Dutch Street Style

savanna84 said:
Mandy B, I hope you'll read this! Post some of your great pictures from your MSD. To show them they're wrong! :wink:
haha I'm flattered :wink: the link is in my signature, so if anyone's interested, feel free to take a look at it :flower:

I have to agree that when you go out on the streets and look around there isn't much of a 'fashionscene' going on here. Ocassionally you'll see somebody who's got it right (which is ofcourse a very subjective right) but most of the time it all looks the same. Which is fine, but when you try to capture dutch streetstyle, you will most definately get the feeling that it's utterly boring and uninspiring. I also believe that a lot of people who do dress nicely are not so willing to have their picture taken. Looking great for yourself is one thing, but being perceived as inspiring or stylish, o gosh this reminds me of a certain Dyanne Beekman, by others is another. Showing off, or whatever they think they might be doing, isn't really something dutch people like to do. They rather act humble and decline the proposition of having their photo taken. And those who are willing to show off are usually not the ones with the 'best' style. Ofcourse, there are always exceptions, which also can be found in this topic, but that's the idea I get. And I don't like it. At all.
I also get the idea that it's almost a shame if you pay attention to how you dress. That it makes you the most superficial person in the world. I guess some people let that kind of talk get to them and start believing it as well. As if thinking like that isn't equally superficial and narrow minded.

I'm not saying that I know it all, or that my style is great or blablabla, I just wish that people were a little more daring than they are right now. It wouldn't hurt. People take it all so seriously, when it should be about nothing more than having fun :flower:

Ofcourse this is only about the people who care, or claim to care about fashion. I understand there are a lot of people who don't give a **** about it. And that's fine. But that has really nothing to do with the point I was trying to make :wink:

mandyB said:
I have to agree that when you go out on the streets and look around there isn't much of a 'fashionscene' going on here. Ocassionally you'll see somebody who's got it right (which is ofcourse a very subjective right) but most of the time it all looks the same. Which is fine, but when you try to capture dutch streetstyle, you will most definately get the feeling that it's utterly boring and uninspiring. I also believe that a lot of people who do dress nicely are not so willing to have their picture taken. Looking great for yourself is one thing, but being perceived as inspiring or stylish, o gosh this reminds me of a certain Dyanne Beekman, by others is another. Showing off, or whatever they think they might be doing, isn't really something dutch people like to do. They rather act humble and decline the proposition of having their photo taken. And those who are willing to show off are usually not the ones with the 'best' style. Ofcourse, there are always exceptions, which also can be found in this topic, but that's the idea I get. And I don't like it. At all.
I also get the idea that it's almost a shame if you pay attention to how you dress. That it makes you the most superficial person in the world. I guess some people let that kind of talk get to them and start believing it as well. As if thinking like that isn't equally superficial and narrow minded.

I'm not saying that I know it all, or that my style is great or blablabla, I just wish that people were a little more daring than they are right now. It wouldn't hurt. People take it all so seriously, when it should be about nothing more than having fun :flower:

Ofcourse this is only about the people who care, or claim to care about fashion. I understand there are a lot of people who don't give a **** about it. And that's fine. But that has really nothing to do with the point I was trying to make :wink:

You are so abso-lutely right. Dutch people are tóó down to earth. Paying less than no attention to your wardrobe is the norm. Dressing up for a dinner with friends? Nope. Wearing fabulous shoes with 3,5" heels to school? Nope. Wearing something quite more fancy than your oldest pair of jeans combined with an oversized sweater for going to the movies? Nope. Holland has got no glamour what so ever.

Thank god my school is in Amsterdam. I have the feeling it's the only city where people care what they look like, as sad as that may sound. On my college everyone's into fashion, and to be honest most people look awesome :P. It's always a pity when I go back to where I live, Haarlem, I get stared at for wearing thick grey socks in my studdes heels, or wearing a yellow coat with pink heels, combined with green earrings. I've kind of made my peace with it though. Now I think its funny to provoke a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
mandyB said:

Well, you're just totally right. Nothing to say anymore....:P

Yes, vanity is a sin in this country. When practicality comes into your house, style goes right out of the window...or like my mum-in-law said when she saw my eye-makeup remover: If it costs so much to take it off, why bother to put it on? Sad.
(A Spanish girl living in Holland). My faith and my frivolity have kept me alive!

hpim8594nw0.jpg

254182030cd0.jpg

^ is that your own photo?
please credit otherwise it will be removed.

p.s not a queens day market? too little orange i guess...

ohh, I'm sorry
I got it from Xseno.nl :flower:

and it's not my own photo, but I found these girls by accident
thought I should post them in this topic
They really stand out, since we don't have any streetsyle or fashionscene here on the streets
It could be from queensday, but there was no title or description

^No problem, yw :flower:

I like the first girl best
(the second girl in the first picture, is the same girl as on the second pic)
but that's because of her style in general.
Not all of the pics on Xseno.nl are really on the streets, but I like most of it.

ldfb79ed25fdbd3a4f884daao3.jpg

lf4a1991135a4539739623abg6.jpg

I think these 2 pictures show it as well.

source is still the same

here are two more pics...

the quality is bad.. i know.. but i thought i'd post them anyway.
i'll try to take better pics soon..
eventhough there really is no great streetstyle here [amsterdam]. :innocent:

m112622169.jpg

m112622173.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Bike Girls of the Nine Streets" Sept. 26, 2008 - Amsterdam
- style sightings.

that guy always wears (the same) heels. Who is he and why was he in Holland??

I like the the style of the girl with the fur hat. So non-Dutch (that's a compliment). I love her jacket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->