Established Designers That You Just Don't "get"?

I picked D squared - I don't like their designs, but I do like the fact that they seem to be having fun with what they do. I suppose I kind of 'get' them without liking them.

I don't really like most of Roberto Cavalli's collections, but I respect the fact that he really goes after the unabashedly sexy look, and usually he always has a few peices in his collections that are quite stunning :blush: Same goes for Versace - a lot of the clothing comes off as skanky, but they're always a few peices or a few subtleties that redeem Donatella's collections for me.

I understand that clothing should be wearable, and to a certain extent I agree, but I also think that self expression is a huge part of design. That's one reason why I could never bring myself to dislike Galliano. I adore his designs, and, as Mutterlein already said, I highly doubt that he just throws his peices together. In fact, I think his work is extremely precise, to the point of being incredibly artistic. To use a really bad example, to me watching a Galliano collection is like reading the last 50 pages of Ulysses. It might seem random and perhaps even irrelevant at first, but once you start to really pay attention you can see the detail, the craftmanship and the beauty therein.

Originally posted by Holland_MULTIMEDIA*@Sep 10 2004, 12:47 AM
WHAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER IS THAT IF YOU CANT WEAR SOMETHING THEN ITS POINTLESS TO MAKE IT, AND IF YOU CANT WEAR IT THEN YOUR JUST A BAD DESIGNER. And you cant argue because its true! Let me explain..........

Anybody can make a building out of soda cans. But would you live in it? NO! You wouldnt even think twice,no matter how "trendy" people thought you were. Also, anybody can make a car out of paper mache.......but could you drive it? No!!!!!!!So dont even try to argue about it!
[snapback]361733[/snapback]​
It's not pointless to make clothes you can't wear. IMO, that's like saying it's pointless to paint a picture because you can't eat it. And I say that because I feel that the process of making a piece of beautiful clothing is no different from making a painting or statue or something. To me, it's all art. If you want to make something to wear, make something to wear. If you feel the need to express yourself by making an artistic piece of clothing that may or may not be wearable, make it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

And, by the way, I'm pretty sure most people couldn't build a building out of soda cans or a car out of paper mache. Ever tried either?

i can't stand galliano. i understand he's coming from a creative point, but his flamboyance is much too over the top for my taste.

dsquared-the clothes are awful. i don't even bother to look at their collections because they're awful.

i like MJ and cavalli. :blush:

i have never understood dsquared and why ppl think it's like the next best thing...

Speaking of Roberto Cavalli, this outfit is basically a bad Anna Molinari rip-off... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by AlexN@Sep 11 2004, 02:00 AM
It's not pointless to make clothes you can't wear.  IMO, that's like saying it's pointless to paint a picture because you can't eat it.  And I say that because I feel that the process of making a piece of beautiful clothing is no different from making a painting or statue or something.  To me, it's all art.  If you want to make something to wear, make something to wear.  If you feel the need to express yourself by making an artistic piece of clothing that may or may not be wearable, make it.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

And, by the way, I'm pretty sure most people couldn't build a building out of soda cans or a car out of paper mache.  Ever tried either?
[snapback]362198[/snapback]​

well said :clap:
if everything was made just for practical use, how boring art would be?

i don't get Dsquared. it's fine, they have normal clothing, wearable, and i admit that there are some peices of clothing that i would wear by itself, but its just THERE... it gives me no inspiration, no :buzz: ... i don't get it.

Whats wrong with Dontella Versace? I've always loved her clothes. They're soo feminine.

:crush: Lili :wub:

:sick:
Roberto Cavalli
Dsquared
Donatella Versace

I "get"
Pucci and Chanel's
appeal..but I hate 99,99% of their stuff.

I definitely don't get DSquared. I really haven't found much of their collections to my liking.

I don't think Donatella's brilliant, but some of her designs for Versace I have REALLY liked.

I'm not the biggest fan of Roberto Cavalli all the time, but he does have designs I like - plus, I walked by this AMAZING dress in the window of the Florence store earlier this summer and fell in love with it (too bad it's out of my price range). It was elegant and gorgeous.

Marc Jacobs has never really appealed to me - I can always see his designs as something which should be marked for a MUCH lower price.

Galliano...he's got his own thing going on. it's definitely not wearable, though. Except maybe by Gwen Stefani.

Not a fan of DSquared or Cavalli...

I actually don't mind Marc Jacobs menswear...there's some nice basics in there, what I don't get are his prices, for THOSE pieces? :blink:

I need to add Escada..that stuff is so ugly imo.

I take back my DSquared comment...while I definitely wouldn't wear most of the pieces there, for some reason I find there's this distinct charm to their clothes...it oddly reminds me of my high school years in Canada, and they bring a unique Canadian perspective to their clothes that makes me nostalgic of a certain period in my life....i remember everyone in school being so proudly canadian while I couldn't wait to go to the U.S...but now I think that stuff is kinda cute and I kinda could relate to that sense of Canadian pride. From a design and quality standpoint, the clothes are trash, but still...

Originally posted by Fade to Black@Nov 1 2004, 07:53 PM
I actually don't mind Marc Jacobs menswear...there's some nice basics in there, what I don't get are his prices, for THOSE pieces? :blink:
[snapback]414352[/snapback]​

Agree..I just copy cat as much as I can..but I am still hestiant when I go to the MJ store in San Fran at the end of the season where things are marked down by like 70%..cause even then I still feel it's overpriced.

My vote's for Dsquared.

I just watched a Rock & Republic show, and it was so much trashier than DSquared. It's gonna take me a while to get it out of my head. :sick: :yuk:

"Martin Margiela, Rei Kawakubo, Yohi Yamamoto, Jurgi Persoons and Bernhard Wilhelm are perfectly capable of creating good fashion however they seem to spend most of their life churning out avant-garde dross that is more pretentious than Emin and the Chapman brothers put together. "
With reference to the above comment. If there was no "avante garde dross" then we would be wearing EXACTLY the same style as they were hundreds of years ago, because without avante garde ideas, then nothing would advance.
Have you heard of Amelia Bloomer (if you're interested in fashion design, then I'd be amazed if you haven't). She pioneered trousers for women.
At the time, she was laughed at and ridiculed because her bloomers (early versions of trousers) were deemed ridiculous and "unwearable" by the masses, yet....nowadays there's not way women could do the wide variety of jobs they do without trousers...

Also, to those who have said that John Galliano's work is merely to get critics eyes...
Look at his new collection. You might deem it "unwearable" and "art" rather than fashion. But even to all of you who think that fashion should not be art, there are SO many wearable pieces involved, but the catwalk itself IS art, because that's what high fashion/avante garde fashion to me should be.
Wearable and everyday is manufactured and mass-produced at high street level, and I see high fashion as an outlet for design and creativity to be displayed.
Also...without the avante garde fashions, there would be no "trickle down" or diffusion to the high street, what you see on the catwalks would be as simple (thought probably of a much higher quality fabric and cut) as high street clothing.
That to me is pointless and boring...!

There is no designer that i "don't get" as each person has there own indivdual style, and therefor they will all be different.
There are some that I don't like, but none that I don't "get"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kancuk24
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->