Etro F/W 2019.20 by Cass Bird

Discussion in 'Ad Campaigns' started by Benn98, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

After casting a diverse group of models for its fall 2019 runway show, Etro is trumpeting inclusivity for its ad campaign, too. Nine talents, including veteran models Marisa Berenson and Amber Valletta, as well as Grace Elizabeth and Taylor Hill were brought to Manhattan and lensed by New York-based photographer Cass Bird in the city’s busy streets. Differentiating each character’s personality, Berenson was captured smiling surrounded by a range of Etro trunks splashed with the signature paisley prints, while Hill looks confident accompanied by a white horse, in a nod to the infamous entrance Bianca Jagger made at the Studio 54 nightclub. — Martino Carrera

WWD

guimon likes this.
  2. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

It's like a collage of elements from other campaigns - Donna Karan's city backdrop, Ralph Lauren's face, Chloe's wild-at-heart romanticism with the horse, and a reminder of Louis Vuitton's luggage.

thiago:), mathiaskatz, mikel and 3 others like this.
  3. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Active Member

Can some explain to me why Cass Bird gets so much work recently? I cannot really see anything distinct, gorgeous, polished or creative from these pictures?

mathiaskatz, mikel and Benn98 like this.
  4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

God knows! I find her vastly overrated, and people actually respect her in the industry. A Cass Bird shoot apparently means something.
    Tigerrouge perfectly outed her for the blatant piggybacking she did off all those brands.

mikel likes this.
  5. grimm

grimm Member

All that and zero elements of what you could say are a "Cass Bird" picture. Safe to say she definitely took the money and ran on this one.

Benn98 likes this.
  6. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

This looks so tacky and I'm sorry but Taylor Hill doesn't immediately spring to mind when I think of a 'diverse talent' lol

simon likes this.
  7. mathiaskatz

mathiaskatz Active Member

diverse group of nine models and they list four white american models ??

ForTheImage, kenndale, 333101 and 4 others like this.
  8. Armani

Armani Moderator

David Alexander Flinn and John Pearson added to MDC's listing of this campaign... Diverse? Trumpeting inclusivity? :blink:

9. bluebanter

bluebanter Well-Known Member

parody

Ken Doll Jenner and Armani like this.
  10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Etro must be in dire straits if they're hoping to cash in on the diversity angle. So played out. We get it, you're an Italian brand and for YOU it may be groundbreaking to embrace diversity, only, it's pretty much the norm for everyone else.... so have several seats!

11. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

From the names mentioned, I can imagine they are about diversity in age...
    We live in a era where brands feels guilty to have an all white cast and are ready to use all the marketing tactics to justify it.
    And Italians have this very awkward way to get into « conversations ».

It’s not that deep guys (at Etro) you can have an all white cast. I don’t feel like every black person in the world is going to be offended by that.

As for the campaign, it could have been Escada. It has a very 90’s aristocratic feel to it.
    The styling is very VP. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that Geraldine styled it.

mikel and Benn98 like this.
  12. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

Then don’t call it “trumpeting inclusivity” in the first place if they decided to focus on age only. If they want to highlight Maria Berenson, they could’ve come up with a statement like “Introducing, a return of a Hollywood Icon, Maria Berenson” instead of putting great emphasis on the word “inclusivity”. Use all white models all you want, God knows there are some brands out there who do exactly just that. As for the campaign itself, I actually don’t mind Etro’s gaudiness, but I have gotten increasingly tired of Taylor Hill’s lack of energy in photographs.

13. Riseup

Riseup Well-Known Member

Full cast: Amber Valetta, Andreea diaconu Grace E, Hiandra Martinez, Marisa Berenson, Taylor Hill + some male models.

14. mathiaskatz

mathiaskatz Active Member

lol so they really boasted about a diverse cast with 8 white models and 1 MOC?

FashionMuseDior and littlekiki like this.
  15. amby

amby Active Member

Campaign video:

16. amby

amby Active Member

Male models are Kohei Takabatake, John Barnes Pearson and David Alexander Flinn

17. StoneSkipper

StoneSkipper Well-Known Member

so one black model and one asian model out of nine models is "trumpeting diversity" now? lmao

Armani likes this.
  18. RMDV

RMDV Active Member

I love how they brag about their 'diverse casting on the runway' yet the people they name to front the campaign are 4 white women... :hardhead:

edit: should have read everyone's comments before going into a typing fit with rage, but yes I agree- where is the diversity?!?!

19. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

The styling is very good ! That's the only positive thing I can say about it.

20. fluxxx

fluxxx Well-Known Member

Grace looks gorgeous! She stole my attention from the video