Fall Of The House Of Versace

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by stylegurrl, Aug 16, 2004.

1. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

2. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

that's harsh... :neutral:

*evil smile*

3. purechris

purechris no photos, no photos

That last paragraph says it all. I've been reading up on them lately and I just think that the Versace look is getting to be a bit outdated. In the late 80s and early 90s, I dreamed of Versace. However, I have changed with time as I think the rest of the world has. I wonder how Gianni would have evolved if he had not been so brutally killed. I agree with the writer that "Donatella's collections are most certainly not devoid of merit", but nothing seems to be any different from season to season. Sure, techniques and fabrics change, but you can ALWAYS clock Versace.
    Hopefully, rehab will afford her (and her brother Santo) the time to figure out what they are doing and the direction to take their business. Their family has made such an impact on the industry that it would be sad to see their flame burn out. It would actually be interesting to see somebody like a Tom Ford step in and help turn the house around. And to be honest, I could see him doing so (although it is highly improbable), regardless of what I think of his "design" talents.

4. faust

faust New Member

So true...

5. nycgirl84

nycgirl84 New Member

Not suprising.

6. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

As I have noted before if such a brand as Burberry can be made hip in such a context then a label as Versace is no matter.

7. clay

clay New Member

Decline does not mean though. I hope that when D gets out of RH she has some
    clarity. I do believe Versace is a bit out of step with the times.Cavelli really did take their game and run with it( even with his own troubles). Woudnt it be great to see some unkwon walk in and turn the whole direction around to great success. They do have choices here. Licencees make more money than Couture and RTW anyday.
    However , that may cheapen the brand image. Or get a fresh staff of designers and really focus on taking versace into the 21 st century with originality. Gucci did it,
    Bill Blass is still trying to find its high fashion ground ( but they are a billon dollar company thru licencees. I know many people that work for them still ), Burberry did as mentioned above. So I can see a fresh attitude going far with that company.
    But I must admit i fell in love with Versace in their heyday of the 80's when Gianni could do no wrong. I still remember some of the add campaigns. Truely those days are gone forever.

8. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

Licenses are a dreadful thing for high end companies. Think what it did for the images of YSL, Gucci, Bill Blass, Halston, etc.

The best way would be for a revival. If stagnant companies like Balenciaga or Nina Ricci can be remade Versace is certainly a better opportunity. Schiaperelli is sure due for one.

9. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

i have never like the trashy tacky versace look and am glad it's out of fashion...i do not miss it one bit...

10. clay

clay New Member

Gianni was not always trashy. Some of his leathers, the metal mesh, and his beaded gowns were
    great back in the day. Again back in the day, not for the last 20 years though. :wink:
    I never like all the Medussa, Sungod , prints and stuff. The more sedate stuff.
    He had great greek draped gowns though for sure.. :innocent:

11. clay

clay New Member

Totally true. I believe Bill Blass now owns Halston on a side note, or only controls one of the licencees.

12. Holland_MULTIMEDIA*

Holland_MULTIMEDIA* New Member

Im not gonna lie. Versace will always hold a special place in me. I remember the first designer piece of clothing I ever bought was when i was 14, I saved all summer to buy a 300.00 Versace sweater. I wish them the best.

13. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

i'm just not a fan of that kind of overt sexuality...i prefer modesty....a different kind of sexy...that's all... :flower:

14. helena

helena Swim Upstream

My sentiments exactly!! :lol: The latest ad campaign is so disgusting.

15. ebowleg

ebowleg New Member

I had full steam at the start of the article and lost it half way through, but all houses have trouble...why not Versace? No, Versace isn't what it used to be, it's more refined and more wearable, and the rehab spotlight didn't help at all, but to say that

is going a bit far I think...:innocent:

16. macchiom

macchiom New Member

I’m not the biggest fan of Versace but occasionally they have some nice items.

But no matter what I think it’s a bid sad to se such a (Former?) fashion powerhouse struggle.

17. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

very good article but i take issue with someone saying a HOUSE has gone out of fashion...a name brand in and of itself cannot go out of fashion...the fashion's in the clothes and the merchandise. we've seen donatella wreck some very good collections over the past few years not for lack of talent but for refusing to move the line. if bill blass, revillon, and jil sander can stage come backs then i think that an existing house like versace can too. sure they'll have to shut the shop doors and maybe strip down to their essentials, but there's good history and good product at versace. i've been to the versace boutique on madison and seen little rich queens buy several sets of versace sheets and platinum buckle belts and all that. the customer's exists, there's just nothing to buy.

18. faust

faust New Member

If you want to revive this house Donatella must step down. She is a horrible designer, and the hype is gone now. The media moved on to D2, Cavalli and other trash. Time to direct the attention to something else. I would definitely hire Tom Ford if I was them :lol:

19. Miss Elaneous

Miss Elaneous New Member

I have always associated Versace with cheap glamour, razzle-dazzle sexy gowns, tarty tack but recently have had the need to work with the clothes, and have been completely amazed by the gorgeous, understated, really wearable pieces in all their ranges - from Jeans Couture, Versus and Versace.

I think they need to smarten up their image. The whole Medusa head and Greek Key thing is just not where fashion is in now. It was fine for the 80's and supermodels and OTT'ness, but everyone else has moved on - Versace have stagnated.

They need someone to come in and sort out the bad from the good.

I truly believe there is still a place in the market for them, but it will be difficult for them to claw it back. They need to employ people who know where to take the brand image. If Cavalli can make money, there's no reason why Versace can't. It might just be difficult to shake off the stigma.

20. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

Honestly, I can see what the article's talking about. To me the smartest direction in terms of design would be something along the lines of what Donatella did last fall (2003). It was the most practical collection she's done in years. I definitly think it's time for them to switch gears. The over-the-top sexy, glitzy, high-octane glamour that the house has become known for just worked better in the past. Even some of the more recent Versace collections were good (imo) but lately it's been lacking something.......oh well, as much as I love the house of Versace, I think it's time for something new.