Fashion Industry Careers - Options (See individual threads for specific careers.)

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by marrimoda, Jan 19, 2004.

1. homeboy

homeboy New Member

Thanks. I can't wait until I get back to europe to presue my career. At the moment I live in Socal, which isn't the ideal place in the US to presue a career in fashion.

2. prosperk

prosperk Member

A half-decent education is obviously an important component of any writer's profile but journalism and media studies degrees are about as useful as tits on bulls in the real world.

Bette is spot on with this advice to you:

PK

3. whatever2

whatever2 New Member

As i have previously stated, I'm thinking about a career in Accessories/shoe design. And I'm now pretty sure that is the right choice for me! The thing is, the only place to get a bachelor in this is FIT, and everything I've read in this forum kind of scares me... Is FIT really that bad? I understand that it's not as good as Parsons, but I haven't got the money to go there, and I REALLY want this education.
    But I can't even really afford FIT, if I decide to go there I'm facing years of paying back my loans... Since I'm a international student... So is if worth it?

I'm not looking to be the next jimmy choo or anything, but my dream is to open my own little store and design and create shoes and accessories... If I work hard, will I be able to do that after FIT?

4. young_princess

young_princess New Member

anyone here in the fashion industry who holds a business degree?

5. SomethingElse

SomethingElse Press escape to continue.

Global marketing seems to be in high demand. This article deals with the issue in India, but it is relevant in a lot of other regions, I think.

hindustantimes.com . published 7 September 2007

6. declan_steed

declan_steed New Member

*raises hand*

Though, I'm not in "fashion" as in magazine editors & photo shots. That's a world I don't know much about.

I'm in the glamorous <sarcasm> world of apparel manufacturing, product development, etc. - the operational and logistics stuff.

'scuse me... I have to go adjust the buttonhole machine, again :doh:

7. BetteT

BetteT Mod Squad Team Leader

:rofl: Glad to have you here at tFS, declan steed!

8. bluespring

bluespring New Member

we have the same situation again declan, we both have the same profession and education background. i bet your planning on starting your own line? womens? mens?

9. Cicciolina

Cicciolina New Member

I'm a lot more interesting in the business of fashion anyway :D Hope to hear more from you!

10. Fashiongirl1

Fashiongirl1 Guest

Hello everyone. Obviously I am extremely confused on what to pursue in the fashion industry... I just know I want to be in it like many others because I love fashion... What is a fashion director, or a fashion executive?

11. BetteT

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f90/fashion-director-47818.html

I found this doing an advanced search using the words "director" and "executive" ... just so you know. Here's information about how to do a better search (in the Member Support Forum) so you can find things easier by thread title ... just in case you have other careers you are considering ... chances are there's a specific thread on it already.

12. BetteT

I just found this recent article posted right here on tFS, and I thought it would be good information for this thread: