Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda Haute Couture F/W 2024.25 Sardinia

I alway enjoy their shows because unlike many traditional fashion houses they haven't given up on the fantasy and dream of fashion. In a world full of bad news on a daily, its always good to have a moment to escape and enjoy unapologetic glamour. I loved the set and what was presented but not together. The baroque somewhat dark glamour of the clothes seemed to contrast with the glass/water which gave a more cityscape like vibe. The gold against the blues/silver tones didnt blend in. This would have looked even better in a more lavish baroque themed set.

The clothes are beautiful so is the location and show but as always their shows have way too many looks. Its hard to watch the entire show, easier to look at pictures but then one misses on the detail and movement.

^^
I notice that they had reduced the number of looks in the past few RTW shows ( less than 60 per collection ). Alta Moda/Sartoria focusing more on entertainment and their passion of Italy rather than being strictly fashion-oriented like the main collections.

There’s something weird about Dolce Gabbana Alta Sartoria.
I feel like those are clothes for men who don’t dress themselves. And it’s weird because i think it can only be applied to their Alta Sartoria.
This is either for men who have stylists or men who are dressed by their wives and who unfortunately end up wearing clothes that mimic their wives’s styles.

I love there Altas shows. It feel like they take these event very seriously and I feel like it's always nice to learn about very specific Italian cultures. Clothes, on the other hand, could be better.

I don't know what to think of these two guys: if anything, I admire the fact that their product is solid, which explains their resilience in such a volatile market.
However, their work is not relevant and hasn't been for such a long time...and this show is no exception.
I was under the illusion that Karl Templer had managed to steer them away from their predictable, more is more aesthetic, their last RTW shows were in fact much sleeker and palatable that their usual. But I was wrong apparently.

Speaking in general, I care little that Couture still has a lot of customers: if this is what they ask for, it's an empty, meaningless exercise.
Maybe their work is relevant but the powers that be of the media don’t allow it to flourish anymore. “Relevancy” is more or less defined by the media in the modern age, and I think it’s entertaining to see a successful house that they don’t control

Maybe their work is relevant but the powers that be of the media don’t allow it to flourish anymore. “Relevancy” is more or less defined by the media in the modern age, and I think it’s entertaining to see a successful house that they don’t control
I agree but also this can be a downfall there's somewhere right in the middle and then you have something like Gucci which is in dismal state and they're very popular so is Chanel and lots of other top brands these guys have steered clear and stayed in their own lane successfully

“Relevancy” is more or less defined by the media in the modern age, and I think it’s entertaining to see a successful house that they don’t control
You and I attach very different meaning to the word "relevant" apparently. For me it's not the same as commercially successful, which D&G obviously are, no question about that.
But being, I don't want to say disruptive ( oh, I hate the word in fact ), but at least not predictable, focused, able to rework your style codes in a fresh way...I mean, I know after so many years in the business you can hardly be expected to turn the tables, but if Armani can still be interesting, why can't they?
And I don't understand why you think people like me (or most of us here, actually) are so susceptible to the choices of fashion magazines - which, by the way, I stopped buying ages ago.

I think the problem with D&G is the fact that, despite their product mastery and business acumen (save Stefano's questionable PR skills), they are not very cultured as designers or individuals: having intellectual curiosity and resources can make wonders on the long run. Everything they do bears no weight because it comes from a very shallow creative approach, mostly made of common-places and clichés about South-Italian women and their sex-appeal.

Last edited:
Saying Dolce and Gabbana aren't cultured, is so bizarre and laughable. No one is doing what they're doing in fashion.
Their collections are sensual, glamorous, and full of life. That is what fashion is supposed to be. Their Alta Moda shows consistently crush whatever they're attempting in Paris, and their locales are always incredible.

I find the brilliance of Dolce & Gabbana lies in their unforced approach to fashion. They never seem to feign when it comes to exploring new concepts and resources to fuel their creativity.
To truly assess the spirit of a fashion brand and its distinctive codes, one must combine historical methods with observations of the brand's development and practical operations. We cannot judge a designer solely based on personal aesthetic preferences, as everyone's sense of beauty is inherently different. This is an obvious fact. What we can do, and what any fashion critic or journalist can do, is compare and contrast, looking at the brand's history in relation to what it has become today. If a brand no longer succeeds, and its designs no longer resonate as they once did, then we might temporarily assume it has lost its relevance.

DG has experienced many ups and downs. Their story began in the late 80s, they were on the rise in the 90s, and reached their peak in the 2000s. Each period left a significant mark on the public, and when looking back, it’s hard to believe these eras belong to the same brand. I think this is an evolution, a breakthrough for them personally, and they deserve recognition for these efforts.

Fashion is not art and never will be. Fashion is clothes, bags, accessories – they are not created just to be admired. Fashion serves the purpose of each individual, enhancing the beauty of the wearer. Designers do not create fashion just for lifeless mannequins. Art also brings beauty, but it is a beauty that exists for its own sake, inherent in the artwork itself, not for others. What is fashion for if not to be worn/purchased ?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Forum Statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jader
    Back
    monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
    <-- Admiral -->