Fashion Gets Political

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by faust, May 26, 2004.

1. faust

faust New Member

From the Village Voice

[​IMG]

#1 faust, May 26, 2004
    Last edited by moderator bryanlaw: Jun 26, 2017
  2. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

rah rah... :flower:

3. Honey

Honey New Member

I :heart: the Gaza Strip Club shirt, and the "The only Bush I trust is my own" :D

And I beleive that what the "Body As Billboard" company is doing is very smart. Although I personally wouldn't wear something as brash as "**** Bush"

4. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

5. Luna

Luna offline.

I totally want that tank.

6. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

:heart: thank you!!!

7. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

*Yawn*...it's all a bit childish really - cheap 'Bush' puns on a plain white tank...

8. tott

tott slightly dizzy

I happen to believe that politics are important, I think it's great when fashion people care. I just wonder how many actually really do care?

It often stops at cheap, populistic slogans that anyone could support.

9. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

10. Orochian

Orochian New Member

Believe me, the subject of the pun doesn't deserve anything more sophisticated or mature. That phrase as is would take him about 30 minutes to comprehend.

11. PrinceOfCats

He has an MBA from Harvard Business school which, while he may not be an intellectual giant, qualifies him as smarter than the average bear (no offence to Bear)...and politics is a serious issue which requires more thought than cheap puns and silly frippery.

12. nycgirl84

nycgirl84 New Member

Right on, Prince! You said it for me!

13. eloes

eloes New Member

'**** Bush' panties?!

:shifty:

:writes down the address:

That would make me smile all day long.

14. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

in our times and the way political situation is going,
    even my cat will turn political.. public reaction is inevitable

fashion has always been political, since middle ages and beyond,
    wearing a slogan may be cheap and 'light', nevertheless,
    it is communicating a political view, for all to see.

and dont forget, the MarkJacobs for Hillary a la Warhol T's
    or those with Che's face :p

ps. i couldn't wear the slogans mentioned in the article myself
    but i adore the body-as-billboard concept.
    thanks for the article :flower:

15. PrinceOfCats

'Tis true, Lena...however, I think fashion often trivialises politics - how many people who wear the ubiquitous photo of Che actually know when that photo was taken and why or even what Che Guevara did?

Katherine Hamnett comes to mind...

16. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

while i agree that wearing a t-shirt really doesn't matter...especially if the proceeds are going to a lawyer in NJ... :rolleyes: ...

i don't think that a degree from harvard is all that impressive...my ex has a masters from harvard and so do most of his colleagues and friends...while they are all intelligent folks...i am not particularly in awe of any of them...and i can certainly hold my own ...if not run circles around them in conversation...

my best friend from hs also went to harvard...now you may ask whether i did as well...and the answer would be that i chose not to...i did not like the quality of the people who attended that school...they all had a superiority complex and harvard re-enforces that idea in its student body...the students have very little concept of reality...of course there are exceptions...i am speaking of the overall majority of the student body...the ones who got in because mumsy and daddy and grandpa all went there and donated large sums of money to insure junior's admission...oh my...does that sound like anyone we know?... :innocent:

so ...i really don't think that a diploma from that school really means all that much...he didn't exactly graduate magna cum laude... :ninja:

17. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

i absolutely agree, as i said, silly or not, it's still sending a very specific message.
    reacting to a crisis

and yes of course, Mrs Hamnett :heart:

18. Orochian

Orochian New Member

He barely graduated from Yale, and it's an open secret that it's none other than family connections which got him into Harvard Business School.

You don't need that keen of an eye to tell the man is a complete utter moron.

No one is going to take a silly t-shirt like this seriously, and I doubt its makers ever intended or expected it to be. At best it's a light-hearted reflection of the political sentiments (which are serious) of a large portion of American citizens.

19. sweetjane

sweetjane New Member

i love this.

i think if you're going to spend money and time to buy a shirt like this, there's a good chance you might have an interest in what it represents...maybe not everyone...but if you're buying some thing that says "vote kerry" you might be inclined to vote kerry

and i love this idea...for the anit war rallies in Toronto me and my friends all made our owns shirts at $11 a pop.

20. nycgirl84

nycgirl84 New Member

True, his connections helped him get in, but that doesn't help you pass the classes. Most college professors are liberal anyway, so it's doubtful they would have been leniant on his grades. I just get annoyed when people make a statement like, "Bush is dumb" and give no explanations. Yes, he is the not the best speech-giver or the most articulate, but that does not automatically shout idiocy. I would feel the same if someone said, "Kerry is a liar" and then didn't back it up with examples. Kerry, by the way, was likely helped by his family's connections and prestige. His father was a big military guy and his mom was Rosemary Forbes of the Forbes family. I don't know who I'm going to vote for this year, but I just thought I should present this bit about Kerry to be fair. :rolleyes: