Fashion Industry Careers - Options (See individual threads for specific careers.)

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by marrimoda, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Luna

Luna offline.

FIT has some great jewelry programs and the instructors are actually decent in that program so you should enjoy it a lot.
    I'm working to get my BFA here at FIT in accessories design.. and while I do think that the courses in my program are very career specific, I think it will help me in the future... but then again, Fashion design is a VERY different major.. I have lots of friends that are in the major... and i also know lots of people that dropped out. I think I may have to take a course in fashion design when I get an elective opening... but I have no idea which one. Hm.. :blink:

2. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

great way to start up getting involved with fashion, youve been a long way mizjayne, a very warm welcome to tFS :flower:

*i started up with a shop, at 18, selling vintage.
    it was called Andy's Trash Shop -named and inspired by my then icon- Andy Warhol.
    *while having the shop, i was 'scouted' and proposed to be a stylist for the best model agency in town. i accepted. started styling new faces and met just everyone in business.
    *then i studied fashion design, history of fashion & theatrical costume in London.
    *returning home, i entered as assistand stylist to the best national fashion magazine at the time, then became fashion stylist/editor, head of team and finally fashion director for the local edition of a French publication.
    * etc etc. :blush: :ninja:

3. Oria

Oria New Member

Never mind what you hear about Parsons, you will learn real world skills, if your good doors will open for you, if you are good at what you do. I think the biggest mistake people make is thinking that everyone right out of college is going to be the next big designer, sometimes it takes time and some humbling and the experience at other houses to get going in this industry. I am still young and I don't mind at all working for others ... for now :lol:

I'm still not done with my training. But every job I've ever had came from my professors at Parsons even the current one I'm about to take on in Milan. Its an ongoing relationship that I've had nothing but good vibes from. I think you can't go wrong. The waiting list at FIT is so long because it is cheaper but that does not mean you won't get your money's worth. I still think the very best schools are in Europe, but I would say Parsons for many reasons has the upper hand over FIT right now, that could change and shift who knows its like fashion :lol:

Good luck on your studies and if you need any help, info please feel free to send me a private message.

4. Oria

Oria New Member

great way to start up getting involved with fashion, youve been a long way mizjayne, a very warm welcome to tFS :flower:

*i started up with a shop, at 18, selling vintage.
    it was called Andy's Trash Shop -named and inspired by my then icon- Andy Warhol.
    *while having the shop, i was 'scouted' and proposed to be a stylist for the best model agency in town. i accepted. started styling new faces and met just everyone in business.
    *then i studied fashion design, history of fashion & theatrical costume in London.
    *returning home, i entered as assistand stylist to the best national fashion magazine at the time, then became fashion stylist/editor, head of team and finally fashion director for the local edition of a French publication.
    * etc etc. :blush: :ninja: [/b][/quote]
    perfect information from both of you. And very honest abotu how hard this business is no one understands that and unless you have a dispensable money it will even be that much harder. But me I don't mind being the goofer or the assistant because I was that for 2 years while in school and its helped me gain a new post thats good for what I want long term! :flower:

5. kekeys

kekeys New Member

I would like to ask some questions for my research...

Who is fashion designer?
    How you imagine the job of designer?
    :unsure:

6. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

a fashion designer is oen who designs "fashions" clothes, asecories etc.

7. clay

clay New Member

Hi!

I am a designer but when working for company your role is much bigger
    tha just making beautiful clothes. Your role is to create a product that your loyal
    customers will continue to buy, and create new customers so that the business grows.

If the two do not work together, sooner or later you are out of a job. It is more
    like product developement. Cause depending on the company fashion may or may
    not play a role in what you design for your customer.

I worked for huge missy
    jeans company, and the simple 5 pocket jeans style that older women wear
    with the high rise, loose thighs and tight ankle is the foundation of the company.
    It was resposible for 80% of the sales in the company. It is not fashionable but
    my job was to make sure it had new colors, new prints and new fabrications.
    It was like repainting your 69 VW Beetle over and over again.

Good Luck! :wacko:

8. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

hi clay--welcome to tfs...nice to meet you...i loved your post...great to talk to someone on the inside :wink: :flower:

9. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

10. seditionary

seditionary New Member

thats a cool article ... thanks for posting

a question what is a J.A.P. ?????

11. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

You're welcome :flower:

A J.A.P. is a Jewish-American Princess-in other words, a wealthy woman from a Jewish family.

12. seditionary

seditionary New Member

isnt she limiting her clientele base... to just jewish peeps... dear dear...

13. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

you'd be surprised how many there are in the states, specially in NY.

actually i loved that article cos she is so right and honest.
    the fact that its all image based is nothing new but to base it on a JAP kinda amuses me.
    i got a lot of jewish friends and the first time i heard about JAP was in 89 (did summer camp in NY :lol: ). irony: its mostly the jewish girls who actually use that word to describe themselves.

i know im going off topic but, a family friend came to visit not long time ago (jewish from NY) and wanted to buy a gift for his girlfriend. he told me to take him somewhere where he could find soemthing for his JAP girl :wink: . i thought that was cute :flower:

they def got a big influence. they got the dough, spend it, so might as well direct the marketing strategy at them :P

as for the showroom rep, its quite a hard job to always be in the hunt for new designers. i dont think this lady is a good example since she is more focused on brands such as juicy et al! but the article gives a good idea of what the job s content is :ninja:

14. runner

runner .

Thank you stylegurrl 、

15. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

16. pennyfei

pennyfei Member

that's why i like Daily, they give so much interesting but not really useless info! Always somthing intriguing every day!

17. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

veyr intersting thank you

18. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

great article thanks for sharing :flower:

19. softgrey

what arrogance-a designer is paying a showroom to represent them...the showroom is employed by the designer...to say that the designer should not interview the rep is sheer arrogance...she's a total jap-and i would know, my high school was full of them... :yuk: and they ALL wore camp beverly hills...

can we have a new and original idea please?!?!... :wacko: that showroom doesn't really have great stuff-it's certainly not 'designer'-and they are total snobs for no apparent reason... just like the japs i went to school with...

whatever :rolleyes:

20. softgrey

and btw-most people who refer to someone as a jap are using it as another word for bitch!...it's not exactly a term of endearment...

funny that she should be proud of that...shows her true colours...and she's happy to call herself a 'mean' girl...

double :yuk:

and for the record-you don't have to be jewish to be a jap- it's now become a generic term for a rich spoiled bitch :flower: