fashion illustration... dribble?

starz1

Reaction score
Not to bash what anyone does,
but dont u guys think that this may be the most wasteful part of a fashion biz? Like come on, u dont need these for designing, manufacturing OR selling the garments to buyers.

In my opinion, their just for show, like u have your pr company plant them in magazines along with articles about your line of work.

I'm just keepin' it real.
comments?

I see your point, but I kinda disagree with it. I don't personally work in fashion illustration so perhaps I'm wrong but I think that fashion illustration is still a key part of the design process. It's a way to get your ideas on paper. I like to think of it almost like a blueprint an architech would use. You need it to reference back to. Can you make a garment without first drawing it, sure. But I think it keeps things nice and organized to do them. I'm biased though....I find fashion illustration to be a beautiful art.

Just say your a photographer as well, you can draw your scene show it to the respective person who is giving you $$$$.

It also shows perspective eg Ethereal Luxury (Aristocrat Demographic) or the Mass Market 5'8 "Normal" Demographic with the design ability to show how good the styling/garments are.

Its another form of beauty, it allows us to vision Haute Couture gowns without making it. :D

I disagree as well. It's still used by a designer to lay out their ideas, esepcially the high end ones ... and it's often used for ads, publicity, marketing, store displays, etc. It's still very useful.

And why would having something "just for show" be a negative or "wasteful"? That's part of what is called advertising, marketing, publicity. These things combine to create the single most important part of running a sucessful fashion business and staying alive ... getting customers to buy.

It might be a dying art because of technology, but it's not dead yet. And it would be a shame to loose it as a profession and an art.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your point, but I kinda disagree with it. I don't personally work in fashion illustration so perhaps I'm wrong but I think that fashion illustration is still a key part of the design process. It's a way to get your ideas on paper. I like to think of it almost like a blueprint an architech would use. You need it to reference back to. Can you make a garment without first drawing it, sure. But I think it keeps things nice and organized to do them. I'm biased though....I find fashion illustration to be a beautiful art.

i agree :flower: i think its important personally..

A sketch/illustration is imperative as the first step in any design discipline, whether its fashion, architecture or interior design. It lays the foundation and direction that leads to the final manufactured product and lets you express your many ideas quickly and fluidly.

If you go to school and study any kind of design, the first thing they will teach you is to sketch out your ideas, ****Edited ****

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agreed with tctra. It's only one of the most important parts of the design process ...

Fashion illustration spans from the technical point of view (flat patterns and whatnot) to the more fine art point of view. Up until the 1950s/1960s, fashion illustrators often created advertisements for not only fashion houses/magazines, but infiltrated all forms of visual advertisement.

Fashion illustration was huge in pre-1960s before fashion photography replaced it. Since then, it has been dwindling downwards. Couture-houses relied on fashion illustrators to create their garments on paper (with a little fabric swatch to describe the detail), with technology becoming more advance - Couture houses began sending video tapes of the shows instead of illustrations (around the 1980s I believe). Thus, fashion illustration died.

Today, it hardly exists. But, like fashion in general, trends from the past come back through a reinvented and more modern form.

James Jean (a very popular contemporary illustrator) collaborated with Miuccia Prada for her Spring/Summer 2008 collection. The illustrations were apart of the advertising, the garments themselves, his illustrations created their shoes, they used his color pallet with Miuccia's sense of tailoring, a motion graphics piece was created. Miuccia Prada also created 2 outfits for the female protagonist in Appleseed Ex-Machina, an animation set in a futuristic world, with war/violence and peace.

Takeishi Murakami collaborated with Louis Vuitton, a sweet twist between the signature LV handbags with Murakami sensibilities fused together. A small anime short was created. I remember going to Murakami's gallery in Little Tokyo in LA, which featured huge displays of LV + Murakami prints, accessories and artwork.

Julie Verhoeven collaborated with Versace for their Spring/Summer 2009 collection. Her artwork served as prints for Versace's summer dresses.

In the late 2000s, the line separating fashion, digital animation, illustration and art was blurred. Whether you liked these collections or not, this was first step for fashion and illustration to take a HUGE leap into the fashion world since the 1960s.

It manifested itself with entertainment and contemporary illustration. It's not necessarily fashion illustration, but serves as an even greater form of collaboration between artists and fashion designers. The NEW fashion illustrator.

I also find it very difficult to make fashion illustration in small countries with little to no fashion magazines.... Such a pity, since f. ill. could complete fashion editorials so well.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->