Expensive Skin Care

Alejandro

& R.V
Reaction score
Will they actually work?? if you know of some, please post, if you are lucky enough to try them, please post your comments... :wink:

N.V. Perricone's Neuropeptide Facial Conformer
P50710_hero.jpg

Neuropeptides are tiny strings of amino acids found naturally in our bodies that control many biologic functions. These natural, non-toxic neuropeptides play an important role in the physiology of the skin while maintaining the skin's health. They aid the body's natural repair system and restore skin structure to its youthful state (as we age these valuable agents diminish). By introducing these valuable agents to the skin through this unique formulation, Facial Conformer stimulates the body's natural ability to retain a more youthful appearance by decreasing fine lines and wrinkles, reducing redness and discoloration, improving hydration, and plumping and firming the skin.

US $570.00

D0438386088242_45e68.jpg

La Mer
Crème de la Mer/16.5 oz
Crème de la Mer has inspired a devoted following with its extraordinary results. At the heart of the formula is a nutrient-rich Miracle Broth™, created through a meticulous 3 to 4 month biofermentation process. The results, often called miraculous, speak for themselves. In a short time skin becomes softer, firmer, looks virtually creaseless. For all skin types. The ultimate luxury.

US $1,000.00

La Prairie Cellular Radiance Cream

D0425728105104_4c194.jpg

Cellular Radiance Cream Time-Correcting Therapy enhances the reflective properties of skin, making it instantly luminous. Lines and wrinkles seem to diminish, as tone and texture are transformed. Great for daytime or nighttime use to make skin look new again, firmer and more radiant.

US $500.00

CREME DE LA MER must be good. so many people have told me it works miracles :heart:

La Mer is great, my sister uses this one and she's very happy with the way it works, but its not $1000 I think it costs more like $300 or $500

Originally posted by Lena@Nov 3rd, 2003 - 8:09 am
La Mer is great, my sister uses this one and she's very happy with the way it works, but its not $1000 I think it costs more like $300 or $500
it comes in different sizes Lena.........it can also come with a solid silver lid.......so the price can vary dramatically :wink:

I have used both. I haven't really seen any dramatic improvement that you would think you would see with the prices they are selling at. The La mer is pretty good for winter months though...

Hey :smile:,

The amino acids in the Neuropeptide Cream will only do one of the things stated in that list, and that is to hydrate. Fine lines will appear reduced from increased hydration, and it may help wound-healing and act as an anti-oxidant, but these substances cannot effect wrinkles. It may help if applied to wounds, or if used as an anti-oxidant, though.

La Mer, on the otherhand, is a very thick and rich moisturiser, so much so that in some cases in can block pores and result in break outs. This cream can help with scarring, softening and refining texture, but then again so can Nivea Creme. It is a very good moisturiser, probably overrated. Again this product will hydrate and may have some emollient and antioxidant benefits, but there is no substantiated proof that the kelp in it helps with wrinkles.

The La Prairie Cream makes several claims like increasing the "reflective properties of skin". The skin doesn't reflect light, as it isn't a mirrored surface, however it will absorb, scatter and diffuse it. If anything, this cream seems to imply it only increases radiance, and that could be achieved with light-diffusing products as simple as Nivea Visible Energy Cream, Clinique Gentle Light Make-Up, Prescriptives Illuminating Liquid Potion, Guerlain Meteorites or Laura Mercier Secret Finish.

All in all, most expensive anti-wrinkle products appear to be merely very luxurious moisturisers.

There are a few ingredients which do help, like retinoids (dermatologist strength), AHAs, BHAs, vitamin C (dermatologist strength), but are rarely featured.

I will never understand why people shell out so much money for skincare products when if all they did was improve their diet and eat better, meaning foods which are good for the skin, it would have the same effects, if not better effects, than these products.

Drinking lots of water, eating foods rich in B vitamins, zinc and oils found in fish, nuts and foods such as avacados will imporve skin vastly from the inside out.

Moderately priced skincare from a brand such as Clarins is pretty good so combined with that and a good diet, spending extreme amounts of money on La Prairie and La Mer is rather a waste.

Unless it's by surgery, the effects of aging cannot be reversed. No matter how much the skincare packaging insists.

I swear by "future solutions" by Shiseido, its 200 euros.
Superior to their high standard "bioperformance" it does work in an amazing way but needs continuous use :flower:

welcome to FS Chardonnay :smile:
Clarins is a good cosmetics brand but if you only try Shiseido you will see the difference, and no, it certainly is not waste of money.. money spend on face treatments is always a great investment :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@Nov 14th, 2003 - 3:44 am
welcome to FS Chardonnay :smile:
Clarins is a good cosmetics brand but if you only try Shiseido you will see the difference, and no, it certainly is not waste of money.. money spend on face treatments is always a great investment :flower:
Thank you, Lena, i'm so glad i found this place. :heart:

Yes, it's true that facial treatments are a great investment and so is taking care of yourself from the inside out. A good diet makes all the difference and is good too if you cant afford the lovely, expensive cream. Both are very important for awesome skin.

I agree w/you Chardonnay - do what you gotta do from the INSIDE, too, like drink plenty of water, cut down on alcohol, do not smoke (ever, its soooo bad for you!) and use sunscreen. I won't spend the $$ on truly expensive creams only b/c my sisters and I are blessed w/good genes (thanks mama!), but yeah, if there were a "miracle in a bottle", I'd be right there in line for it just in case!

They cost quite a lot, so I understand that you have second thoughts.

I'm not concerned about lines and wrinkles so I wouldn't buy them. Get help from a pro before spending that much money.

Lots of water.. sleeping enough.. and stuff like that is what you need for an good/excellent skin, but I guess that if you want a model's skin, then maybe La Mer is what you need.

Check out also the new Clinique CX, they're very expensive (over USD100), and they claim to do miracles.

Even if I wanted to try those, I can't cause that is too costly for me.
But I do recommend Clarins ! :heart:

I am 36,but people always guess that I am mid to late twenties.This could be because I changed over from Chanel to La Prairie skin care 2 years ago....or it could be because my mom,who has only ever used Ponds Cold Cream,is often mistaken for someone half her age:smile:

Just one thing though;I get a really awful allergy to the La Prairie smart cream and smart eye cream,and as their normal day moisturiser(cellular day cream) doesn't contain an SPF,I've gone back to using Chanel Rectifiance day and eye creams.I use La Prairie cellular night cream,the exfoliating mask for sensitive skin,the cellular moisture mask,the neck cream (prevention is better than cure),and oooooh,heaven,I sometimes use the Skin Caviar under my make-up.

I am not sure whether it all makes a longterm difference,but at the end of the day I want to be able to say that I did everything possible to age gracefully:smile:

And you'll never meet me in the plastic surgeon's waiting room.

^ They say genetics only accounts for about 10% of your aging process. So you must be doing something splendidly right. :smile:

I'm often mistaken for being younger, but this could be because of my young-looking facial features, my blonde hair, or the fact that I'm only 5'4. However, even if I'm in my early 20's yet, my skin is spotless. I never had that acne period (though I'll probably get it later on), so I'm lucky that my skin is nice. I have been completely hydrated for about three years now (hah), and eat a very well-balanced diet. Working out can also work wonders.

If you treat your body and skin well, it will do so in return. :smile:

Clarins didn't work at all for me (their products for men, that is).

If it is going to cost you a fortune, ask for samples first!

I tried Crème De La Mar and wasn’t impressed. And yes, I did that thing where you rub it between your fingertips before applying to emulsify it. I think it may be designed for folks with older/dryer skin than mine. It just felt like it sat on the surface w/o penetrating my skin. I now have a regime that consists of a vitamin C cream, Green tea serum, moisturizer, sunscreen for the day and good old fashioned retin-a in the pm. I highly recommend! :woot:

D0438386088242_45e68.jpg

it should be about 100 +/- usd.. im from singapore and its around 200+ sgd over here my mom sis are usin' it and both of them absolutely lovvveeee itt!! cos' i still cant find a day cream that i love, my mom asked me to share hers with ther.. so yea i'd say i think it's okay :D but i dont see it workin wonders on me yet.. maybe cos' im only usin' it in the day..but i looovve how it turns so nice and warm when you rub it..

when you buy it the sales assistant will explain to you how exactly to use it:
  1. scoop up a small bit with the spatula
  2. rub it between your fingers with both hands
  3. pat on
it's actually worth the money your're payin' cos' its to be used as a replacement for all face creams..so you can use it day or night, even for your eyes and neck. so if you think about it, you won't be usin any other cream it substitutes everything :wink:

NIKKA said:
I have used both. I haven't really seen any dramatic improvement that you would think you would see with the prices they are selling at. The La mer is pretty good for winter months though...

Yesss...., it's right. I really don't want to continue using La mer. It doesn't work at all to my skin. For comfort feeling during winter is ok, I tried 2 bottles can't see any difference. :yuk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->