Economic Times and Modeling

Discussion in 'The ETC's of the Modeling World' started by model_mom, Jan 30, 2009.

1. model_mom

model_mom New Member

With fashion houses changing their venues or not having a 'show' at all and clients cutting their advertising...what are the chance that agencies will cut their losses and let their non money makers go and cut down on the signing of new faces? Any thoughts on this? Is it a good time to jump into the modeling world?

2. fer19dog

fer19dog Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread model mom. I've been thinking a lot about the same thing. Things are tough everywhere and the modeling world is not an exception. I've been reading a lot about bookers being let go and agencies letting some girls go. This season there aren't as many "new faces" as previous seasons in my opinion. This season in my opinion is going to be about less over the top runway stages, smaller tents, smaller collections etc designers are trying to save money to stay around.

3. fer19dog

fer19dog Well-Known Member

Citing Poor Economy, Elite Cuts 60 Girls

fashionista.com

4. Celler_door

Celler_door New Member

5. CharlottefromCA

CharlottefromCA User Friendly

Elite slashing 60 girls?!?! Is that like 1/2 their roster?

6. evedwards

evedwards Member

60 girls sounds like a lot, but elite is a huge agency with a bunch of divisions. Marilyn also dropped a lot of girls a few months ago when Chris Gay came aboard.

I think we will see fewer girls this season for sure. Agencies may concentrate on girls who can work full time and may be less likely to sign a 15 year old who will only work in the summers, rack up debt, and hope that she makes it big one day.

7. model_mom

model_mom New Member

Elite's answer to that one - nymag.com/the cut

Elite’s Model Cuts Aren’t About the Economy (Updated)

1/14/09 at 12:31 PM

[​IMG] Tanya DziahilevaPhoto: Courtesy of Elite

On Monday we reported Elite Model Management cut 25 models from its roster and let 3 bookers go. We've since learned the three bookers left of their own accord. Elite wouldn't comment on the bookers or confirm the number of models let go (though two sources tell us 25), but released the following statement: "Periodically every model agency reviews its roster and evaluates the performance and re-evaluates the potential of each model. Last fall, Elite conducted such a review and decided it was mutually beneficial to release several contracts."
    A spokesman noted the cuts had nothing to do with the economy, and that Elite just took on three new models, including Dolce & Gabbana spring face Tanya Dziahileva, and could take on more newbies as soon as next week.
    Earlier: Elite Modeling Agency Cuts Models and Bookers
    Update: An Elite spokesman has confirmed two staff members left to pursue other interests. One was a booker, while the other worked in marketing.

8. Filipe

Filipe New Member

this global crysis is affecting the fashion world & I hate this fact!:neutral:

9. Paws

Paws Active Member

This is an interesting thread,

thanks for starting it model_mom:flower:

10. bvf32

bvf32 New Member

ahh its a scary time for me to be transitioning into new york. i hope i can get signed with how tight things are. hopefully as im starting to come up, things will be turning around.
    17 years old, moving to the city to peruse my dreams, with this economy. talk about intimidating..

hey, things could be worse. hopefully this quite temporary.

11. model_mom

model_mom New Member

I know a lot of models visit this site....I would love to hear their take on this. They would know better than anyone what's going on as far as the job market goes.

12. Afanasi

Afanasi New Member

Grayson - shouldn't next be able to place you with their NYC agency?

Model_mom: they are getting more selective, I can feel it. the experienced guys and gals even are under a bit more scrutiny. The newer people I know (including myself) are finding it difficult to really break in.

I'll update you as february rolls around.

13. bvf32

bvf32 New Member

not guaranteed, but yeah pretty much.
    but over all the meetings ive had with ron down here, weve pretty much decided next wouldnt be the greatest fit for me. they will be a large focus along with dna and major i think. but im also meeting with 4 others.

14. Afanasi

Afanasi New Member

Jason will probably like you.

15. bvf32

bvf32 New Member

that would be great haha.
    hopefully the people at dna too.

16. LOVEITALL

LOVEITALL New Member

Have heard that designers will be booking less girls for shows. Everyone is tightening up - they are booking less girls for jobs now. Show packages seem to have less girls than previous seasons? Is everyone is a little nervous.

17. TraiT

TraiT New Member

A post in nymag.com
    Very true I would have to say, and very depressed too...:(

#17 TraiT, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Niecey1081: Feb 2, 2009
  18. bvf32

bvf32 New Member

hopefully things will turn in the near future.
    this isnt permanent.

19. CharlottefromCA

CharlottefromCA User Friendly

very interesting snippet, thanks!

20. fritmayo

fritmayo Member

well, for me, it would be a great thing if agencies "finnaly" takes less new faces, and less girls in town.
    Why in Tokyo 80% of the models who go there 4 weeks can earn monney, and why in paris, it is the oposite, 80% of the models there who NEVER earns monney...

easy answer, in tokyo, MUCH less girls in town, and not much less job available.

so if one day, there are 50% models less in NY and in Paris, it will be positiv for everybody, including for the models who will have higher chance to work well and to make monney.