Established Designers That You Just Don't "get"?

Versace and Cavalli usually go over my head; though maybe there are some exceptions now and then.
Galliano is hit or miss for me; sometimes I think he makes very tacky stuff, yet there's often a gem amongst them.
I like Marc by Marc but his LV stuff is so-so in my eyes.

Marc Jacobs. Totally. Some of the things he makes and charges thousands for just drives me insane. Most of the things look like they cost him three dollars to make.

I don't get why everyone got so wound up about cavalli. Alright, it might not be anything innovative and cool but it definetly serves a function. A lot of women (and men) love it and it manifests itself in sale figures. If a designer sells, his clothes found a market than he deserves to exists and there is nothing we can do about it. :flower: Compared to, say, someone like jeremy scott cavalli makes very pretty clothing

la_mie said:
Tom Ford. Anything he ever made, for gucci, ysl, whatever.

...*deep breath* what a relief B)
I agree. He destroyed YSL. Thank god for Stefano Pilati.

this thread's great and hugely entertaining... i've spent a whole boring day at work by reading faust's and scott's brilliant comments! i can understand that people don't always get the aesthetics of comme or yamamoto, but one has to be a complete ****** not to respect their technical skills and revolutionary roles in the history of fashion, publishing, retail, advertising etc. what groundbraking have mr. cavalli or the evil catens created in their lives...a furry pair of bikini and trucker cap for britney perhaps?

the ones i do not get:

marc jacobs...for stealing everyone's ideas and getting away with it

julian mcdonald...if there's one man who can make cavalli look sophisticated

matthew williamson...all those ugly dresses and the luckily short-lived men's range

zac posen...he'd be shredded into pieces, if he'd show that crap in paris

imitation of christ...i think everything has been said about poor tara already

runner-ups: michael kors, vera wang, luella bartley, john richmond, valentino, gianfranco ferre, dsquared2

Last edited by a moderator:
TheFLUFFER said:
I don't get why everyone got so wound up about cavalli. Alright, it might not be anything innovative and cool but it definetly serves a function. A lot of women (and men) love it and it manifests itself in sale figures. If a designer sells, his clothes found a market than he deserves to exists and there is nothing we can do about it. :flower: Compared to, say, someone like jeremy scott cavalli makes very pretty clothing

Garbage dumpsters serve a function too, but do you like them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->