Dries van Noten S/S 2021 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by vogue28, Sep 30, 2020.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

VOGUE.COM

2. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

3. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

Where´s Dries here??

4. iixcarmen

iixcarmen New Member

I really like the colour combination, not sure if it’s conventional but It’s creative in my opinion

5. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

Those pictures would make an enticing editorial but I need to see the clothes as clear as possible. This is why I still prefer a regular lookbook to an elaborate fashion imagery when it comes to presenting a runway-less, new collection.

6. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

Is that really from Dries van Noten ? I had to double-check to see an ounce of Dries...

7. bc collector

bc collector Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that this is all fashion has to offer at the moment, whether we like it or not.

Here and in the other major collections, I feel designers have restrained themselves from big gestures, either because they feel it's not time appropriate (and I partially agree) or because - let's not forget - lock-down has impacted the industry at all levels, including fabric suppliers, embroiderers et alia: for smaller brands, that even in normal times have to fight for their sunny spot with bigger, more financially stable competitors, creating a collection now was even more challenging than usual.

8. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

So the world is miserable, we should be miserable as well? :rofl:

I understand your point and it is totally valid. I am just the type of person that when a situation is sh*tty I put my best look.

I was expected Dries to cheer us up and I prefer a brand that will wait to get better fabrics or whatever they need to have a nice collection than the ones showing up like business is usual yet showing 1/4 of themselves...

9. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

As has been mentioned you've got to mute all that noise to get to the clothes, maybe it was done on purpose to obscure the garments lack of panache or he just thought it might be better to have fun with the lookbook.

Lousy collection either way, but there's always a next season, I guess...

jeanclaude likes this.
  10. WAVES

WAVES Well-Known Member

Dries goes minimalistic. after last seasons lavish collection I’m so so surprised to see this.
    I mean it’s not bAd. or is it? I’m confused.
    I wish we could see better all of the looks but I think of Jill Sander mixed with the Row and bits of Celine (before Slimane, obviously) and Prada and God knows what.
    I don’t see Dries.

Darko, jeanclaude and RedSmokeRise like this.
  11. Norden

Norden Active Member

I think it’s very nice. The clothes are simple dried clothes, lots of the pieces have his signature in proportion and detailing. vivian sassens photography is beautiful.

I like it alot, it’s a breather after a row of really beautiful collections.

12. bc collector

Yes, man, I get your point too, but in the meantime these poor designers must put something on the rails of their stores and wholesalers, to keep the business going some way or another.
    I have been very critical of most of what I have seen so far too, don't get me wrong, but then I thought - along the lines of Mary Grace's philosophy - that we should all be realistic. And consider the objective, material limitations that designers, especially the non-corporate ones, have faced this past few months.
    I have less tolerance for brands like Prada or Dior, who, even during hard times, have the workshops and contractual power with suppliers to do better than what they did...Fendi was there to remind us it was possible.
    I am just waiting to see what Rick will come out with to make my final judgement of the season.

13. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

Shockingly uncharacteristic of Dries.
    It's not for me.

14. eugenius

eugenius Well-Known Member

I can't hate this at all. I mean, if you're expecting any sort of greatness from anybody right now, you're surely setting yourself up for disappointment.

But swimwear? Really?

15. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I love look 16! It’s just a right combination! I need that laser cut skirt anyway!

I get the intention with the lookbook buy I can’t with the effects! I want to see the clothes! That being said, this is better than his FW2020.

RedSmokeRise, bc collector and Ruito like this.
  16. Ruito

Ruito Active Member

Never thought I'd see the day I wouldn't like a Dries Van Noten collection but here we are!

jeanclaude likes this.
  17. Ruito

Ruito Active Member

yeah, that was a bit of a shock.

18. Ruito

Ruito Active Member

I
    I agree with everything you've said but note that Dries Van Noten is now a corporate brand, no longer independent unfortunately! :smile:

19. velvetandsilk

velvetandsilk Active Member

He has special relation with a few textile comapany. They produce beautiful and unique fabric but sometimes this kind of textile is woven 2-3 month. Today standarts fabric is produce in 2 weeks.

Ruito and YohjiAddict like this.
  20. bc collector

You're right, but I was thinking more about LVMH, Kering or the >€1billion businesses in general.
    Albeit part of a group, I think DVN is far from being corporate in mentality or practice - for now...

Ruito, Phuel and YohjiAddict like this.