Downton Abbey

^I agree, I actually find Dan Stevens to be a bit of prat when it comes to his career, like I'm sure he's a lovely guy, but really it's like, your career may never get any better then this so enjoy it while you can. And if Dan's worried about his career, never being seen as anything but Matthew Crawley, how do you think Daniel Radcliffe felt after playing Harry Potter for 10 years? And he's managed to do other things and be a success outside of what made him famous. So it is possible. God, I can only imagine what sort of uproar this is going to cause when the episode/season airs here in America. It isn't going to be pretty.... :unsure:

^ I agree with MulletProof and YoninahAliza! I don't like it when actors/actresses decide to quit their roles out of the fear that they will be "stuck" in it. :ninja: Don't they know this act will upset their fans? And these "roles" are the reasons of their success. Ironically, I don't see many actors/actresses who are still "successful" after quitting their "best-known" roles. I think the same thing will happen on Stevens too.

As much as I like him, he is quite unprofessional.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think the reason he declined to renew the contract is movies to be honest. They get offered them and they can't fit them around the TV schedule, and think ultimately they'll be better off for taking the movies. There's probably much more money in them too. It's a shame, but I reckon that's what happens. Lady Sybil is going into the movies rather successfully it seems.

In Dan's defence, he has done a fair bit of TV. Downton, whilst being his most successful show, isn't his only TV drama by far. He did an adaptation of The Line Of Beauty for BBC, along with a version of Sense & Sensibility, and adaptation of the The Turn of the Screw...

Maybe I'm being stupid here but I sometimes wonder if the storyline was always going to be the same but they invent some sort of other reasons before the characters die and the actors leave the show. Like a sort of consolation for the audience (and also the actors) by saying the actors have better work elsewhere. Maybe it was planned from the start that Lady Sybil was to die during childbirth and Matthew was to die in an accident.

What I liked in the last episode was Thomas' storyline with Jimmy. I thought they kept it real when Jimmy said he couldn't give Thomas what he wanted but could be his friend. I was hoping that would happen instead of Jimmy miraculously being attracted towards Thomas like it happens in many gay storylines these days. There is still so much homophobia than the TV sitcoms want us to believe *Glee:sick:, Hollyoaks:sick:*.

I'll be the voice of dissent here and say that I'm not mad at Stevens for leaving. He's an actor, but it's a job like any other. If any of us was unhappy in our careers or harbored broader ambitions, most likely we would leave, too, successful or not. My biggest problem was how he exited. Truthfully, the writing this season has been scatterbrained and generally lackluster. But I don't even know if I'm going to watch next year given how lazy these guys have become. So two Crawleys die right after the birth of their children? That's one major coincidence. I know Stevens was leaving so they had to find a way to write him out believably and considering how in love he was with Mary, no one would ever buy him walking out on his wife AND newborn child. But at least switch it up a little. Let him spend a few months with the kid before you off him at least. Really anything would have been better than that contrived, manipulative conclusion they put us through on the Christmas special.

I have to admit I was so angry to hear that he's leaving and than to see his exit it made me even angrier. I know it's just his job but Matthew was one of my favourite characters and he and Mary were one of the best couples on television.
I hope they will find a way to make great next season without him.

Vogue Germany January 2013
Photos by Bruce Weber

I never thought of Rob James Collier as a hottie but he looks really good in these pics :smile:

ebook3000.com

Rob (or Thomas) was always my favorite from his first entrance in the first episode, where he kind of struts arrogantly around the house (even as a servant he always carried himself above "his station" so to speak) and asked, "Any sign of William?" :crush: And when I think Daisy or someone shakes her head, he gives this really sexy smirk...yeah, I was in love. And yes, again, he turned out to be evil incarnate, at least for the first couple of seasons, but I'll always love his character. And I pretty much always found him hot and confident.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great show and the only episode I found annoying was the last one. Yes, my favourite character left the show (and I'd say he's one of the best actors as well) but moreover, it was really obvious it was coming. All that blatant love and happiness....no show can thrive on that.

I found Lady Sybil's character somewhat annoying, and her exit was very graceful. Matthew's looks more like the result of a bitter battle between the writers and Dan Stevens....they had better sign the next actor up for three years plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm addicted. I'm currently on season 2 episode 5 and I only started on Saturday. Can't wait for the rest of the episodes. :clap:

I've just got the Christmas episode to watch but season 2 was really slow and was it just me but were the storylines a tad bit predictable? I can't believe Lord Grantham kissed the maid! I was super shocked! I'm really glad they mentioned O'Brien and the baby again, it was good to see her guilty conscience.

My favourite have been Anna and Mr Bates, even from the beginning.

In Mulletproof's fashion I had a week long marathon on DA. Last year I saw the two first series in about three days, I agree it would feel the episodes move too slow if watched as they come.

It seems like I'm the only one that didn't mind about Matthew and Sybil. I was shocked both times and nearly abandon ship too, but I really like the development of Branson's character. That couldn't have happened with Sybil there, finally he stopped with all the nonsense, I was getting really tired of him bringing up the same bshit about his country on every dinner.

The thing with Matthew is that I think the plot will be much more interesting with Mary running things. It was a bittersweet ending for me, but Matthew already made his job by providing an heir and saving DA from bankruptcy, still so much death this season.

^ Yeah me too, watched the first two episodes :heart:

The children are adorable, however I find Nanny West and Edna Braithwaite extremely obnoxious lol :lol: Also, I LOVE Edith's wardrobe, it is gorgeous.

Must say I'm really enjoying the new season :heart:
Same here, have to say i was worried where they will take it, and if they can recover from one of the major actors leaving. But i think so far they did mange, this is turning out to be a very interesting season.

The events in last episode shocked, and made me gasp with horror from my couch, but it was handled so well. Now i just want justice!!!

^It was terrible - one of those real examples of bad things happening to good people...it was sort of cleverly written because Rose's behaviour had me worried something similar would happen to her...but instead THIS.

^ I actually think the thing between Rose and Sam was very sweet - I could see that Sam is a decent guy. Sadly they would probably never work out. What happened to Anna was absolutely horrible. I felt awful for that this whole time. Sad to see a good person like her suffered from it. Now I want this man (forgot his name) to be punished for what he has done to her. Ugh.

^ That is what killed me, i mean of all characters on this show, Anna is such a good person!! But then guy's like him pray on people like that, i need to see this man pay for his actions, it was incredibly upsetting. And even though they backed out of the room, it kinda made my skin crawl even more, it had a huge impact, poor Anna!!!

And the end? When he thanked them for taking care of him? What a pig!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->