Fake Out - Faux Fur for Fall 09

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Fake fur is getting better and better....

and it seems like everyone is doing some sort of faux fur this season...
lots of people are doing a fake fur vest ( zara has a good one i hear)
and kate moss has a fake fur in her topshop line...

adrienne landau who has had her furs featured in vogue magazine for more than 20 years now has even launched a faux group of jackets...

is anyone here sporting a fake fur this season..?!?
what are the best ones out there right now?
pics please!!

:P

I have a cool white faux fur vest. It only looks like fur but it's really made up of loops of cotton-y type fabric. I also recently bought a faux fur jacket from my school drama department's costume sale. I'm excited to see some nicer quality faux fur. It usually sucks.

i agree- it usually sucks!...
^_^...

and it's amazing to me to see how popular it's becoming....
that's why i thought it should get it's own thread finally...
now that it's getting better...

Hi

I've always been a fan or real fur over faux... I must admit and it's been down to the quality and softness of the fur and the look.

Although you are right... faux fur is by far and away the best it has ever been... almost so good you cant tell the difference in some cases and I just wonder how many girls out there are wearing real but telling their friends its fake?

Anyway... as for the fake fur though... I think M and S and bizarly New Look have the best i've seen so far. New Look really surprised me as its so normally not my sort of shop... usually find it kinda cheap and nasty really... but they do this fab leopord fur short coat and it only £50!

I may even think of buying one myself which is kinda unheard of for me as i've never considered it before!

Would love to see other peoples faux fur ideas too!

WSG x

I'm into faux animal products in all fields so yeah with fake leather yeah with fake fur!!! Every fake animal caring product is good for fashion and so the people who follows it... And its good for animals too..

So yeah William_St_Girl you considering buying fake fur is a lil' step for you but a big step for animals!! Good for you I sincerely hope you find way better in that faux fur! And noooo im not being ironic or anything like that... its people like you the ones that could make a brand new different perception about certain items... I'm glad some designers are contributing to this too.

I got many faux items not sure i ever got fake fur as it looks so real one... that my ethics made me freak out big time... ( yeeeh some of you know me :smile: )but Zara's brands makes some stuff like it...and so Topshop...

My thoughts of buying fake fur are no more than financial to be honest... the ethics of real fur dont really come into it for me at all... just dont care about that... its all about the cost of the material against look... and fake fur (some of it and I mean some) Is starting to interest me because the look can be acceptable but without the cost... Its as simple as that for me... the luxuary factor has to be there! I'd want any faux fur I ever bought to look authentic in tems of paterns etc too... which im not sure many of them have yet!

But yeh for me its def a possibility i'd consider... I have already... seen a nice coat in M and S... although still have issues with the weight to warmth ratio too... and the luxuary!

But yeh fake fur is lookin a lot better to me!

WSG x

^Despite your reasons its good you tried 'em & even like 'em :flower:
im such a lil' expert about synthetics I won't be worried 'bout the warming if the piece is good made :wink:

^Despite your reasons its good you tried 'em & even like 'em :flower:
im such a lil' expert about synthetics I won't be worried 'bout the warming if the piece is good made :wink:

^ How do you mean "I won't be worried 'bout the warming if the piece is good made " I dont quite get that? As there is no competition between real fur and synthetic in terms of warmth as far as im aware or in anything i've read!

Any other girls out there with good faux fur coats you have bought... really interested in seeing them... and kinda cant believe this thread is not taking off more as everywhere I looked on Sat when I was in the shops it was people wearing faux fur!

WSG x

Really want a faux fur jacket this winter, they look so yummy and warm, so annoyed with myself i didn't get the topshop one when i had the chance, grr!

i agree wst...:P

i have been seeing it everywhere...^_^...
though, if i'm honest- mostly in stores- not so much on people..
maybe it's one of those things that isn't really catching on, even though the mags and stores are trying to push it???

i know that some of our members definitely have fake fur vests...
i think that is the most popular thing i am seeing out there right now...

i started to post yesterday..
but it didn't go through somehow...
i think one great use for fake fur is boots...
so warm and really easy to clean as well..
^_^

old navy has got some right now-
basically they are ugg look-a-likes....
but super cheap-o!
*not really my thing- but certainly they are very popular...

^ Hey maybe that is the case... ie our members are not wearing it... but out there on the high st im seeing it everywhere... and on girls as well as in the shops... I'd say on sat 1 girl I seen in twenty at a below 50 age range had some form of fur on fake real or otherwise... or at least a scarf or hat etc...

Or in top shop, zara or new look from what ive seen about a 1/4 of their coats this season are fur

I'd say certainly in the uk its made a real resurgance and in my opinion quite rightly so as for me you cant get anything more luxurious and feminine than fur!

Come on girls of the UK high st... post your fur!

i feel like i've been seeing a lot of faux fur leopard print coats/jackets out there...
mostly in magazines etc i would say
and the ones i've seen in stores haven't been the best quality, but i haven't really been out to a lot of shops lately so i can't be the greatest judge on that...

it's great to see the faux fur looking better in general though...
because when it's bad it's REALLY bad... :rolleyes:

i had kind of been wanting a faux fur jacket but haven't been able to find anything that really has caught my fancy...
i also haven't ardently been searching for one though... just as a disclaimer :P

Oh my god...

Since my weekend christmas shopping trip i've so gone off faux fur again... Seen loads of women and girls in it and god knows why they are buying them but some of them look soooo cheap and tacky... especially the leapord fur short jackets.

You are so right above... when its bad its REALLY Really vulgarly, awfully bad!

Dont get me wrong I know there are nice ones out there but have decided its def not for me... at the end of the day its fake... and I dont really do fake! And dont want to be tarred with the brush by anyone that anything of mine could be fake... or have anyone thinking my look is cheap... which is not me... so whilst I did like some and try one on... I'll not be buying them.

I guess for me the one good thing is that the fur look is in in general which is good as most people cant tell or wouldnt know the dif anyway!

So all i'd say to anyone on the faux route... is just make sure you take a double take before you rush to buy... but there is I admit some nice out there... but it does tend to be more expensive!

you know- i had forgotten about this...
but since it has gotten seriously colder here, i pulled out my warmer coats and i have a faux shearling coat from Armani Exchange...
one of the only things i have ever bought from there!
:P

but it's great looking and SOOOOO warm...
and just a very nice alternative to a puffy down coat...
^_^

I've never been a fan of real nor faux fur.. But I think the overload of faux fur in the shops finally got to me. At least I bought a faux tube scarf thingy the other day. And it's soo warm.. Which is good seeing it's about -10 C degrees here.. This is more of a trend based item for me, so it's a good thing it was cheap.. Would never have bought it if it was real...
^_^

i've actually kind of been wanting a faux fur hat... one of those Russian style hats :lol:
no flaps though...

haven't yet found one that doesn't look completely ridiculous :rolleyes:

^I want one of those as well... Actually I really want one like Elmer Fudd's, always have.. I just haven't found the perfect one... :doh:
- But I like that they are ridiculous - I think that's allowed when it comes to hats. ^_^

In general I feel that faux fur can make a good material for trimming and embellishing, but I think a whole coat or something made entirely of it is kinda silly. It seems ironic to me like wearing a fake monogram bag or eating fat free potato chips. I wonder what is the point? If you are against it why would you want to pretend to have it? But I guess each person has their own reasons for what they buy. The only case that makes sense to me for doing an entire garment in it is if it is all about the pattern of the coat and not the material so much. For example a leopard or ocelot pattern or tiger/zebra print where the selling point would be in the coat's visual and not tactile qualities. And obviously in those instances wearing real would be in really bad taste if not literally a crime (I think it is legal to wear if you own it already but not legal to sell or buy or anything, IDK).

ChrissyM and Tinetush: I have been thinking about that hat style too! Like the kind the soldiers in period movies wear, not the really tall ones, but like a helmet made of fur kinda right? I haven't seen any cute fake ones either (that were nice quality) but I did see some vintage real ones in a similar style. But I think people's heads were smaller when they were made because none of them fit! And yea, I think no ear flaps for me either, I want one that is big and fluffy enough that it already covers my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->