real life based..

4. erin_k

erin_k New Member

i love satc! 3 out of 4 of the girls lifestyles are believeable..lawyer, rich kid, and pr firm owner. carries (the writers) lifestyle however isnt..

5. oceanharlot

oceanharlot stories everywhere

i dunno guys...

carrie wears an awful lot of vintage stuff and if you allow yourself to think that she only buys what she wears on the show during the entire year...

its possible. i think.

6. CelineChic

CelineChic New Member

It's TV, it doesn't have to be real :P

But I noticed the same thing on Fraiser, Friends, Seinfeld and SATC.

7. MayaPapaya9

MayaPapaya9 New Member

They did have that one episode a while back where Carrie says something like, she has a closetful of beautiful shoes but can't pay her rent, I believe she was in danger of losing her apartment or something...they do address the money issue here and there in the show.

In the end it IS a fantasy, and none of the viewers REALLY WANT to see the "reality" of Carrie repeating an outfit or shopping at Sears, now do they??

However it does make you wistful...I wish I could be a freelance writer and afford all Carrie's stuff. I think to some degree, on some subconscious level, we look at these people and think, Hey, if they can wear all that wonderful stuff working regular jobs, why can't we?? It's the same story on Friends, Rachel and Monica were NOT well off enough to afford that spacious apartment.

Maybe that's one of the reasons Americans have so much credit card debt. Our eyes are bigger than our wallets and these shows only exacerbate the situation.

8. Misako

Misako within an embrace

I think most of it is believeable on some level - well, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha the most. Carrie is also believeable on SOME levels, especially as she became MUCH more successful in the later seasons. Maya brought up a good point about how Carrie was faced with problems in the aspect of her apartment, and it's not the first time money issues have been dealt with on the show. I think that she just chooses to spend her money on different things - it really doesn't seem like she goes grocery shopping much...haha...and she doesn't need a car, so there aren't any payments for that...so on some aspects, she's real...I find the other three girls to be more believeable monetarily speaking, but I LOVE THEM ALL! I need to own the last season on DVD - i have the rest already. :smile:

9. passione

passione New Member

But this actually begs the question, some of you girls on this board have the money to spend on vuitton purses and some even comment so! What are some of your jobs? I would love to make enough money to support my expensive tastes...

10. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

get a job at a clothing store and just 'borrow' the clothes...as well as getting a discount... ^_^ :angel:

11. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

This also seems evident on Grace in Will & Grace.

I recall one comment when she says she can;t Louis Vuitton in regards to Joan Collin's character's Vuitton dog carrier.

But she is quite obviously wearing very expensive items of clothing. And carrying Gucci, Burberry, L.Truex, etc.

Karen is a different matter.

12. passione

passione New Member

i luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv will & grace. once i finish uni ill move to Manhattan, get an apartment and find a roomie. that is what i will do.

13. MJCouture

MJCouture Active Member

Some of the SATC wardrobe stuff is realistic, some isn't. Pat Field has been quoted as saying it is TV, they would never use a script twice, why would they use an outfit twice? We are supposed to believe that Carrie gets things as gifts, or borrows from designers. She does wear a lot of less $$ stuff if you really think about it. A lot of vintage, some more casual stuff, yada yada. Her bags and shoes are the most exspencive. And yes, there are writers in NY who are willing to get into debt up to their ***** to buy shoes. Charlotte and Miranda are also very realistic. However.... I don't think I have ever seen anyone in New York that dresses like Samantha. Hot pink Ungaro pant suits? Her style, to me, is much more LA. It is TV, it is not all realistic, but a lot of it is. I think they do a much better job at getting down what it is to live in New York than any other TV show out there.

14. Ms. Diorella

Ms. Diorella New Member

I always thought that about a lot of what Samantha wears too, doesn't seem as new york as what the other girls wear.

15. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

I certainly don't know any ... but then I don't live in that city :wink:

16. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

Impossible.

Isn't that what all TV is like? Even reality TV is all scripted at times.

I myself have dreamed to live a life like Carrie: nice flat, three great friends, work at a magazine. But it's one in a million. I can settle for two of the three. ^_^

17. chaneladdict

chaneladdict New Member

I think I remember Pat Field being quoted as saying "the show isn't a documentary". Also I have heard her say something to the effect of..Carrie is the girl who borrows things from designers, wears things with tags on them and returns them, etc. They showed her shopping places such as Century 21 too.

18. shop7th

shop7th New Member

i know you wrote this about 4 years ago...:P but Monica got her rent-controlled apartment from her Grandmother, so she was technically there illegaly and that's how they could afford it..

there was an episode where she almost lost her apartment because of it and Joey had to practice dancing with the super to save them.. :lol:

19. PonyShow

PonyShow New Member

maybe they do exist they're just in a lot of debt. who knows.

20. teen idol

teen idol New Member

It's somewhat believable. Carrie had a rent controlled apartment, and just chose to spend all her excess cash on clothes. She also had connections being a somewhat known columnist (she was asked to be in a fashion show in one episode, it was models and "real new york" people). In the later episodes she did get a few book deals.

Samantha is just a ridiculous character in general--very flamboyant, so I think it would make sense that she dresses "LA".