Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), New York

I want apply to FIT too. The question about the age was great. How hard it is to get into the FMM program? I was thinking applying to their AA degree, since i have some college credits from community college here in CA.

What is the best way to get more info in person? Do they have easy access to counselors and such?

I am moving back to NYC in june and would like to go to their offices to get fully informed.

thanks!

When I applied to FIT, I went to their info session. it was very informative, you can check the website for the next available dates.

Hi everyone. I attend FIT, and I just wrapped up my freshman year. I'd be glad to try and help out with any questions.

As for the age of students, I've notice a lot more older people around, 21+. As a freshman, in my classes I was surrounded by kids my age from 18/19/20. But there are a lot more older people at school. People who transfer or are 1 year degrees will be surrounded by people around their age I believe.

Hi everyone. I attend FIT, and I just wrapped up my freshman year. I'd be glad to try and help out with any questions.

As for the age of students, I've notice a lot more older people around, 21+. As a freshman, in my classes I was surrounded by kids my age from 18/19/20. But there are a lot more older people at school. People who transfer or are 1 year degrees will be surrounded by people around their age I believe.

Thanks DreamonGood, I have been doing some Continuing Ed classes at FIT but am in the process of deciding whether to go futher and pursue (applying for) an AAS in Fashion Design.

The thing is, I'm 31 with a prior career and three degrees. Will I be the only one in this age group? How have you enjoyed your freshman year?

Last edited by a moderator:
I need help :(

So I'm currently at a state school and hoping to transfer preferably into F.I.T. by the spring semester, but I'm having trouble about what classes will transfer. When I spoke to my counselor at my current school, he told me to basically take apparel merchandising courses since that's what my major would also be at F.I.T.. Now, the thing that is that I spoke with a couple of people at F.I.T. right now and they all told me they would see what would transfer after being accepted. Can anyone help me and tell me if taking apparel merchandising classes at my current school would be the ideal classes to take in order for credits to transfer to F.I.T. Thank you :smile:

Anyone attending FIT's Open House?

I know there are a good number of aspiring fashion students and I was wondering if anyone has plans to attend this year's open house for FIT? I'm super excited to attend as it is by far my first choice and it will be my first time in the city. It would be nice to share experiences with others here on the forum.

Registration is now open (it opened last week, Wednesday I believe was the exact day around noon EST).

I guess it looks like I'll be the only tfs'er there.

Is anyone applying for the fall 2014? I'm submitted my application earlier this week so now it's just the waiting game and it'd be nice to have someone to obsess over it with.

I haven`t been but I think I know a girl who went there, didn`t graduate, and has been in like nylon magazine recently. her name is Doe Deere, lime crime etc.

I guess it looks like I'll be the only tfs'er there.

Is anyone applying for the fall 2014? I'm submitted my application earlier this week so now it's just the waiting game and it'd be nice to have someone to obsess over it with.

I've applied for Fall 2014. I'm super nervous/anxious. I guess I'm waiting on my 2nd application email.

Welcome to tFS, Anthh. And I wish you luck, too!

I've applied for Fall 2014. I'm super nervous/anxious. I guess I'm waiting on my 2nd application email.

Congratulations! When I was at the open house a few people mentioned their wait time for the secondary application wasn't made available in the time quoted on the site. Im glad someone else here is applying as well, what is your intended major?

Welcome to tFS, Anthh. And I wish you luck, too!

Thank you!

Congratulations! When I was at the open house a few people mentioned their wait time for the secondary application wasn't made available in the time quoted on the site. Im glad someone else here is applying as well, what is your intended major?

I expected an email but actually received a letter via mail with my information to log in. I'll be completing that as soon as I get over my burn out from this English paper I'm currently writing.

I'm applying for Fashion Merchandising.

Thank you!

I expected an email but actually received a letter via mail with my information to log in. I'll be completing that as soon as I get over my burn out from this English paper I'm currently writing.

I'm applying for Fashion Merchandising.

Aww, bummer about the burnout. I'm glad you received your log information though. Well I wish you the best of luck with your essay. I'm not trying to influence your essay or anything, but I do recall the professors and admissions mentioning that a good essay isn't "I've wanted to be in fashion since I was a kid and I love the runway shows", but speaks more directly to what exactly you like or interests you about fashion and how the degree will help you achieve your goal. I hope that helps, because when I read the prompt I could have written a several page essay on all the points they want you to hit on...so needless to say condensing everything down to 500 words was quite difficult.

I'm so excited someone else here is applying for the FMM program, are you applying to the honors program or do you intend to do the international bachelor's program?

Aww, bummer about the burnout. I'm glad you received your log information though. Well I wish you the best of luck with your essay. I'm not trying to influence your essay or anything, but I do recall the professors and admissions mentioning that a good essay isn't "I've wanted to be in fashion since I was a kid and I love the runway shows", but speaks more directly to what exactly you like or interests you about fashion and how the degree will help you achieve your goal. I hope that helps, because when I read the prompt I could have written a several page essay on all the points they want you to hit on...so needless to say condensing everything down to 500 words was quite difficult.

I'm so excited someone else here is applying for the FMM program, are you applying to the honors program or do you intend to do the international bachelor's program?

Thanks for the advice! Have you completed everything so far? I have a few other schools that I have things to do for so I haven't started with the 2nd portion of the application for FIT. Still juggling current school work and my job.

And no I don't qualify for the Honors Program sadly. Had a bad semester and it's put me just under the GPA requirement. Idk if I can raise it with these last few classes.

Thanks for the advice! Have you completed everything so far? I have a few other schools that I have things to do for so I haven't started with the 2nd portion of the application for FIT. Still juggling current school work and my job.

And no I don't qualify for the Honors Program sadly. Had a bad semester and it's put me just under the GPA requirement. Idk if I can raise it with these last few classes.

Yes, I did everything. I've known I wanted to go to FIT for a few years, but couldn't go to school because of my job so I started on my essay before the SUNY application even opened. The good news is you have plenty of time to work on it.

I don't qualify for the honors program either, but I plan to join my junior year. Are you interested in their international program?

So I just got wait listed for the Spring 2014. I applied to a one year AAS in Advertising and Marketing Communication, 1 year program... is it competitive? Please someone tell me it is, because I am in desperate need of spirit lifting right now. I graduated from a very competitive undergrad institution with pretty good grades (granted, I also got my application in very late- my last set of transcripts didn't even reach them until two weeks into November, long after everything was supposed to be submitted). I'm just hoping it's more of a reflection on my late submission/arrogance in the application process, and less about my merits. :(

So I just got wait listed for the Spring 2014. I applied to a one year AAS in Advertising and Marketing Communication, 1 year program... is it competitive? Please someone tell me it is, because I am in desperate need of spirit lifting right now. I graduated from a very competitive undergrad institution with pretty good grades (granted, I also got my application in very late- my last set of transcripts didn't even reach them until two weeks into November, long after everything was supposed to be submitted). I'm just hoping it's more of a reflection on my late submission/arrogance in the application process, and less about my merits. :(

Awww!! I'm terribly sorry to hear that! Obviously I'm not on the admissions board, but I really do think it was because your application wasn't ready until after the deadline. On that note, I'm sure you were an attractive candidate which is why they chose to wait list you instead of send a denial.

You can wait for a slot to open or register for classes as a non-degree student. I was told by admissions and registration some students chose to go that route when not accepted. The only catch is that some classes only permit a certain number of non-degree students so that may become an issue. The way around that is to talk to the professor and ask them to waive a slot over to you. I'm told this does happen, especially if you were denied and really want to pursue a degree from FIT. They see it as an opportunity to give you a chance and the processor may even speak on your behalf when you apply for the following semester.

I hope this encourages you to keep on trying and not give up hope.

How goes your application thus far? The FAFSA opened on the first of the year if you are looking for grants/loans/work-study.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->