Do you think Milan fashion week should relocate to another Italian city ?

Party.in.Paris

Reaction score
I always think that Milan is not a good representation of the Italian art and fashion.

I would love to see the shows in a city like Rome, Florence or Venice.

Just imagine how more inspiring this would be.

When I heard models on fashion Tv or in any interview saying they dislike Milan or how they always prefer other fashion cities, I feel like it's a shame that the Italian shows and the Italian fashion is presented in a city that is far from being the best representation of the country.
Even though most of the fashion houses are based in Milan that doesn't mean the shows cannot be presented in a different city.

Florence would be my personal favorite choice. Venice is incredibly beautiful but I think that in terms of logistic it'd be difficult to make the fashion week happen there (I think).
Florence seems like a perfect choice and after all it used be the heart of the italian art and fashion way before Milan.
Rome isn't a bad choice either at all though.

So, do you guys think it'd be better, more inspiring, prettier, more interesting and that it'd fit better the italian aesthetic of fashion to see the shows in a different city or do you, on the contrary, think that Milan is a good choice, or do you think that the city doesn't matter after all.

It's impractical. As you said, most labels have their studios and headquarters in Milan, and most of the suppliers are located within the surrounding areas. People don't go to fashion week to see the sites of the city, they go to see the collections.

The only reason why Paris fashion week is in Paris, or New York fashion week is in New York is because that's where that country's garment industry is located. It's not about, nor should it be about, which city is prettiest.

I understand your point, well it's not even a point it's true. but in the case of Italy I think it's different. Paris is a capital of fashion it's a beautiful city that screams fashion at every corner it's inspiring and has always been the center of fashion, the rest of france is far from being fashionable.
Rome, Florence, and Venice has always been very important in terms of fashion and art major poles in Italy and I think that it'd be a better choice for italian choice to go back to one of those city.
Of course people go to fashion week to see the collections and not the cites. but I do think that the city where it's presented is important. When people from the fashion world go to paris fashion week, they're excited, thrilled, they love it, celebrities love going there and i'm sure it's not only for the collections but somehow a little bit because Paris is beautiful and a true fashion city.

Plus, Cavalli is originaly a florence designer, and valentino from Rome they even presented a few shows in their respective cities.

I know that the headquarters, studios and everything are in Milan but does it really mean it's impossible to do the shows in a different city, I'm not sure...

I can sympathize with the notion. Italy is full of manufacturers and artisans throughout the country (especially around Florence for high end clothing and Padova outside Venice for shoes and leathers). Albini even showed in Venice in the 70's.
Point is, Milan is HIDEOUS, CRASS and so uninspiring as to be depressing (I lived there). It is however, the financial and commercial center for Italy. Florence has its menswear and fabric/yarn fairs while Rome tries desperately to inflate its image with "Couture" but is simply too chaotic and disorganized for that to come together.
My choice would easily be VENICE: it already hosts international events like the Biennale and the renowned film festival, has easy flights from its airport (unlike Malpensa in Milan which is an hr+ away!). There is a vast industry throught the Veneto region who are well organized. Obviously it also has the discrete elegance and mystery that would compliment luxury collections.

OP, if you relocate Milan fashion week to Rome it wouldn't be called Milan fashion week anymore. "Milan Fashion Week in Florence" lol

I guess you are talking about Milan being the fashion capital of the world.
If you ask me, Tokyo, Japan should be the capital of fashion. Paris is too overrated.

commercially i think MILAN is a better option.

florence is too small a city to relocate a fashion week. its more a tourist destination......

ROME is couture and has its own fashion weeks twice a year.

so I think Milan is right even though it might not be that exaggerated like Paris.....

No :D
Sorry, but Milan just equals fashion to me and it truly is Italy's fashion capital. It's just the way it is. For instance, where did American Apparel open its first store (in Italy)? In Milan. Where is Abercrombie & Fitch's only store located in Italy? In Milan. I know we are not talking about those brands, which have nothing to do with fashion week's designers :smile: but just to make you understand that, fashion-wise speaking, Milan is really the place to be, in Italy.
I understand that it can appear less "pretty" than Rome, or Venice, or Florence. But Milan is really a great city, is modern, is actually cool. Of course if you are there for just 3 days like many models are, you won't really enjoy Milan, its fabulous nightlife, the many shops, its every corner...
And apart from the fact that almost every designer is based in Milan, you have no idea how hard it would be to organize a proper fashion week in a city like Venice...Hello, it's an island. You can't even drive a car there. There are like 60.000 inhabitants, it's really a small city. Venice and Florence are much smaller compared to Milan and they don't offer as many facilities (Malpensa Airport is actually the biggest and best airport in the country. And it's 45 mins from downtown Milan).
Maybe they could host a couture-only fashion week, which I guess would be smaller than a regular fashion week... but I really can't imagine any other italian city hosting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
milan is a pain for me even though it is only 4 hours drive away for me..
i really NEVER go there and see my designers in paris or london!!!
pls move to FLORENCE, makes much more sense with Piti etc

At this point, I think there is too much of an association with Milan as the Italian Fashion Week capital. And Milan is a very business oriented city from what I gather, so it's probably nice for the citizens to have something as exciting as a Fashion Week to go to.

didn't the main italian fashion week back in the day (15-20+ years ago?) used to be in ROME? when did it relocate to milan? i think rome makes sense since it's the italian capital city.

I think they might have been showing couture in Rome (even though I'm not sure, I just remember it)...but as for ready-to-wear, I don't think so...

No :D
Sorry, but Milan just equals fashion to me and it truly is Italy's fashion capital. It's just the way it is. For instance, where did American Apparel open its first store (in Italy)? In Milan. Where is Abercrombie & Fitch's only store located in Italy? In Milan. I know we are not talking about those brands, which have nothing to do with fashion week's designers :smile: but just to make you understand that, fashion-wise speaking, Milan is really the place to be, in Italy.
I understand that it can appear less "pretty" than Rome, or Venice, or Florence. But Milan is really a great city, is modern, is actually cool. Of course if you are there for just 3 days like many models are, you won't really enjoy Milan, its fabulous nightlife, the many shops, its every corner...
And apart from the fact that almost every designer is based in Milan, you have no idea how hard it would be to organize a proper fashion week in a city like Venice...Hello, it's an island. You can't even drive a car there. There are like 60.000 inhabitants, it's really a small city. Venice and Florence are much smaller compared to Milan and they don't offer as many facilities (Malpensa Airport is actually the biggest and best airport in the country. And it's 45 mins from downtown Milan).
Maybe they could host a couture-only fashion week, which I guess would be smaller than a regular fashion week... but I really can't imagine any other italian city hosting it.

^^THIS

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->