Fashion Biographies

superria

Reaction score
Hey guys! I read this article recently about Fashion Biographies on Fashionbi (http://fashionbi.com/newspaper/fash...-look-at-some-of-the-best-fashion-biographies). There were some that particularly jumped at me like Alexander McQueen and Isabella Blow. But surprisingly there wasn't anything about Coco Chanel, or Christian Dior.

Are there any other Fashion Biographies that you think are worth reading? There are so many out there, I mean I'm sure Diana Vreeland alone has tons about her. So which Biographies would you really REALLY suggest, and why?

All the help would be great! :smile:

Grace - Grace Coddington's memoir was excellent. I enjoyed the look through years of fashion, from her work in modelling in the 60s, to styling in the 70s, to working for designers in the 80s and moving to America, through to ultimately her time at American Vogue. It's very contemporaneous as she's discussing things like The September Issue in the first chapter, and yet she weaves in so much personal and fashion-related history via her own life experiences. It's really well done!

I also like Edie Sedgwick's biography, Edie; now, it's not a fashion bio, per se, but there is quite a lot in the book about her underground and groundbreaking style, not to mention Edie's brief stint with modelling. So I think it pertains to the topic of your thread to some degree! :flower:

In and Out of Vogue: A Memoir by Grace Mirabella is probably the most enjoyable fashion biography which I've read. It's interesting from start to finish. Grace is such a terrific writer and is very open and honest about her eventful time at American Vogue. I think Grace is sometimes forgotten whenever the history of Vogue is mentioned. So I found it fascinating to read and find things out about out events I never knew before (and what you cannot find online).

I have The Vogue Factor by Kirstie Clements to read (I need to finish Revenge Wears Prada first). I've heard it's another good fashion biography so look forward to getting around to reading it.

Incredible to hear that about Coddington's memoir - I've been meaning to take a look at it. :smile: Also really nice to hear that about Grace Mirabella, so I think I might give this one a go as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->