Fair / Pale Skin

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by desertrose05, Sep 16, 2004.

1. desertrose05

desertrose05 New Member

Does anyone remember what month of US Vogue they ran the pale skin article? I think it featured Karen Elson and it was about why some women choose to keep pale skin in the summer as opposed to tanning. Thanks!

2. Bonchic

Bonchic New Member

I've been thinking along the same lines as not tanning alot in the summer.. Because pale (porcelian) skin is really pretty and just looks beautiful.. But of course you need the sun at least 5 minutes 3 times a week for vitamin D!

3. twilight fairy

twilight fairy New Member

Meh, I wish other people would have the same views - pale = beautiful sometimes. But like, 80% of my school seems to think Christina Aguilera skin = hottnesssss. :sick:

4. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

SPF is god. I'll never manage to acheive pale pale skin, but protecting your skin from the damaging rays is very important unless you want to look like a prune when you're 35. (Not to mention while you go and get treated for skin cancer.)

Tanning beds = cancer tubes. :smile:

5. Gboy

Gboy New Member

...love pale skin :innocent: its richer and not comerciall as tanned :flower:

6. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

Are you looking for that article, or did you just want to discuss it?
    I can try to find it for you if you like. :smile:

7. Honey

Honey New Member

I'm just pleased that I will look younger than a lot of women in my age range (due to the popularity of tanning) in 10-20 years. I don't smoke, I wear sunscreen, and I have a good cleansing routine.

*crosses fingers*

8. Nemova

Nemova -

That would be nice :flower:

9. desertrose05

desertrose05 New Member

Well, really I am looking for a product to help "lighten" my skin. I thought maybe that article would have some ideas. My skin is naturally quite pale, but I accidently got a mild tan over the summer and it just won't go away! So I need something that I can use not only on my face, but also on my arms and legs. Also something that helps get rid of freckles (I don't have a lot) and evens skin tone would be nice :flower:

10. lovespell

lovespell New Member

I love having pale skin. I tanned in the bed once, and really really regret it. I seriously considered the Mystic Tan, but I've given up with all that crap. I think my pale skin is beautiful. Creamy and smooth pale skin looks much better then skin that has been damaged by the sun.

11. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Tanning beds are seriously the devil! I have never touched one, not even before spring break, or before my high school prom... I just cannot deliberately do something that I know is damaging to me to satisfy me in the present.

I have pretty pale skin, not porcelain, but pail, anyway.. :flower:

12. Harvz88

Harvz88 New Member

me too! i'm so happy with my pale skin, and am glad that it forces me to always always wear sun protection. when people tell me im pale, they say it almost like an insult, but theyre just ignorant! if someone could find the article id be so appreciative!

13. jennifer~

jennifer~ Active Member

I've received similar, pseudo-insults for my pale complexion on many occasions! It's really frustrating.

14. Harvz88

Harvz88 New Member

from now on im just gonna say "i know, thanks!"

15. Harvz88

Harvz88 New Member

while secretly thinking to myself "you wish you were so cool..."

16. moussemaker

moussemaker Active Member

I'd like to see this article, too, if you don't mind... :rolleyes:

I always were creams with SPF, from 15 to 60...I love pale skin and would never ever use a tanning bed!

Beautiful pale celebs are Liv Tyler, Christina Ricci, Karen Elson and Dita von Teese
    [​IMG]

17. saturnine

saturnine New Member

I have very pale skin, in fact, translucent, and I always used to get told that I 'needed a tan' in high school, and was nicknamed 'the porcelain doll'. :lol:

18. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

I actually went looking through all of my Vogues yesterday and still couldn't unearth it. I found two similar articles though, one on freckles, called "Dappled Thing" and the other on just avoiding sunburns. Sorry about that, I did try though.

19. desertrose05

desertrose05 New Member

Thanks for checking Purplelucrezia. I wish I could remember when I saw that. I'll try to go to the library this weekend and look through all their back issues. Also, just a question, what is the difference between "pale" skin and "porcelain" skin? And how high of an SPF would I need to not tan at all in the sun? (I usually burn, but then it will fade into a bit of a tan :yuk:)

20. oceanharlot

oceanharlot stories everywhere

Shieshedo makes a 35 block that looks like foundation and goes on like foundation. My lil bro uses it in the water when he goes surfing so he doesnt burn. It leaves his skin really pale even after going in the sun for long periods of time in the hot, hawaii sun while surfing. so I'm sure it would help keep your skin perfectly pale...

Also, maybe invest in a really cool floppy hat and slather on the 45 block. Try the gel block stuff with UVA and UVB protection.

To get rid of your current tan, exfoliate daily, it encourages new cell growth (all that a tan is, is a layer of skin that has darkened and has yet to slough off) and will help get rid of the old cells. Don't overdo it though- it can make your skin red and scaly. And MOISTURIZE!

I think the most important thing is sunscreen. and more sunscreen.