Dries Van Noten - Designer

i left my heart in 02 Dries...:heart:

That's one of my faves too!

Runner, I'm SO SO SO jealous you have this book! I can't find it anywhere! :cry: Thank you so much for sharing :flowers:

Dries Van Noten is my favourite designer! My earliest piece of his is from his 2000 collection :heart:

a beautiful book for a lovely creature...:winkiss:...

thank you so much for sharing all of these images with us runner dear...
all the prints and proportions are so timeless...
"eternal" is a good word LaurieAnn...

:P

I should have a video of F/W 97 somewhere in my place.
I remember it was great.
and it made me strongly conscious of the end of the century.
also some apocalyptic mood pervaded S/S 99.

maybe it's all the red in both collections?...
:heart:

Carte Blanche for Dries van Noten at the windows of the Culture Ministry of France
One window for each theme and main emotion.

2zfmt69.jpg

2jam73q.jpg

10g045x.jpg
2061tud.jpg

2i915k6.jpg

2cnutfb.jpg

scanned by me from the ss09 lookbook/catalog

i just looooove Van Notens designs :heart:

he is so good in what hes creating!!!!

Dries Van Noten shot to fame in 1986 as part of the famous antwerp six and has ruled the runway roost ever since. the Belgian star designer, who is in town today for a private dinner hosted by Vibha and Rajat Kejriwal, responds to queries from t2 over email
23fashion1.jpg
India is a big part of your design sensibility. What is your first impression of India and how has it changed over the last few decades?
Since my first collection, I’ve used elements from all over the world, India included. I’m really fascinated by other cultures, other dress codes and some of my collections had been inspired by culture yet still remain the fruit of my imagination, an interpretation. What has been beautiful for me in my relationship with the Indian craftspeople who assist me in producing my collections over the years is that, with time, there has been a great evolution in the expression of what we produce. There is no pressure nor necessity that what we collaborate on seems “Indian”… It can, should we wish it to, yet it also and increasingly is more widely referenced.​
Indian designers idolise you. What do you want to say to them?
Thank you for your support and belief and keep up your good and important work! There is a place for your creative voice in the world.​
Antwerp, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Paris, Singapore, Dubai… When will Dries Van Noten come to India?​
There are no immediate plans for a Dries Van Noten shop yet. Everything in its own time!​
Men’s collection: Autumn-Winter 2004-05
What were your first feelings after being awarded International Designer of the Year 2008 by the Council of Fashion Designers of America?
Though I felt very honoured there was also something mildly intimidating in the responsibility it brought along!​
Your accessories have reached the most coveted list but do you believe in the ‘it’ phenomenon?
“It” can be just that... IT! Yet, we prefer “Also” to “IT”, we prefer that accessories remain just that… accessories.​
How would you describe a Dries Van Noten woman or man?
My creations are not addressed to one type of men or women. I propose many possibilities of wearing garments but never wish to impose. I let the wearer create their own expression in mixing my garments with those of their wardrobe or other labels. Authenticity and the individuality of a personal style is paramount.​
Women’s collection: Autumn-Winter 2003-04
You are known never to advertise. When and what prompted you to make that decision and stick with it?
It was a decision born more from budgetary necessity than strategy at the time. And it remains so today.​
How important is it in the West to have celebrities wearing your creations? Does it give them an edge, considering you are known as one of the most cerebral designers?
It can be important from a marketing point of view, yet we are more interested in touching other creative people with our work for the creative exchange that it fosters than simply due to their fame as “celebrities”.​
Your Paris shows are always spectacular. Why and how did this trend begin? Is it okay that the drama contradicts your design rather than complement it?
Fashion shows are the way to express myself. For me, fashion shows are far more than just models and clothes. I see them as a theatre where many elements are mixed together to create a unique atmosphere and define a specific message. From the very beginning we have always tried to do something different. We attempt to convey emotion, not just in the clothing but also at a visual level. Fashion shows will always remain the privileged method for me to express what I have worked on for each collection. I find great pleasure in their conception and putting them into practice. At the end of it all, there is something to be said for witnessing the moment when all the effort put into them comes off as well as you hoped.​
And, lastly, what do you love most about India?
The beauty and serenity of its people and the vastness and intimacy of its land!​
The Telegraph, Kolkata

Ooh, thanks for sharing that with us Snow-White :flower: Loved reading that interview :smile:

just want to point out ,for anyone who has FashionTV dries will be featured on Designer Marathon

there's one tonight at midnight (Pacific Time)

you see a very young Dries :wink: still has a baby face and head full of curly hair :wub:

source | themoment.blogs.nytimes.com

Dries Van Noten maintains a low profile, but his work still finds its way to the top.

Now Honoring | Dries Van Noten

By Horacio Silva

The Belgian designer Dries Van Noten is famously allergic to the spotlight. Ironic, then, that the more he eschews the attention, the more he is celebrated. Van Noten, who last year received the C.F.D.A. award for International Designer of the Year, is being honored tomorrow in New York by the Couture Council of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology (F.I.T.) with its 2009 Award for Artistry of Fashion. (The award was chosen by the Couture Council Advisory Committee, whose members include Dr. Valerie Steele, director and chief curator of the Museum at F.I.T.; Pamela Golbin, curator of the Musée de la Mode; and Julie Gilhart of Barneys New York, among others.) The Moment caught up with Van Noten on the eve of his latest accolade.

The Dries Van Noten label has such a strong brand identity, but little is known about the man whose name appears on it. Has this been a conscious strategy on your part?
Yes, I think I tell enough about myself when I make my clothes and when I show them. I don’t need people to buy clothes for who I am; I prefer them to buy things that I create. I don’t want to hide myself — I think I am actually quite open about a lot of things. But my private life has to stay my private life.

For someone who seemingly has such an uncomfortable relationship with celebrity, do awards like the one you’re receiving from the Couture Council mean anything to you?
They mean a lot to me, especially this one because it’s given by people in the fashion industry whose opinion I really appreciate. And I’m very happy that it’s for artistry in fashion. It’s something I cherish — I love to make beautiful things and translate art into garments by experimenting with textures and colors. It’s one of the reasons I like to stay independent because I have not only financial freedom but mental freedom. I can make things I like without having pressure from somebody else.

Artists usually make for bad business people.
True. But I’m very aware of sell-through figures and business things like this. I keep all these things in mind, but if I decide, like I did last season, that I want to make a collection without any flowers, then I can make a collection without flowers. There is no one saying, “You’re known for flowers so please include here and there a little flower or two.”

It’s amazing to me that you have never advertised, or done any collaborations, or focused on the accessories that are bank for most designers. You’ve really stuck to your guns and slowly built up your business. Have you always been clear about your path?
In the beginning, there was an economic reason for everything. We never did advertising or publicity because we simply didn’t have the budget for it. But when we had the financial possibility we saw that in fact for the type of clothes we make it was probably better not to advertise. As for growing the business, I am happy with the situation as it is. I like to make clothes so I don’t need to expand enormously my accessory business. For me an accessory is what the word suggests — an accessory. Clothes are 93 percent and 7 percent is shoes and bags, and I would like to keep it that way.

Are you often approached by the Uniqlos, Zaras and H&M’s of the world?
Not so often, but there are enough inspired garments in those stores to last for a long time. They can survive without me.

Yours is a very personal view of contemporary glamour. Can you articulate for me what that vision is?
It’s a very personal way of dressing. I don’t like to create head-to-toe outfits. I prefer to make garments for people to wear in lots of different ways. It’s important that they can make the clothes their own and wear them in any way they want to express what they want to say about themselves.

Are you so laissez-faire at work or are you very micromanaging?
I try to control as much as I can, and that’s getting more and more difficult as the company grows. There is not one paillette or one yarn of knitwear that goes out before I’ve seen it. It’s actually the fun part of the job. I think it would be a pity if the company becomes so big that I have to give direction to my creative team because I’m busy traveling and showing myself at a lot of events.

A lot has been made about your love of gardening and antiques and art and literature, but I’m quite interested to know what kind of music you like.
It depends on my mood. I’m really a mood person — you can see that in my clothes — so you can imagine what my music collection is like. Sometimes it’s more loud music, while at home most of the time it’s classical music, going from Monteverdi to Handel to Schubert and Schumann. In my car or in the office, it can be anything from the ’50s, ’60s, ’80s, whatever. But usually it’s more up-to-date modern music.

(A dog is barking in the background.)

Really? I can’t think of a designer under 60 who appears to be less interested in popular culture than you. Is that an unfair assessment?
I don’t know. But I really try to live in the now. It’s not that I try to live in a fake world or that I don’t respect the past or tradition, but I make clothes for now, I think.

So what elements of popular culture interest you then? Can we expect you to be dressing Britney for her next tour?
Why not? Kylie Minogue and Madonna are also possibilities, why not? I think that popular culture is part of the world and something else that needs to be looked at and interpreted in whatever way works for you.

(The barking in the background is getting increasingly louder.)

Sorry, my little dog Harry is getting wild. He is on a fourth floor balcony, and he can see his girlfriend passing by.

What sort of dog is it — other than horny?
It’s an Airedale terrier, a very horny Airedale terrier for the moment. He’s only 10 months old so he’s a little too young to be horny.

Before I let you go, part of the fun of going to your show is wondering what part of the world you’re going to take the audience to as there are always so many multi-culti references. Do you actually travel that much or are they the result of flights of fancy?

I travel in my mind. I don’t think you have to travel to be inspired. On the contrary, I think it would kill inspiration when you travel too much to countries that inspire you. Sometimes for me it’s more important for me to find one little picture of a flower in a hand or a jewel or whatever — the rest I can dream about. It’s the little sparkle that lights the fire of inspiration that’s important, not where you find it.

mma, thanks for posting this insightful and mindful post. dries always comes across as a thoughtful, purposeful, enlightened man. he seems to take his work seriously, and its impact, but not so much himself. he is the artist of the fashion culture who thankfully has kept his independence from the grip of conglomerates. one of the few people in fashion i would love to spend a day in the studio watching him work.

need to mention...he looks so handsome in that perfectly fitted suit.

Thanks for postingm, MMA! How I do love this man so. :flower:

images from "apocrifu"
costumes by dries van noten

l-invitu
fashionjp

Attachments

• apocrifu_b.jpg
    apocrifu_b.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 22
  • apocrifu.jpg
    apocrifu.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 13
He is SO freaking amazing! One of the most talented designers out there..
I always love his collections-ALWAYS

An interview from Dazed Digital

http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/8241/1/fashion-icon-dries-van-noten-

My favorite of the interview is the last part, about inspiration, which is so very true. What an articulate man.

FASHION ICON: DRIES VAN NOTEN

The legendary Belgian designer gives Dazed Digital a rare interview, talking about independence, fashion muses and growing up in the 1970s.

20ij2v5.jpg

Dries Van Noten’s exotic, yet coolly chic designs, have been a consistent highlight of the seasonal runways ever since he set up his eponymous label in London in 1986—putting his home country of Belgium firmly on the fashion map, alongside Walter Van Beirendonck, Ann Demeulemeester and Dirk Bikkembergs as part of the game-changing Antwerp Six collective. Inducted into the fashion game early on (Dries' father was a prominent shopkeeper, his grandfather was a tailor), he has remained at the forefront of the industry by never compromising his creative vision (his company has remained independent throughout the course of his two decades in the business) nor catering to passing fads. Dazed Digital caught up with him to pick his brains.

Dazed Digital: Which person has inspired you most in your work?
Dries Van Noten: The list is extremely long. Various different people have inspired me throughout my career. From Francis Bacon to Vassareli, Coco Chanel to Christian Dior, Cecil Beaton, musicians, architects… the list is endless. When we were studying at the Royal Antwerp Academy we were taught to seek inspiration from everyone, everything and everywhere. My parents and grandparents were also a great inspiration for me a very young age.

DD: Is simplicity important to you?
Dries Van Noten: Absolutely. I think that it’s a necessity in life. Working in fashion, the maelstrom of colour, fabric and collections that one puts a lot of thought into, incites a reflex for a need for simplicity. This is why I find respite at home in Antwerp in my house and garden, where things are calm and relaxed.

DD: Would you say you’re more of a conceptualist or a romantic?
Dries Van Noten: I’d say both! I’m not sure that either are mutually exclusive. I hope that as a contemporary fashion designer, one does not have to automatically align oneself to either school. I’m sure people would be more inclined to view me as a romantic and although I appreciate this, I hope to shake their perception from time to time.

DD: Your latest men’s collection is inspired by mods and skinheads—what part do youth and adolescence play in your designs?
Dries Van Noten: I wouldn’t say it is directly inspired by these movements rather than taking a nod in their direction. In the design process there’s a need to be culturally comprehensive. Younger people tend to be more obvious in showing their creativity through clothing, hairstyles and their appearance. It’s the earnestness and naivity of youth that inspires. On other occasions, our design process can easily be borne from something non-youth related and be found in anything from a reading, photo to a piece of music for example.

DD: Have you had to struggle to stay independent?
Dries Van Noten: Yes. Though, the ‘price’ has been worth paying. We never sought a partnership throughout the history of the company. I do think however that if there was ever a time we may have even considered a partnership would have been that moment in the 90’s when the big groups were buying everybody up. An interesting moment indeed, but one that I’m glad we were able to get through. That was the fortunate thing having been auto-financed from the very beginning. We never really needed to think about it. This independence and liberty meant I was, and still am, able to grow as I wish and to do exactly what I want in a creative sense. It leads me to be able to really do my best to bring out a different personality in each collection that I produce.

DD: You had a pretty fashion-heavy childhood. Was there any ever question of going into another industry?
Dries Van Noten: Not to my knowledge ever.

DD: Any teenage fashion disasters you care to mention?
Dries Van Noten: I was a teenager in the 70s, it was one big disaster!

DD: Your stores are all very carefully curated—do you think you have your father’s salesman gene, despite yourself? And are you ever tempted to go into interiors?
Dries Van Noten: I think by my father owning a store, I was definitely aware of the commercial aspect of selling clothes. His shop was a place I enjoyed spending time in as a boy, so I learned things almost by osmosis at times, by literally just being around all the action and not really despite myself. As for our stores, my passion for art, antiques and architecture is that strong that it just made sense to go in that direction with our boutiques. As for going into interiors on a permanent basis, I think that in opening more and more stores around the world, my appetite is sufficiently whet for that aspect of my career for now.

DD: Where do you feel most at home?
Dries Van Noten: Guess where...

DD: A print you wish you’d designed?
Dries Van Noten: There are simply too many and of so many styles, ethnic, modern etc. I find it impossible to answer.

DD: Can you give as a hint about what’s coming up for Spring 2011 womenswear?
Dries Van Noten: A nod towards our men’s collection for the same season and a wink of… Well, let’s see!

- DAZEDDIGITAL.COM

Does anyone have anymore info (pics or video links) for the Dries Men's SS 200 show?
This is all i could find and I'm obsessed!

f7a4b6f660402524769bce2156ae118b.jpg

^ Matay, please add a source to your images otherwise it will have to be removed.

I found some more pics.. not the full show, though.. try with catwalking.com, they might have the whole thing there (though you need an account).

DRIES VAN NOTEN S/S 00
Show Specifications:
Title/Theme : A Clockwork Orange
Styling: Paul Sinclaire
Grooming : Stéphane Marais
Hair : Odile Gilbert
Production: Etienne Russo
Lighting: Ignace d’Haese, ETF
Music: Michel Gaubert
Food and Drink: Paella
source: contemporaryfashion.net

mens1.jpg