Everything Braids - tricks, tips, and pics

purplelucrezia

Reaction score
It honestly seems rather silly, but we don't have a topic for them, so I thought that I'd start one up myself. Does anyone else have any images to share? I've always liked braids myself, especially the inverted style.

Braids.jpg

Attachments

• braids.jpg
    braids.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 83
Glad you started this thread. I was going to start one myself the other week, but alas I am too damned lazy.

http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/index.htm is chockful of directions for creating all sorts of braids. Some of their designs/examples border on too-intensely-Ren-Faire for my personal taste, but it's an all-around good resource.

My favorite kind of braids are not the typical loose sort, but rather braids that frame the hairline or are worked into an "updo" (for lack of a better term). To wit:

Attachments

• braid1.jpg
    braid1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 40
  • braid2.jpg
    braid2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 31
Those are beautiful, HBoogie, thanks for the pictures!
I've just been reminded of Gwyneth Paltrow's old Oscar updo as well.

Attachments

• gwyn3.jpg
    gwyn3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 21
  • gwyn2.jpg
    gwyn2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 25
  • gwyn.jpg
    gwyn.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 15
wow...gwen stefani looks great...love the loose tousled braids myself...

Kirsten Dunst in Eternal Sunshine // Valentino rtw fall 2004

Attachments

• k.JPG
    k.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,824
  • braid.JPG
    braid.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
bridget said:
how do you do "fishtails"

Here you go bridget :flower:

Fishtail Braids

This is a stunning two-strand braid and is a great way to learn the concept of French braiding before tackling three strands.

1. Divide a small section of hair where you want the braid to start (usually at the hairline at the front of the head or just behind your bangs if you have them) into two even sections.
2. Comb each section smooth.
3. Cross the right hand section over the left section.
4. Pull the sections away from each other to tighten the plait.
5. Using the pointed end of a rat tail comb, lift a small section of hair on the right by drawing a line against the scalp from the hairline to the middle of the braid about a half inch to an inch beneath the first plait, depending on the thickness of your hair and how woven you want it to look (more strands create a more woven appearance).
6. Add the new section of hair to the existing section on the right and then cross it over the left section; tighten the plait.
7. Again using the handle of a rat tail comb, lift a small section of hair on the left by drawing a line against the scalp from the hairline to the middle of the braid even with the section you just lifted from the right, add this hair to the existing section on the left and then cross it over the right section.
8. Continue the process alternating right and left sections, tightening each plait as you make it, until you reach the hairline at the nape of the neck.
9. Secure the remaining hair with a hair-safe ponytail holder. You can then let the remaining hair hang free or weave a standard English braid to the ends.

Tips: For a different look, cross the sections of hair under each other instead of over. Keeping your hands close to the head will create a tighter braid, holding your hands away from the head will create a looser, more drapey braid.

from www.longlocks.com

I am loving face framing braids for this spring/summer so hopefully they won't become overly popular. would love to do fishtails but i don't fully understand those instructions.

love braids but have a hard time 'doing' them myself. ( well the more complex styles.....+ i have dark hair- sometimes i think braided styles look better with lighter hair, as you can see the braids clearly )

Braids a lovely, i just tried doing the fishtail plait, didn't work lol. I really like the girls hair on the second picture you posted purplelucrezia.

Reseneace said:
I really like the girls hair on the second picture you posted purplelucrezia.
I really like that picture as well. :flower: Here's Susan Eldridge wearing braids.

Attachments

• susaneldridge.jpg
    susaneldridge.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 73
  • susan.jpg
    susan.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 87
purplelucrezia said:
Those are beautiful, HBoogie, thanks for the pictures!
I've just been reminded of Gwyneth Paltrow's old Oscar updo as well.
Everbody hated that hair. Personally, I loved it (I actually kind of liked the dress and makeup too).

Anyways, I love braiding hair. Great topic!

HBoogie I love the site, thanks :heart:

i love braids too. and I love these pictures.

I'm actually wearing braids today myself. just like Gweneth Paltrow only looser and in a ponytail. My hair is sarker thoug so it's not that clear.

I have a French braid today. Marvelous for keeping your hair out of the way, yet still looking interesting.

It took me ages to learn to do it on my own hair. I've been able to French Braid for other people since I was about 12, but I only just recently got to where I could do a nice French braid on my own hair.

As a child thats how i went to school, braids and cow plaits as we called them(chunky parts of hair plaited). I braid my daughters hair each week, as its so much easier in the mornings to get her ready for school. She didnt like it at first, but has grown so used to it now. I can easily do really nice styles on other peoples heads, but cannot manage to do my own. I used to braid my hair (two french plaits) each night before i went to bed, to minimise the tangles in the morning and gauranteed, when i looked in the mirror one side would be lopsided, with lumps and bumps on my head and the other side would be perfect - genius :heart:

longlegsue said:
Here you go bridget :flower:

Fishtail Braids

This is a stunning two-strand braid and is a great way to learn the concept of French braiding before tackling three strands.

1. Divide a small section of hair where you want the braid to start (usually at the hairline at the front of the head or just behind your bangs if you have them) into two even sections.
2. Comb each section smooth.
3. Cross the right hand section over the left section.
4. Pull the sections away from each other to tighten the plait.
5. Using the pointed end of a rat tail comb, lift a small section of hair on the right by drawing a line against the scalp from the hairline to the middle of the braid about a half inch to an inch beneath the first plait, depending on the thickness of your hair and how woven you want it to look (more strands create a more woven appearance).
6. Add the new section of hair to the existing section on the right and then cross it over the left section; tighten the plait.
7. Again using the handle of a rat tail comb, lift a small section of hair on the left by drawing a line against the scalp from the hairline to the middle of the braid even with the section you just lifted from the right, add this hair to the existing section on the left and then cross it over the right section.
8. Continue the process alternating right and left sections, tightening each plait as you make it, until you reach the hairline at the nape of the neck.
9. Secure the remaining hair with a hair-safe ponytail holder. You can then let the remaining hair hang free or weave a standard English braid to the ends.

Tips: For a different look, cross the sections of hair under each other instead of over. Keeping your hands close to the head will create a tighter braid, holding your hands away from the head will create a looser, more drapey braid.

from www.longlocks.com

WOW thankyou so much i 've always wanted to know how to do them:flower:flower:^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJS33
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"