Established Designers That You Just Don't "get"?

Orochian

Reaction score
I've always wanted to make a thread about everyone's least favourite designers, but had hesitated because of the negative nature of such a discussion. So, instead of having a festival of bashings and personal insults, let's try to rationally and constructively list out all the specific points which make a certain designer's work not to your liking.

I'll start first:

Roberto Cavalli - I find most of his designs incredibly vulgar and garish. His catwalk shows are like the annual gathering of whores and hustlers. :sick: The male eqivalent of Donatella Versace. BTW, I don't consider her a "designer", so she doesn't even deserve a seprate place in this list. :P

John Galliano - gives "over the top tackiness" a whole new dimension of meaning. His "designs", if you can call them that, are silly, pointless, jaw-droppingly repulsive, intended to create hype for the purposes of editorial attention rather than genuinely pushing forward the craft of fashion design by making a lasting contribution.

Dsquared - unimaginative, derivative, over-styled designs that place sex above everything else, even the wearer's identity. Skin-tight tees printed with vulgarities and buttcrack-revealing jeans aren't my idea of upscale clothes. A thug's wardrobe at a prince's budget. :rolleyes:

Marc Jacobs - he has this disturbing tendency to make hugely expensive clothes look like thrift store leftovers. Remember those saggy, shapeless jogging suits and hoodies in pure cashmere he did for Louis Vuitton men a couple of seasons ago? Either that, or it's the tiresome but relentless frilliness and campiness, an explicit reference to the 60's, something which Alessandro dell'Acque does MUCH better but never got the credit for. :angry:

Martin Margiela - I have a feeling I'll be flamed to death for putting him in the list; I'm fully aware of just how revered he is around here and among the fashion community in general. But I simply don't "get" his thing - the motive behind his design urges, his aesthetics, his design process. Almost everything I've seen from his artisinal "0/10" line seems to be a complete waste of human energy, complicated just for the sake of being so. Jeans torn into pieces and then resewn back together? I don't see how that enhances the fit of the garment, and the resulting appearance certainly is far from appealing. :shock: Shirts with a seam down the middle, with asmmetrical sides of different lengths? Do I have to have a split, good/evil personality to wear that? :ninja: How about those with detached collars and cuffs? All those parts must be a lot of fun to search in the washing machine. :innocent:

Again, they seem to be complex for no apparent, resulting benefit, difficult to wear and take care of, and prohibitively expensive because of the intricate manufacturing process involved. I don't mind the more conservative pieces in his other lines, but they don't strike me as anything particularly remarkable or impressive either. He's one of the pioneers in the treatments of denim fabric, now widely imitated by just about everyone else - I'll give him that - but IMO Helmut Lang have a far more desirable line of denim garments with the same emphasis on technical innovation.

It's a little strange that I happen to dislike Margiela, arguably the most celebrated Belgian designer today, when in fact I absolutely adore all his fellow Belgian contemporaries.

While I can't say I actually hate Comme Des Garcons, I just don't get why it's regarded so highly, I mean, yeah mabye there are so great ideas coming from them, but first, who could wear stuff like that?

And second, why is something like what's on the left seen as brilliant, but something like what's on the right is seen as sl*tty. I don't get it......

Orochian with you all the way on Marc Jacobs. Why in the world would I want to purchase a piece of crap design for 200-1000$ when I can mimic those things by shopping thrift or franchise shops.

i am so happy you made the distinction between don't get and don't like...bc i genuinely don't like cavalli but i get it (and even buy cavalli for its pure unabashed sex appeal)...dsquared i really hate and really don't find interesting (but again i get it...i see people who dress like that all the time)...marc jacobs and martin margiela both have the cool factor that's hard to knock and if you've got plenty of money, they are both brands to invest in to LOOK like you don't care about fashion at all...that it's all so accidental. but galliano. i don't get. his designs and his runway presentations always intend to shock. and what i don't get is that he has genuine talent (as seen in the spring haute couture presentation recently)...he really doesn't need ALL of that hype and showmanship. and then his clothes...while i can say that i have a soft spot for the occassional dior heel and the standard dior dress...he is capable of so much more, but he chooses to distract us from his talent by having us focus on presentation and unrealistic styling that really are fundamentally unimportant in the everyday of fashion. i just don't get why he does it and why he's encouraged to do it...i understood at the beginning, but now, it's just the same thing over and over.

mikeijames, I completely agree with your views on Galliano. I've seen some amazing stuff from him, but it seems he is more keen on putting on a show than exploiting his talent to its full extent.

And as for Cavalli, I guess his stuff is for "loose" girls who like "pretty" things :rolleyes:

i don't 'get' the entire fashion industry these days...people with talent oozing out of every pore are wasting away while p diddy rakes it in... how did this happen... :(

yeah dsquared is the bad one among them. :doh: i mean worse

Originally posted by whereisthatsusu@Apr 20th, 2004 - 9:34 pm
And as for Cavalli, I guess his stuff is for "loose" girls who like "pretty" things  :rolleyes:
I actually have really loved some of Roberto Cavalli's collections... :blush:
While I do agree that some of his designs are typical, I adore his combined use of colours and prints. It all just seems so incredibly vibrant and over-the-top and full of life!

Dsquared got my vote as well, although lately Galliano's work has been catching up. However, I must admit that I do "get" him. Some of his early outfits for the Dior label were just beautiful. :heart:

gallianos crap perplexes me......tacky doesnt do it justice

dl

This is getting off-topic and I do apologize in advance, but...
:blush:
Who would have thought!

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Apr 21st, 2004 - 1:42 am
Dsquared got my vote as well, although lately Galliano's work has been catching up. However, I must admit that I do "get" him. Some of his early outfits for the Dior label were just beautiful. :heart:
I agree. :blush:

Originally posted by loserunit@Apr 21st, 2004 - 7:21 am
yeah dsquared is the bad one among them. :doh: i mean worse
dsquared i really dont get...

to be honest, i believe that designers do have good and bad seasons,
i usually give everyone a fair chance at the start of each season...
i'm not like "ohh this designer bores me, he will be crap"
fave designers have turned up with stupid collections
and less fave designers can occasionally bring in a surprise :P
i'm really not stuck with 'designer choices'

a good example is Roberto Cavalli was quite good some years ago
(before starting getting famous-following Versace's death)
his style is absolutely not for me.. and he's actually concidered 'cheap'
in my part of the euro-woods
surprisingly enough, just recently, he's been getting quite popular in Paris

regardless, i have to say that the Cavalli fw04 collection has some quite nice pieces, great burn out fabrics, beautiful winter colours and is less 'sex on your face' than usual.

i actually love this cavalli dress :blush:

i actually love cavali's clothes and shows they are made by a bold person for bold people.
on the other hand i dont get Marc Jacobs and his ads esp for his own line. It all looks similar season after season. He has even exhausted the LV logo!

Mike,I don't really agree with you on Galliano. If you compare what he's doing now with what he was doing in the mid-latter 90's,the man has alot of talent. He's just not utilizing it these days. While I understand the talent aspect,what I don't get is the high praise for what he's doing now.

Roberto Cavalli (but I missed looking at his fall colection..... :unsure: )

Dsquared - dont know much about them but what ive seen doesnt do it for me.

The others I see their merits , well atleast more so than these two...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->