Elle France October 30, 2020 : Kamala Harris by Celeste Sloman

Benn98

Reaction score

The first comment on the post? 'Fashion, not politics'. :lol: Good luck with that.

Why does this have its own thread when it´s not even a model on the cover? :lol:

Omg keep it in USA thanks Willingly submit your cultural political stand to the USA standard never yield any good
What can be said about this even though those things happening in USA they still got the world to believe their interpretation of political issues are the correct way to go regardless which party it is

A stunning image I might say. Ruined, however, by the masthead. Overkill

I for one don’t mind seeing politicians on the cover of fashion magazines if the objective of featuring them is relevant and the relevance should take into account the country they’re representing. I’m as liberal as they come, but featuring a US VP nominee on the cover of a french magazine is just...odd when the french can’t even vote for her and Biden. And that American Flag masthead? The US is not the center of the world no matter how much they want to be the center of attention.

This cover is so bothersome - a deputy of an opposition party … of another country gets a cover - totally ridic :buzz:

In all logic - who would even care!?

Lol, people are screaming at Americans when it's actually the French who are running this cover and reinforcing the notion that Americans rule the world. The very French who mock them for their poor taste in everything from fashion to food.
And to make matters worse, this is not the first time a US politician covered a French magazine......

As for the cover, the image is a snoozefest for me. But the masthead makes the entire thing embarrassing. It's not even kitschy or cute, it's just bad, tasteless design. End off. But then again, show me the mainland Euro magazine that is known for stylish, mature art direction conceived by themselves. Look at German and Dutch Vogue. Look at the regular multi-colour masthead of VP.

M Le Monde Digital Edition

This cover is so bothersome - a deputy of an opposition party … of another country gets a cover - totally ridic. In all logic - who would even care!?

French Elle and French people love to talk about politics, it's part of the magazine brand in France and part of our culture so this combination makes total sense. It's actually a great cover and Kamala is a great champion for women + Elle is a women magazine so it's very fitting actually.

It's a cute cover. I always love laughing pictures.
Look, the United States is the most powerful, and wealthy country in the world.
What happens here (good and bad), can effect the entire world. Kamala Harris is poised to make history next Tuesday (fingers crossed),
so I totally get why Elle France would put her on it's cover. Btw, if Americans think of themselves as the "center of the world", it's because the rest of the world does too.

I actually like this photograph. The masterhead is over kill of course but I think she's perfect subject for Elle France.

It's a cute cover. I always love laughing pictures.
Look, the United States is the most powerful, and wealthy country in the world.
What happens here (good and bad), can effect the entire world. Kamala Harris is poised to make history next Tuesday (fingers crossed),
so I totally get why Elle France would put her on it's cover. Btw, if Americans think of themselves as the "center of the world", it's because the rest of the world does too.

The world thinks so because the media has been pushing down this whole “America, F Yeah!” attitude down our throat since time immemorial. Kamala is hardly the only female politician in power worth covering. What about Jacinda Ardern? Or Tsai Ing-Wen? Both of whom have actually done something significant throughout their tenure especially when it comes to the handling of the Covid-19 pandemic in their respective countries.

Lol, people are screaming at Americans when it's actually the French who are running this cover and reinforcing the notion that Americans rule the world. The very French who mock them for their poor taste in everything from fashion to food.
And to make matters worse, this is not the first time a US politician covered a French magazine......

As for the cover, the image is a snoozefest for me. But the masthead makes the entire thing embarrassing. It's not even kitschy or cute, it's just bad, tasteless design. End off. But then again, show me the mainland Euro magazine that is known for stylish, mature art direction conceived by themselves. Look at German and Dutch Vogue. Look at the regular multi-colour masthead of VP.

M Le Monde Digital Edition

Beyond the fact that US politics is very entertaining, The US political scene has actually a lot of influence on French politics.
We all saw how the BLM movement had an influence on the public debate in France despite the fact that the race question couldn’t be more different from the US.
The truth is also that since JFK, a lot of French politicians have taken inspiration from US politician in terms of communication and how they decided to shape the political narrative of the country. Someone like Jacques Chirac became highly popular by taking stands against some US politics.

And do I need to say that this US election can have an impact on the French one. In the media, the possibility of Marine LePen at the helm of the country is not science-fiction anymore...And whether Trump wins or loses, it will either way shape our election.

Yes, Americans aren’t the center of the world but they are still the pillar of the western world.

It's the choice of making the masthead stars-and-stripes that makes it seem like mindless flag-waving, which colours your impression of the rest of the contents.

Choose a more sombre colour for the masthead, and what you then have is one week's focus on American politics mainly through the lens of wondering whether America will find itself with a female Vice-President.

If political covers are going to become more of a norm, this is a lesson in what not to do on the newsstand.

At this point, it's almost silly and unfair how Melania not only did not get her own Vogue US cover (while being the FLOTUS, I know about the old one), but no monumental journalistic feature about her was done by women's magazines like French Elle and others.
On the other hand, Kamala is getting all the press, while not she's not even elected yet. I know their positions differ, one is a first lady - just a title, the other is a politician - active profession, but they are both relevant political figures, so I believe the comparison is still legit.

I'd go out and buy a magazine with Melania on the cover the second it appear on the newsstands. The woman remained a mystery, regardless of her affiliation. I'd love to learn more about her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->