Do You Have a Food Allergy/Intolerance?

^ oh no! watch out for those. That's how my "affair" with acetylsalicylic acid started. First time my mouth and cheeks felt like I had slept for 50 hours. Next time (another anti-inflammatory) half of my face was huge and red, I never understood why exactly one side, it's indeed scary how the body works.

Last time, I turned 100% tomato, I felt my lips and jaw tingling (same for the body) and my blood pressure was so low I just passed out in a chair. I woke up about an hour later feeling strangely warm and hungover, I could barely open my eyes. I headed to the restroom and saw myself in the mirror and holy *** :shock:... like I went through the worst facial peeling and had a bad job on my lips, the rest of the body was ::::. As hours went by, my mouth became completely numb, so huge and stiff I couldn't articulate words. I had to spend the night the hospital.

I was diagnosed with a celery allergy too.. I always got a burning sensation but I never bothered to think harder and figure out what it was all was about. Pity, because I really liked celery everywhere (salads, soups, stews :(), I still have it, whenever I feel like seeing my skin fall off for the next 2 days. :lol:

^ Celery! That would be a b!tch! I use it in so much of my cooking.

I had an allergic reaction to Gold Opal apples, which are a very bright yellow. I bought several to eat for breakfast. The first day, I noticed my tongue tingling & thought nothing of it. Second day, it felt like my ears were on fire and I felt really hot. Went to look in the mirror, and my ears were bright red, face and neck flushed. So strange, been eating apples all my life. Don't think I've bought any since, but I'm assuming just this one variety??

I find no problems with yogurt, but I have been eating sheep's milk yogurt lately. If you look at the data, vast majority of the world's people are lactose intolerant, so looking at the population as a whole, milk working for us isn't normal.

I do eat parmesan all the time (as you say, a must for pasta, a staple at my house), and have no problems there. It's the super-fresh cheeses that give me issues. I don't like the whole Brie family, so I'm good there ... blue cheese seems to be no problem. Anything with some age on it ... and of course, the older the cheese (in general), the better!

It's funny I saw this thread right after I took medicine for a allergic reaction to something I ate with my lunch, I'm thinking it was the cream cheese in my wrap. As a child I was allergic to dairy, I didn't even have a piece of chocolate until I was like 12! Eventually I grew out of that allergy for the most part, but I've still got an intolerance to it. Usually it doesn't bother me but it's been acting up lately. They say that as people grow older they are more likely to develop an intolerance to dairy since our bodies don't know how to break it down as much. I've always been allergic to poultry and shellfish, for awhile they thought I might not be allergic to poultry any more but that wasn't the case. I guess since I've never really had either, I don't miss it. Does anyone else who with an allergy like this hate it when people don't seem to understand that food needs to be cooked separately from the offending item? People don't always get it. I've always been quite nice and polite about making sure people understand things can't be cooked with poultry/shellfish but I've still found people to be rude about it. Because my allergies are so prevalent in American food culture I find it easier to be a vegetarian, it helps minimize some of the chances of getting sick. Honestly, I don't really mind it most of the time, how can you miss something if you've never really had it, anyways? Though I do find it amusing when I say something like, "Oh I can't eat that, I'm allergic to chicken," and someone looks dumbfounded, often saying something like, "Is that even possible? You must be making it up so you don't have to eat it!" Really people, really???:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
@fashionista-ta/Melisandre Even old cheese (which is my favorite) doesn't agree with me. Goat/sheep-milk products seem to give less severe reactions, but even then I can take very small amounts. I've had a very unpleasant evening from just a tiny bit of pecorino.
Sometimes I sin as well, like you said pasta needs cheese so every once in a while I take a small amount of parmesan.

I have never tried vegan cheese, what is it made of? I guess I could find it at a whole foods store, might be worth a try.

OMG Mullet, that acetylsalcylic acid allergy is awful!! And celery is in so many things, especially most soups and stews, where mirepoix is used...

I should really be careful, you're right. Maybe I should eat a bunch of snap peas only and see if I react?? Or maybe I should see an allergist...hmmm....

@Ta-ta Definitely fresh cow's milk cheese is the worst. But I don't do well with stuff like Comté either...wow, who would have known that a certain type of apple...were they organic or was it maybe some of the chemicals used?

@Yoninah, I have a friend with a shellfish allergy whose life would be in danger if he ate any. (Another friend is mortally allergic to buckwheat.) For him, we found that cooking those foods separately is not really enough...we had dinner together, and although he said he'd be fine, just the fact that most of the other people at the table were eating shellfish already triggered him and he started getting a little asthmatic. So when he comes I don't even have shellfish in the house. Scary stuff. Allergies are no joke.

@Fewormany, oh no....no pecorino for you....??? :cry: I'm so sorry...it's my favorite cheese...

I think vegan cheese is made of soy?? Look in natural food stores. This year in San Francisco I ordered vegan pizza for the first time in many years, and it tasted like normal pizza...it's worth a try...

^I'd go to an allergist if you can- they can do tests and trust me it'll be a lot less painful to do that then trying to figure out such things on your own. And oh my goodness, I feel for your friend. I'm so lucky that I don't get asthmatic or anything but it's good he has friends like you who understand how severe allergies can be!

@fashionista-ta/Melisandre Even old cheese (which is my favorite) doesn't agree with me. Goat/sheep-milk products seem to give less severe reactions, but even then I can take very small amounts. I've had a very unpleasant evening from just a tiny bit of pecorino.
Sometimes I sin as well, like you said pasta needs cheese so every once in a while I take a small amount of parmesan.

I have never tried vegan cheese, what is it made of? I guess I could find it at a whole foods store, might be worth a try.

I think cashews is fairly common. Has Whole Foods made it to your part of the world? I believe they have some that's decent ... Steve Wynn is vegan now, and his vegan chef (after having another of the Wynn chefs spit out some vegan cheese he thought was OK) went on a quest for good vegan cheese. I think WF carries his product ... this is from an article I read, I think in Food & Wine? Google will probably turn it up ...

PS Melisande, don't think they were organic ... I washed them of course, but that doesn't mean the chemicals are gone ... but have never had this happen before. I thought perhaps it had something to do with that glowing yellow ... not sure.

It's funny I saw this thread right after I took medicine for a allergic reaction to something I ate with my lunch, I'm thinking it was the cream cheese in my wrap. As a child I was allergic to dairy, I didn't even have a piece of chocolate until I was like 12! Eventually I grew out of that allergy for the most part, but I've still got an intolerance to it. Usually it doesn't bother me but it's been acting up lately. They say that as people grow older they are more likely to develop an intolerance to dairy since our bodies don't know how to break it down as much. I've always been allergic to poultry and shellfish, for awhile they thought I might not be allergic to poultry any more but that wasn't the case. I guess since I've never really had either, I don't miss it. Does anyone else who with an allergy like this hate it when people don't seem to understand that food needs to be cooked separately from the offending item? People don't always get it. I've always been quite nice and polite about making sure people understand things can't be cooked with poultry/shellfish but I've still found people to be rude about it. Because my allergies are so prevalent in American food culture I find it easier to be a vegetarian, it helps minimize some of the chances of getting sick. Honestly, I don't really mind it most of the time, how can you miss something if you've never really had it, anyways? Though I do find it amusing when I say something like, "Oh I can't eat that, I'm allergic to chicken," and someone looks dumbfounded, often saying something like, "Is that even possible? You must be making it up so you don't have to eat it!" Really people, really???:blink:

Seems to be fairly common for people to think others are 'making up' allergies. But quite dangerous to the person with the allergies, when others don't take it seriously ...

I think some people claim allergies when they really aren't allergic, so that doesn't help ...

A former coworker was allergic to oranges. When she ordered a drink and it came with an orange slice, she explained it needed to be remade. They just took it out of sight, removed the orange, brought it back, she got sick ... I can only hope she raised hell with the restaurant manager.

I used to mock people with food allergies-_- I couldn't imagine living like that, asking for the ingredients and being in fear that you might actually die from eating take out. It seemed like such a dumb way to go.....until it happened to me, of course:doh:

I became allergic to fish pretty much overnight. Not shellfish, not prawns, just good old fish. It started with a tingling feeling around my lips and even after I took an antihistamine my face got covered in bright red hives and my whole body felt like I was in flames. Few minutes later I went unconscious:ninja: Good thing I live 5 mins away from the hospital. By the time I came back I was shaking so much and felt really really cold. Scariest thing I've ever been through.

You'd be surprised how many things have fish derivatives in them, esp precooked foods like frozen patties, deli meat and of course crab sticks, I can't touch that stuff with a 10 ft pole.:ninja:

I have a light allergy for apples and pears the last couple of years. Before that I never had any reactions whatsoever. When I eat a apple I have light tingle in my tongue and throat, it feels like an irritation, a bit annoying. I continue to eat apples and peers, because the allergy doesn't worsen, it stays the same, I like apples and juicy pears and it doesn't bother me overmuch. There is a subtle difference in reaction between different kinds of apples. Weird body I have! :P

I think cashews is fairly common. Has Whole Foods made it to your part of the world? I believe they have some that's decent ... Steve Wynn is vegan now, and his vegan chef (after having another of the Wynn chefs spit out some vegan cheese he thought was OK) went on a quest for good vegan cheese. I think WF carries his product ... this is from an article I read, I think in Food & Wine? Google will probably turn it up ...

Not the exact whole foods, but we have similar stores over here carrying the same kind of products. :smile:

I've had some weird reaction to appeles a few years ago, I had rash all over my legs and arms. Probably had something to do with the chemicals that were still on them according to my doctor.

dairy- i act up sometimes after taking them but then other times i'm fine
still i try to cut it down
but how can you say no to tiramisu?!

I recently tried some cheese made from goat and sheep milk.
My body seems to agree with that (at least enough for me to be able to justify eating it every now and then :lol:).

I have suspected fructose intolerance. It really messes up my stomach. I'm having a breath test to confirm it in the next couple of weeks.

I have a reaction to exercise. After 10-20 minutes, I develop severely itchy legs and torso. It's an itch that feels much deeper than skin level - there is no relief at all with scratching. It's torturous. If it occurs during a run or walk, I am so physically irritated, I have to do deep breathing to try calm myself on the way home. If I take an antihistamine a couple of hours beforehand, I'm okay, but the fear of it happening is always in the back of my mind...

I'm also allergic to sunscreen, which has only just happened in the last year or so! I develop a red, itchy, scaly rash. When I came back from Thailand, everyone thought my face was severely sunburned, but it was actually the allergic reaction :doh:. Makes it hard with skincare and makeup with SPF.

I always used to take other people's allergies very lightly but recently I've encountered a linseed(flaxseed) allergy which pretty much developed overnight. The allergic reaction manifested mainly in my face (swelling of lips and eye area which became very itchy), but antihistamines saved it. The problem I now have is those racoon-ish dark circles around my eyes which I imagine is an after effect from the allergic reactions, I believe its because I rubbed it. I'm absolutely struggling to get rid of it. Am trying a retinol eye cream at night, and obviously a mens moisturiser with sunscreen during the day. My sister recommended buttermilk & tumeric eye mask, but it doesnt seem to be helping. Its frustrating. So if anybody knows of any advice, please let me know.

I have a fructose-intolerance. In july I´m going to Florida on holidays, does anyone knows safe brands to buy?

I seem to have developed an intolerance for wheat/gluten products, so I've cut way back on them in my day to day diet. I was suffering with chronic stomach pains and digestive issues for about a year, and once I cut out wheat and gluten they stopped. It was such a relief. I can now eat wheat maybe once or twice over the course of a few days, but not as much as I used to. I'm also unable to eat apples and pears, as they give me intense and immediate pains in the stomach. Which sucks, because I love apples.

have you let that checked? It could be something else than gluten. It´s weird your can´t eat apples and gluten... Or do you have any pollen allergy?

have you let that checked? It could be something else than gluten. It´s weird your can´t eat apples and gluten... Or do you have any pollen allergy?

I'm waiting to see a gastroenterologist to be officially diagnosed, but for now I'm just avoiding the foods that I know have a negative effect on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->