Equestrian style - what to wear around horses

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by Sea Of Love, Oct 8, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. Sea Of Love

Sea Of Love New Member

I desperately am in need of outfit ideas to wear around horses. In day to day life I tend to go for nice tailored outfits and dresses but as I have horses, when I go up to the stables I find myself dressing like an absolute slob.
    A) because I need comfortable clothes up there and,
    B) because there isn't really anyone judging how I dress too much so I get lazy.

I want to change this around though and start actually getting dressed before I go to the stables and other equestrian competitions/events. Any outfit ideas and such? I really need some ideas for both summer and winter tops and also pants just to wear around that are comfortable and loose (other than jodhpurs). I really hate wearing jeans around because they are too restrictive to be doing so much bending and lifting and all the other stuff involved with horses.

Do you have any ideas or pics?

Many thanks.:flower:

2. LetThemEatCake

LetThemEatCake New Member

There have been many equestrian style and equestrian trend threads here, lord knows I've posted in all of them! Just do a search. ;)

What kind of horses do you have? I ride too, but not for shows or at any level, although I have the highest respect for horses and got my obsession for what my second horse will be through a draft show-I want a belgian and a percheron!!!

I like to wear jodphurs myself, although western style riding is so much more fun. :heart:

3. Sea Of Love

Sea Of Love New Member

I did do a search but nothing really came up, I ride British Riding ponies/show ponies:heart:

4. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

^ The only other thread I'm aware of in Personal Style is Riding boots for guys. But try a site-wide search ...

5. William_St_Girl

William_St_Girl New Member

If you want to be fashionable then it has to be ralph lauren all the way... his stuff is devine and based on the equestrian/ polo look.

You def need a nice fitted tweed jacket!

WSG x

6. Empress Merel

Empress Merel Active Member

Ralph Lauren? Sorry but to me that is just a no-go around horses.
    You have Scapa, Kentucky, Anky, Global, Pikeur, Harry's Horse, BR, Equitheme, Kieffer, Petrie, Cavallo, Eurostar, Wintec, Equiline, Pagony, Ascot etc etc.

There is so much. Just take a look.
    I like to wear a lot of brown when I'm around horses. It doesn't look dirty right away and you can always do more with color of you feel the need

http://www.bokt.nl/forums/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=807590
    Here a lot of names of brands you can take a look at.

7. Sea Of Love

Sea Of Love New Member

William St Girl, I was thinking about Ralph Lauren for when I am out and about at competitions but it seems like a RL polo is the new uniform. It is far too expensive to be wearing mucking out stables and stuff because the clothes get trashed, but I think I might make a trip to a RL store and try and find some nice things:D

And the brown is a good idea EM.

I guess I am just trying to work out a few go to outfits to wear around at events.

8. Empress Merel

Empress Merel Active Member

Around at events simple black and white is always the best. Simple, classy and always appreciated. :)

I cannot advise RL or Polo for when you are actually working with horses (Mucking out, intense training, riding in the nature etc). Quality stands before quantity at that matter.
    For events you can add it up ofcourse. But as I experience it, what you wear around horses doesn't matter, as long as your horse looks the best. (Fully agree on that)
    If you are looking for a new pair of boots, go look at Petrie. They have the best and the nicest.

This is love; http://www.petrie.nl/products/20

#8 Empress Merel, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited by moderator zoomtwistcrayon: Oct 15, 2009
  9. fashionista-ta

^ Things may have changed since I was in college :lol:

However, Ralph Lauren was one of the brands I examined for a fashion assignment, and it looked to me as though the pieces I looked at had been made in many different overseas factories :innocent: The quality, construction, etc. were amazingly variable from one garment to the next, hanging right next to each other. But it's certainly not hardwearing stuff--not the kind of hardwearing you need to actually participate in a sport.

I would think old school things actually meant for what you're doing (rather than to look 'equestrian') would be the way to go ... a company analogous to Burberry before they decided to be fashionable. If they have a royal warrant, so much the better ;) I'm sure the Queen doesn't stand for things falling apart every time one turns around :lol:

10. Sea Of Love

Sea Of Love New Member

The problem is, everyone and their horse wears RL polos at events and I being the "fashionista":innocent: that I am, I don't like following the trends that everyone has.

So as far as what to wear around events and such I was thinking along the lines of:

1. Button up blouse type things (you now the country looking ones along the lines of RL) worn with dark jodhpurs and leather belt.

2. On hot days, sleeveless polo's, dark jodhpurs again and another belt.'

3. On colder days; a fitted long sleeve top with a puffa/quilted style vest and again jods. Or if its really cold a quilted jacket over the top?

The main thing I am stuck with is what king of pants to wear around at events that are comfortable without being jeans or trackies. Also I need some sort of hats that I can wear around in summer and one in winter.

Fashionista-ta I can just imagine a nice burberry trench covered in green slime and dirt and black oil:lol::heart: because I am a poor student I buy the good stuff to wear when I am no where near a horse and still somehow I wreck it all.

11. Blondes

Blondes New Member

Yeah, Barbour jackets come to mind. Stuff like this.

12. fashionista-ta

bobmicklers

^ Yes, just the kind of thing I was thinking of ... and I do believe the Queen wears Barbour, doesn't she ;)

One could definitely do something with this, which is machine washable ...

Attached Files:

13. Godot

Godot New Member

My experience with working around horses has been thoroughbreds. They tend to be high strung and very interested in stepping on or kicking you. My recommendation is steel toed boots and simple construction worker clothing like
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-clothes-and-footwear.aspx
    I'd also Scotch Guard the pants because of mud and horse dung. I'm sure if you play around with the outfit you can add a scarf or belt to make it acceptable. ^_^

14. LetThemEatCake

I have horses of my own and been around other horse owners (I also do hunter-jumpers) and never met anyone who would Scotch Guard pants because of some horse poop. It's just grass, cant hurt you! :p
    Anyone who'd care about getting dirty probably shouldnt be around horses, my opinion.

And if you're mucking stalls, why go to the extreme of preparing yourself in clean and new clothes? With all the dust from shavings, etc. and chances of getting wet there's no point to be vain...unless you think your horse judges you. ;)

15. Sea Of Love

Sea Of Love New Member

^^^^ I have show ponies, they probably do judge me :lol:

16. LetThemEatCake

^^:lol: Probably. You know what they say about little horses/ponies...that their spirited personalities make up for their size. ;)

17. luckyme

luckyme Active Member

i'll throw in my horse sense.

when riding, its all about full seat breeches and a ls or ss shirt tucked in if i'm in a clinic or lesson. in the fall, a fitted riding vest. Winter months call for fleece and a down vest so i can have use of my arms. tall ariat winter boots and paddock boots/half chaps for the warmer months. Vests always have a nice presence.

when mucking or grooming, i tend to wear jeans, paddock boots and layers up top since you get warm quickly.

good brands like cavallo, pikeur, ariat are always worth the money but the gap has been a great staple for t's and such.

if you really want to go for it i guess hermes would be an option.

18. LetThemEatCake

luckyme what breed(s) do you ride? Have your own? I should post pics of my dear Marcus.
    My other passion that I dont get to discuss often here is horses, so I gravitated to this thread. :flower:

19. luckyme

luckyme Active Member

yes, horses and shoes. every 6 weeks i think its only fair i get a new pair too...

iberian. french classic dressage.

why not post marcus in his finest horsewear.

#20 luckyme, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Dec 14, 2009