Fashion Industry Careers - Options (See individual threads for specific careers.)

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by marrimoda, Jan 19, 2004.

1. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend princely

thats the thing, IF you get work to do.

2. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

True, true. Hopefully I can get an education that is very versatile, and if I cannot get a job in fashion merchandising I will still be qualified for other marketing/advertising positions... :)

3. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

and IF it's work you love...you know...kmart, sears and jc penney do catalogs and that's modelling and styling and designing and art direction and etc...as well...

and you might not love that as much as, say, working for calvin klein or marc jacobs...
    ;) :innocent:

and especially in the US...the fashoin industry isn't especially fabulous...it's a lot of mainstream stuff...even the magazines are mainstream...
    liz claiborne and jones new york are two of the biggest fashion companies here...just think about it...even if you get a job..it may not be a job you love..and you' still be lucky to get it...

just trying to put some perspective out there... it's not this big dream thing that many people think it is...an it's quite a bit more bitchy and cut throat and competetive than most jobs...think about the kind of people who would be involved...nasty, superficial, back-stabbing monsters... of course you find that everywhere...but there's a higher concentration in fashion...

and mostly it's because everyone is just ridiculously dysfunctional and insecure... eveyone seems to be in therapy...

i know you'll all just try to do it anyway...but i just thought i'd put the facts out there... maybe it'll help if you know what you're getting into ;) :flower:

4. fab_fifties_fille

fab_fifties_fille crossed wires.

I obviously dont know what it will be like 100%, but in no way do i expect to fly through it, it's something thats very close to my heart and i'm determined to work at it. There's always a way around something its just that sometimes you have to take the longer route, that may mean going through jobs that arnt what you expected, but if it gets you to your destination then thats what it takes, just learn from the journey. I will not turn into one of those superficial back-stabbers, i will always have my groundings. xx

5. softgrey

you might actually be better off if you became a back-stabber...:innocent:
    sad ...but true...we were just talking about this at dinner...

6. fab_fifties_fille

fab_fifties_fille crossed wires.

;) i did say a superficial back-stabber, back-stabber is fine with me :p haha

7. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

I feel like, yes, Kmart may not be where I want to work, but you have to start somewhere. Isn't it that way in the fashion industry as well as other industries? Doctors have to be interns before they have a practice; lawyers have to be legal clerks to get some experience.

I'm not trying to argue, just to point out that.... if I do work hard, maintain your dignity (aka... backstabbing with class)... I believe I will be able to succeed. My major goal is to open my own boutique in Pittsburgh.. and a fitness center. That's a long way off, though...

8. softgrey

well..opening your own boutique is not really working IN the fashion industry...
    so you won't have to deal with any of the drama...
    retail is a separate animal...and you won't be involved in the back-stabbing...because you''l be on your own...doing your own thing... much better imo...

about the k-mart...my point is not that you work there and then work your way up...my point is that maybe that's the best you can ever do...it's not like people start at k-mart and then graduate to vogue...it's sort of one or the other...

or maybe it's either work at k-mart and make decent money...or work somewhere fabulous and be a pauper...

anyway...it's complicated...you'll figure it all out...it's definitely an adventure and it's different for everyone...good luck to everyone...:flower:

9. vintage_princess

vintage_princess Adorable illusion

Thanks softgrey for your advice and real insight!:flower: Its good to be able to read something thats honest even if it isnt all nice about the back stabbing and bitching :(

I remember a while back I told my friend about the bitchiness and superficial side of working in fashion..and she completely didnt understand where I was coming from..:blink:

10. renferme

renferme New Member

I used to work for a company linked to the one you mentioned - you are right - awful atmostphere - the worst people I've ever had to deal with in 15 years of designing. It was a climate of fear - I remember the awful way they used to treat each other.

I studied here

http://www.dmu.ac.uk/Subjects/Db/?course=901&printerFriendly=true

They also do a buying course for footwear - its the only one of its kind!

Footwear Buying BA

IMO Cordwainers is best if you want to set up on your own, like Gina Goodman, or Patrick Cox and De Montfort is better for if you want to work for others, or design sneakers. The most money to be earned is in the athletic footwear sector. Working for designer brands does not guarantee good pay - there was a job going at Hogan for a graduate a while ago and they were paying only £8000 per year ($16,000 USD) with no relocation package offered. :eek: Pretty sick if you consider how much the shoes cost. I've also heard that Prada is a really dreadful place to work - dunno if that's changed but they seem to get through shoe designers!

I work for myself now - as a consultant - I design collections for quite a few mid/mass market brands and one designer one. It has taken me 15 years to get here but its worth it. I think you need huger to make it, you also need to be able to think two steps ahead of your competitors and go that extra mile.

One thing I do like about the shoe trade, is that its not so bitchy like the fashion trade - its traditionally a mans trade, anyway and most people are pretty straight talking and upfront with each other.

#70 renferme, Jan 15, 2005
    Last edited by moderator : Jan 15, 2005
  11. luvkoshi

luvkoshi New Member

this thread makes me really sad. bitchy people attract bitchy people. like attracts like. there are plenty of lovely, sweet, helpful people in the industry. los angeles is not THE fashion hub, but fashion is everywhere here- it is intregal to the town's main entertainment industry, pays beyond what's fair, and is not impossible to get into. often times, talented assistants get to participate on set and get paid well. in fact, i know many costumers & stylists who have no formal education beyond highschool, but plenty of life experience, work ethic and spunk that have seen them through to the top. the quickest way to make a name for yourself is to get your designs photographed on a celeb & doing that is just a matter of creativity & courage. free your mind and the rest will follow :flower:

12. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

It's really good to have some honest perspective in here but koshi thanks for throwing that bit of optimism out there. I think before you enter an industry like this you have to honestly assess if you are prepared...not just like yeah it's going to be tough, I can handle tough but honestly think about it. This thread has given me a lot to think about. Can I be happy working for a low/mid level mass marketed brand? I honestly don't know. When we imagine things in our head so often it's glamorized and we imagine ourselves at the top and then glamorize even the bottom. And thats outrageous about Hogan, you can barely live in London for 1000 pounds a month and thats not even enough to cover that!

13. Luna

Luna offline.

exactly softie. At first when I started my degree in accessories I was all excited that I'd be working at some great company like MJ or something...

Turns out... working for the larger companies is all hype .. and no payoff.

The pay is terrible at Marc Jacobs...at least in the design field. Why do you think Emma Hill left? GAP offered her so much money!

Turns out I will be interning for Liz Claiborne starting February. And if I do well, the chances of me getting employed there are high. I'm excited. It's very hard to find a job right out of school.

You just can't be so picky about where you want to work...

#73 Luna, Jan 15, 2005
    Last edited by moderator oryry: Jan 15, 2005
  14. renferme

renferme New Member

The Hogan job was in Milan :flower:

Its actually a lot more challenging to design mass market. I've done 'own label' in the past - infact I still do trend forecasting for one High Street store. You are working with huge orders so the pressure is on to not f**k up and get ''winners'' (best sellers). Its very hard to please all the people all of the time, which is what you are essentially trying to do at that level - but anyone can design for themselves - that's easy. So I have a lot of respect for people who do the mass market well. I work with many brands who all have different personalities and I enjoy getting into the mindset for the target customer for each brand. Its like acting. You can't be a snob in this trade - especially if you are freelance. If I only worked for cool brands, I'd starve to death.

Even at top level - its not really that glamourous - I travel all over the world, but that can mean seven day weeks of work and the novelty does wear off when you are in your hotel room trying to get your laptop to fuction after a 27 hour journey. :rolleyes:

luna: You are right to get a job at Liz Claiborne if it is offered to you. The first job doesn't matter so much - you have to get your 'foot in the door'. Its a big company too, so you might find although it has a bad image amongst your friends, in the real world that name could look good on your c.v. and open doors for you.

#74 renferme, Jan 15, 2005
    Last edited by moderator : Jan 15, 2005
  15. softgrey

i totally agree with your points lady muck...:clap:
    i really don't think you can afford to be a snob...
    there are real perks to being in this field..but the drawbacks and the stress level are also real...the trick is to find the balance...

good luck with liz luna...that's a BIG company...could be a very good job..and their accessories are always cute actually...

16. Meg

I think it would be lady muck. I think the most important thing is to know your customer. I think my problem is that I wouldn't want to 'dullen' my creativity to the mass market. Mind you I'm not interested in the design aspect. I think it's hard to say well this is what I like but my customer doesn't have the same tastes. because if it's your tastes, it's your tastes for a reason...you like it! I think for me thats always the most difficult part. Can I not force my own likes/dislikes on others.

17. softgrey

meg...if you work for a company...it's not about YOUR taste...it's about their customer's taste...you want to be a buyer, right?...

if you have your own store...then it can be more personal...but you better hope enough people like your taste or you won't have a store for long...

it can be really depressing to work for a company you really don't like or respect...
    i did it for a year...it was AWFUL>>>

18. Meg

yes yes I know and thats why I say it's about the customers tastes and not your own and that I think for me that is the most fun but also the most challenging personally.

19. Londoner13

Londoner13 New Member

Fashion Industry

hmm.. I was thinking that I love fashion, and communication, and business (I'm still in high school^^). And all the fashion system just fascinates me SO much! So I was wondering what do people mean what they say "I work in the fashion industry"? what kind of job does this industry offer?

(is this the right place for this thread? hum:huh: )

#79 Londoner13, Feb 16, 2005
    Last edited by moderator : Feb 16, 2005
  20. snowqueen

snowqueen New Member

buying, merchandising, advertising, modeling, designing ,fashion photographing, anything in fashion retail Only ones i could think of the top of head hope it helps

#80 snowqueen, Feb 16, 2005
    Last edited by moderator : Feb 16, 2005