False Sleeves F/W 10.11

Crying Diamonds

Geometric Discharge
Reaction score
This trend has come a coincidentally appropriate time for me - the shirt I have just created at university had false sleeves that fell away from the arms and now I am researching a costume inaccurately designed to resemble fashions of somewhere in the Medieval or Tudor period.

I noticed a sort of trend coming about last winter; Galliano showed jackets hanging from the backs of the model with no apparent purpose apart from decoration, then in spring Dries Van Noten and New York designer Rad Hourani both had the same idea of creating jackets that were also backpacks.
Parallel to this, Phoebe Philo's first collection for Celine - pre-fall 2010 showed models wearing jackets over their arms as if placed there by a caring loved one on a cold evening.
Michael Kors did the same thing this season with the gorgeous small detail of slashes in the elbows.
When Aquascutum became one of many to show false sleeves this season, I had to post. But this isn't just about slashed sleeves, how about sleeves worn in a different way? As strange as that sounds. Fake sleeves - imitation sleeves. Whichever.

Aquascutum

00050m.jpg

style.com

It looked nice at the beginning and Balenciaga's version got me sold on this trend ^_^

The sleeves almost become deliberately worn this way, pressed into position at Maison Martin Margiela, removing the casual gentleman-gave-me-his-coat idea
Maison-Martin-Margiela-FALL-RTW-2010-PODIUM-002_show_fullscreen_view.jpg
Maison-Martin-Margiela-FALL-RTW-2010-PODIUM-004_show_fullscreen_view.jpg

Maison-Martin-Margiela-FALL-RTW-2010-PODIUM-005_show_fullscreen_view.jpg
Maison-Martin-Margiela-FALL-RTW-2010-PODIUM-015_show_fullscreen_view.jpg

and real false sleeves..
Maison-Martin-Margiela-FALL-RTW-2010-PODIUM-025_show_fullscreen_view.jpg

elle.com

False sleeves and false cuffs at Yves Saint Laurent

00030m.jpg
00080m.jpg

00220m.jpg
00330m.jpg