Fashion Industry Careers - Options (See individual threads for specific careers.)

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by marrimoda, Jan 19, 2004.

1. anti-hero11

anti-hero11 New Member

great thread...
    cannot give any advice on doctor or fashion editor...
    but here is my advice on getting started as a make-up artist or designer..

for makeup artist take a few basic classes. in minn there is the Aveda institute, and Jon English is a strong beauty expert in that area.
    After getting started and getting the basics, start painting faces. The more the better. Then team up with local photographers and tell them you would like to test with them. put together a book, then move to the fashion city of your dreams.at that point if you are really, really good check out the agencies, while you find a top dog to apprentice with.

fashion designer..

for starts.. sew, sew, sew.. learn to sew well enough to get an understanding. to start a two year degree at FIT or Parsons would be fine.
    Now in the big scheme of thing those schools are not really that great.
    if you are serious and good enough at that point take your two year degree and go to europe to one of the top flight schools there. if you are talented at that point you will be eaten up by one of the top design houses there.
    if not you could move to new york or calif and they would love your european experience and fall into a not so glamourous design, production, or product development job.
    in the united states most designers are esentially product developers, with very few exceptions.

2. anti-hero11

anti-hero11 New Member

when i moved to nyc and attended parsons, in conversation with one of my professors he asked me "why are you not going to FIT, when your from upstate NY. the cost is alot lower... plus he taught at both schools, as did many other professors..
    so there you have it. compare the teacher directories..

3. kem

kem New Member

Rachel was a buyer. Buyer's work for large companies such as Macy's or Bloomingdales and basically shop for what the customers want on the companies' budget. They would then have to mposition the product in a way so that it would sell to the masses. You can try studying fashion marketing.

4. Ingunn

Ingunn New Member

5. Vasileios Papako

Vasileios Papako New Member

I just got into the industry by starting distributing fashionable labels in Greece and I m telling you it is not as easy and fun as it seems. A lot of work alot of money to invest and a lot of risk. Think twice before start something and always have a good, realistic business plan

6. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

welcome to tFS Vasileios, i may be able to help u out in Athens, just pm me ;)

7. BCBG freak

BCBG freak New Member

any ideas on how to seriously get started on fashion design?
    im currently a sophomore in high school, but my friend and i are really serious about it. we already have like full to the top portfolios and sketches and we also made ourselves a name...

any help please?

8. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

try to enroll to a fashion design school/college bcbg freak , thats the best way to do it.. ;)

9. BCBG freak

BCBG freak New Member

thanks Lena, but i tried 2 here in Detroit, and they were both colleges and wouldn't accept me anytime before i receive my high school diploma, which i think is so stupid! [mad face]

10. ElenaD

ElenaD New Member

BCBG freak - why don't you and your friends try and start your own label now? Just see how you go trying to get some of your designs into local boutiqes or try to set up a stall at a local market.

It's great training and actual industry experience, plus you could make some cash and connections. Then when you have graduated High School, I bet that experience plus your amazing portfolio would get you into a top fashion school.

11. Jacque Marcel

Jacque Marcel army of lovers

Do you guys think 27 is too old to start thinking about going to fashion design schools such as FIT or Parsons...?

12. Sofi

Sofi New Member

ahh i hope not! i just got accepted to FIT FASHION DESIGN associate degree program.. i start in september .. i turn 28 next month! bite ur tongue !! :flower:

13. Jacque Marcel

Congrats to you. Gives me hope then. Good luck at FIT! :flower:

14. marrimoda

marrimoda doing it

NO! I know several people at Parsons who were well over 27 when they got started. In fact, they seem to do very well because they can apply real world experience and perspective. There are many studying who are in their early twenties, but then there are also people in their 30's studying. It makes plenty of sense.

15. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

try a practical school just to learn to do basics like patterns, this will give you freedom and like Elena said, go for it, start a small thing and let it see how it goes, even if its stupid, u will learn a lot ;)

no, just do it, it's never too old to do what you feel is for you at the moment :flower:

:D go for it sofi, good luck and stay creative

btw, welcome to tFS sofi and marcel :flower:

#135 Lena, May 29, 2005
    Last edited by moderator HollySaysYes: May 29, 2005
  16. Jacque Marcel

Thanks for the warm welcoming Lena! :D TFS is my favorite board...

17. BCBG freak

BCBG freak New Member

Wow thanks a lot for the advice guys.
    I'm gonna take your word.
    My friend suggested we get the word out and let people borrow the dresses... Then eventually start to sell them, which would most likely make some noise.
    Our brand's name is Deukanniez, by the way. :flower smiley: :D

18. surferchica

surferchica New Member

I also had a question about getting into the fashion industry. I'm a freshman in High School and have been weighing my options about what I want to do with my life. I had for a while wanted to become a surgeon but I'm so over that. It's kind of gross, but my dad got his hopes high and I think he still wants me to be a surgeon. but anyways, I want to get into the fashion industry when I graduate. I already have like 5 sketch book full of sketches with 3 on each page. I know it's a struggle and I'm not sure if I really want to get into it. Can someone give me some pro's about the business.

Also I'm putting together my own collection, What themes do you guys suggest for the collection. I was thinking Disney movie Villians. Please let me know!!!!!! Thanks:D

19. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

read the thread dear...
    plenty of info there...:flower:

#139 softgrey, Jun 1, 2005
    Last edited by moderator starrb81477: Jun 2, 2005
  20. ElenaD

ElenaD New Member

I am more a fan of clothes you can wear, rather than costumes...but there's no harm in you designing with that theme if that's what is inspiring you :)