Emm Arruda

Stereo_Flo

Reaction score
Proenza Schouler S/S 2017 Exclusive

rTvtJqu.jpg

vogue

Agencies: Ciotti Models & Women Management

Emm is beautiful! Following this girl.

Looks like her mother agent is Chantale Nadeau.

Christian Dior S/S 2017 Paris

Paco Rabanne S/S 2017 Paris

vogue

John Galliano SS17 Paris

vogue

Sacai SS17 Paris

vogue

Acne Studios SS17 Paris

vogue

Alexander McQueen SS17 Paris

vogue

Chanel SS17 Paris

vogue

After painful surgery and recovery, Oakville teen not just a model, but role model too
Before and after Instagram posts of Emm Arruda's spinal surgery inspires other teens with scoliosis
By Philip Lee-Shanok, CBC News Posted: Oct 01, 2016 5:00 AM ET
A 16-year-old model from Oakville, Ont., who made her Paris Fashion Week debut on Friday is not just remarkable because she's only been in the business for six months.

Emm Arruda was born with scoliosis, a sideways curvature of the spine that occurs most often during the growth spurt just before puberty.

She'd long been interested in modelling, but in a business that craves perfection, she didn't think the profession would ever be a possibility because of her condition.

"It made me self-conscious of my body. I wouldn't wear tight shirts or something with a symbol on it because you could see it was turned sideways," Arruda said between fittings and auditions in Paris.

She added that she would instead wear baggy clothing to hide the pronounced S-curve in her back.

Signed 6 months after surgery

Two years ago, Arruda had major surgery called spinal fusion. Doctors straightened her back using titanium rods and screws. These will grow together with the spinal bone, fusing it into the proper position.

"We were terrified of the surgery but Emm really wanted to do it so we supported her," said her mom, Liz Arruda. "I'm ready to cry just thinking about it."

Her recovery took six months. Meanwhile, a friend of her mother's sent photos of Arruda to modelling agent Chantale Nadeau, who wanted to sign her right away.

"She has this incredible posture and I figured out why later. Because of her scoliosis, she actually has a metal rod in her back, so she is very, very straight," said Nadeau.

Arruda's first appearance was at Toronto Fashion Week where she walked for fashion labels Mackage, Narces and Maram Paris. That was followed by appearances at New York Fashion Week and the chance to model for fashion powerhouse Dior during Paris Fashion Week.

Something special

Nadeau says booking agents seem to sense that there's something special about Arruda, even without knowing her full story.

"What she went through makes her really strong. And this is good for this industry because it's a tough industry. You have to take a lot of rejection and work really hard," Nadeau said.

Initially, Arruda says she'd hesitate when asked about the 40-centimetre scar running down the middle of her back.

"When I first started modelling I didn't want to tell people because I thought it was a bad thing … But then I realized it is a good thing. It can inspire other people and help other people," said Arruda.

After she posted before-and-after pictures of her surgery on Instagram, she received hundreds of messages, many from teens with scoliosis — and others just inspired by her story.

"A lot of girls on Instagram were texting her and asking about the surgery. She's someone they look up to. Not just a model — a role model," said her mother.

When they ask for advice, this is what Emm Arruda tells them: "You may not think that something is possible … but you can overcome anything if you actually believe that you can."
cbc.ca

novellamag

MODEL CITIZEN: EMM ARRUDA
By Novella 24 May 2016

1. How did you get into modeling?
I started modeling about 5 months ago. although I always thought about modeling, the idea of seemed impossible due to scoliosis. After I finally recovered from my spinal fusion surgery, my Mother’s friend sent photos of me to Chantale Nadeau, and she signed me right away! Chantale placed me in Canada with Jarrett Plyley at Ciotti Models, and recently just signed with Women Management in New York. Its been an amazing experience and I’m very grateful.

2. What has been your favourite modeling job to date?
My favorite modeling job so far was walking during my first Toronto Fashion Week. I walked for Mackage, Narces and Maram Paris; Such a cool experience.

3. Has the spinal fusion surgery provide you with a different perspective on modeling?
The surgery definitely had an impact on me. I don’t feel restricted in what I do anymore. I feel that I move differently or do things in my own way. Its made me want to work harder and inspire other young girls going through the same thing.

4. What do you like to do in your free time?
In my spare time I love to listen to music, as I never go a day without it. I also love to draw.

5. What are you currently listening to on your iPod?
The music I’m listening to currently consists of the new Drake album. I tend to listen to a lot of Rap, R&B, and Pop music.

6. How would you describe your personal style?
My style is pretty chill and sporty. I love black and grey and usually mix tight pants with a loose top, or vice versa.

7. What would surprise people about you?
Something that might surprise people about me is unless they’ve seen my scar is that I had spinal fusion surgery after being diagnosed with Scoliosis about a year and a half ago. Since the surgery my height shot up 2 inches!

8. Fill in the Blank: I cannot live without ______________
I cannot live without the love and support of my family and friends. They mean everything to me.

9. What are some of your goals?

I really want to be successful in anything I do. I strive to be the best I can be. Until I know what I want to do for the rest of my life, I’d like make a name for myself modeling. It would be really cool to be seen in international magazines such as Vogue and travel the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
@emm_arruda on instagram

Ellery S/S 2017 Paris

Louis Vuitton S/S 2017 Paris

vogue

Top Newcomers S/S 2017 - First season

Emm Arruda kicked off her first international season with a pivotal Proenza Schouler exclusive. In Paris the curly-haired Canadian took off, looking especially lovely on the runways of Paco Rabanne, Dior, Valentino, Sacai, Alexander McQueen, Chanel and Louis Vuitton.

models

The 16 Models Who Ruled the Spring 2017 Runways

top-models-ss1716.jpg

vogue
Emm Arruda

Hometown: Oakville, Ontario

SS17 Highlights: Proenza Schouler, Dior, and Louis Vuitton

Instagram: @emm_arruda

Overcoming a scoliosis diagnosis to achieve her dream of walking the runway, Emm Arruda all but conquered fashion month. With a series of top bookings in Paris, Arruda was among PFW’s top girls, drawing the attention of Nicolas Ghesquière, Karl Lagerfeld, and Maria Grazia Chiuri.

Elle Canada, December 2016
photo: Owen Bruce
fashion editor: Juliana Schiavinatto

Elle CA digital edition

*My pic*Paco Rabanne S/S 2017 Paris.
IMG_1236_7_light.jpg

Source : me (capt.charly)

Paco Rabanne Pre Fall 2017

vogue.fr

*My pic*Ellery S/S 2017 Paris.