Etro F/W 2019.20 by Cass Bird

Benn98

Reaction score
etro-afw19-adv-single-03.jpg

After casting a diverse group of models for its fall 2019 runway show, Etro is trumpeting inclusivity for its ad campaign, too. Nine talents, including veteran models Marisa Berenson and Amber Valletta, as well as Grace Elizabeth and Taylor Hill were brought to Manhattan and lensed by New York-based photographer Cass Bird in the city’s busy streets. Differentiating each character’s personality, Berenson was captured smiling surrounded by a range of Etro trunks splashed with the signature paisley prints, while Hill looks confident accompanied by a white horse, in a nod to the infamous entrance Bianca Jagger made at the Studio 54 nightclub. — Martino Carrera

WWD

It's like a collage of elements from other campaigns - Donna Karan's city backdrop, Ralph Lauren's face, Chloe's wild-at-heart romanticism with the horse, and a reminder of Louis Vuitton's luggage.

Can some explain to me why Cass Bird gets so much work recently? I cannot really see anything distinct, gorgeous, polished or creative from these pictures?

Can some explain to me why Cass Bird gets so much work recently?

God knows! I find her vastly overrated, and people actually respect her in the industry. A Cass Bird shoot apparently means something.
Tigerrouge perfectly outed her for the blatant piggybacking she did off all those brands.

It's like a collage of elements from other campaigns - Donna Karan's city backdrop, Ralph Lauren's face, Chloe's wild-at-heart romanticism with the horse, and a reminder of Louis Vuitton's luggage.
All that and zero elements of what you could say are a "Cass Bird" picture. Safe to say she definitely took the money and ran on this one.

This looks so tacky and I'm sorry but Taylor Hill doesn't immediately spring to mind when I think of a 'diverse talent' lol

David Alexander Flinn and John Pearson added to MDC's listing of this campaign... Diverse? Trumpeting inclusivity? :blink:

Etro must be in dire straits if they're hoping to cash in on the diversity angle. So played out. We get it, you're an Italian brand and for YOU it may be groundbreaking to embrace diversity, only, it's pretty much the norm for everyone else.... so have several seats!

From the names mentioned, I can imagine they are about diversity in age...
We live in a era where brands feels guilty to have an all white cast and are ready to use all the marketing tactics to justify it.
And Italians have this very awkward way to get into « conversations ».

It’s not that deep guys (at Etro) you can have an all white cast. I don’t feel like every black person in the world is going to be offended by that.

As for the campaign, it could have been Escada. It has a very 90’s aristocratic feel to it.
The styling is very VP. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that Geraldine styled it.

From the names mentioned, I can imagine they are about diversity in age...
We live in a era where brands feels guilty to have an all white cast and are ready to use all the marketing tactics to justify it.
And Italians have this very awkward way to get into « conversations ».

It’s not that deep guys (at Etro) you can have an all white cast. I don’t feel like every black person in the world is going to be offended by that.

Then don’t call it “trumpeting inclusivity” in the first place if they decided to focus on age only. If they want to highlight Maria Berenson, they could’ve come up with a statement like “Introducing, a return of a Hollywood Icon, Maria Berenson” instead of putting great emphasis on the word “inclusivity”. Use all white models all you want, God knows there are some brands out there who do exactly just that. As for the campaign itself, I actually don’t mind Etro’s gaudiness, but I have gotten increasingly tired of Taylor Hill’s lack of energy in photographs.

Full cast: Amber Valetta, Andreea diaconu Grace E, Hiandra Martinez, Marisa Berenson, Taylor Hill + some male models.

Full cast: Amber Valetta, Andreea diaconu Grace E, Hiandra Martinez, Marisa Berenson, Taylor Hill + some male models.

Male models are Kohei Takabatake, John Barnes Pearson and David Alexander Flinn

so one black model and one asian model out of nine models is "trumpeting diversity" now? lmao

I love how they brag about their 'diverse casting on the runway' yet the people they name to front the campaign are 4 white women... :hardhead:

edit: should have read everyone's comments before going into a typing fit with rage, but yes I agree- where is the diversity?!?!

The styling is very good ! That's the only positive thing I can say about it.

Grace looks gorgeous! She stole my attention from the video

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->