Fabric Houses In New York City

AndUrPointIs

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm new to the board and was hoping someone might tell me where the best places are in NYC to find nice fabrics for less than $8 a yard when you wish to go into production?

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who can help me out. :flower:

okay i have a question to ask that is related, but it's the opposite of what andurpointis wants to know....
can any of you tell me where to go to find high end fabrics in new york or los angeles? ...price is no option..

In New York I like to get fabrics at:
Parons
Mood
B&J

They arent necessarily the cheapes though...but Parons will give nice discounts if youre buying a larger quantity.

Mood and B&J arent really into discounts, actually they are expensive, but the selection is wonderful.

As for the "less than $8 a yard" question...what kind of fabric are we talking about?

Honestly, one of the BEST fabric centers is in jersey i think. they even have an awesom website www.blanksvilledesignerfabrics.com Ill swear by them, Its the only place i know that actually buys direct from the top companies like jcrew and prada. I buy pima cotton all the time for like 11$ a yard

definetly check it out because from what i understand its one of the biggest direct to public fabric centers in north america.

As for the "less than $8 a yard" question...what kind of fabric are we talking about

Mainly cotton knits. Various blends.

Thanks to everyone who replied. And thank you, Holland for the website. I will definitely be checking them out!

Originally posted by brian@Aug 9 2004, 06:10 PM
okay i have a question to ask that is related, but it's the opposite of what andurpointis wants to know....
can any of you tell me where to go to find high end fabrics in new york or los angeles? ...price is no option..
[snapback]326403[/snapback]​

Brian, go to Mood. Tons of designer fabrics

Where's Mood. Is it the one on 39th st b/w 7 and 8? I was told to go there next time I'm in the city but forgot the address. I know I've seen it on my way to an appointment, but then forgot about it.

Originally posted by purechris@Aug 10 2004, 12:59 PM
Where's Mood. Is it the one on 39th st b/w 7 and 8? I was told to go there next time I'm in the city but forgot the address. I know I've seen it on my way to an appointment, but then forgot about it.
[snapback]327267[/snapback]​

Yes it's b/t 7th ave and 8th but it's on 37th.

The address is 225 West 37th. st. Suite 3

Luna-quick question:
Do they have yardage minimums at mood? Is it pretty much open to the public?

I've never been fabric shopping in NY. I find it incredibly overwhelming and sometimes intimidating on how much is in front of you when you walk into those places. The button and trim stores alone make my head spin.

No minimum I think... and yea.. it's pretty much all the way open to the public.

Some fabric stores only allow wholesale... which sucks a lot...

And I love the trimming stores.. So many interesting findings.. Mmm.

no - Mood allows the general public so theres no minimum. If your in business you should get your tax i.d. so you can take advantage of shops that offer wholesale prices. But really, I find that if youre buying a quantity of fabric many places cut prices for you. Not Mood though.

Also try a place called Metro fabric....gee I cant remember where they are I think 38th, on 5th floor. A little shop.

All the suggestions above are great and also just go to the garment district in New York and walk up and down 40th, 39th and 38th between 7th and 8th and you wll tons of stores with discount fabrics of every discription. However not all will be available for larger lots or production, but many can arrange to get more. It is worth the time spent because you will learn where these things are and develop a relationship with them.

B&J is my fav ones along with Parons, Rosen Chadick, Elegant Fabrics
Barrons, Mood, Belraf Fabrics Inc, Fikret Fabrics, and A.K. Fabrics for higher end goods.

I just checked out that website -- bankville-something-or-other...seems a good one to peruse now and then, but I think that if you are in new york is really is best to just go to the shops. Some of the prices on that website can be beaten.

I apologise if this is not the right forum for this....but I need to get the attention of the serious fashion people here!

If anyone has experience shopping NYC's garment district for apparel fabric, I would love a little advice from you!

I am planning a trip in a couple weeks to buy fabric for the small women's line I'm working on and I am having a hard time finding resources online. I'm coming up with alot of interior decorating fabric wholesaling sources, and not much else. The best store I've found so far is Mood Fabrics, and I know there are a plethora of fabric shops in the garment district!

Can anyone tell me...if I get to the garment district is just like a magaical land filled with friendly fabric wholesalers on every corner? I would be so grateful for any reccomendations or directions, I have never been to NYC and I'm already overwhelmed!

I am attending a fabric show while I'm there, so I'm hoping to get some good info there, but I would love to be more prepared.

Thanks in advance everyone!

XOXO-K

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->