Fashion Marketing

i've a bachelor degree of asian studies and i'm really interested in fashion marketing and industry..however, i will move to seattle after my engagement and i would like to know if there's any good fashion marketing school or program there ?! does anyone know? thanx million!

I would like to thank absolutely everyone for the help and advice given in this thread. I am currently studying for a degree in Italian and French in Glasgow but I have recently been thinking about taking a course in Fashion Merchandising or Marketing after I graduate.

i've a bachelor degree of asian studies and i'm really interested in fashion marketing and industry..however, i will move to seattle after my engagement and i would like to know if there's any good fashion marketing school or program there ?! does anyone know? thanx million!
Seattle is not a fashion city ... I don't beleive there are any really good schools there for any type of fashion. But ... marketing is marketing no matter what industry it is in ... the basics are the same. So, I'd suggest that you look into Universities that offered business degrees in marketing. It's easy to translate that to a fashion company, after you start to work in marketing.

hi.. i'm looking into good fashion marketing/fashion buying schools in europe. top choice is marangoni, but is ied good in these fields as well? thanks so much guys!

I am interested in this too, I want to go studying fashion marketing and managing to parsons from spring 2010

I am aiming my career path in the Marketing/PR/Journalism fashion area.
I am currently studying a Masters of Marketing in Melbourne - it has no specific Fashion component. I think if you want to study Fashion Marketing - you will definitely need a tertiary education from a leading university if you are aiming to get certain positions. Employers would look for 'hard' marketing subjects that give you the tools and knowledge to succeed in any industry.
For my undergraduate degree I did a Bachelor of Science and for the fashion interest element a Certificate in Fashion Business.
Combine something like this with work experience and a realistic approach to employment to begin with (i.e. sh*t kicker positions!) - you'll be well on your way to breaking into the Fashion Marketing area.

Hi everyone, I am hpoing that someone can provide me with some sage advice!

I have been working in marketing for 18 months but my undergraduate degree is in pyschology. After much thought I have decided that I really do want a career in fashion marketing, even if it is much riskier and more competitve than marketing in other idustries.

Can anyone advise me on what my next step should be if I want to attempt to move into fashion marketing?

And K-a-t-e, your post was exactly what I was hoping to find on this thread! I am living in Australia and am trying to find out if there is any way to complete a Masters in Marketing when my undergrad was in another area. Can you tell me how you did this? I do not have my honours is psych which I think may be a problem...

Thanks heaps everyone :D:flower::flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really considering doing fashion marketing (just a marketing course at Uni, but somehow linking into fashion)

Could someone who currently works in this field explain what this job entails?
And anyone who completed a marketing degree fill in the gaps and tell me what kind of things you did during your course? e.g. oral presentations, reports etc

Thanks so much! Also, how competitive is the fashion marketing side of the industry?
=)

I am really considering doing fashion marketing (just a marketing course at Uni, but somehow linking into fashion)

Could someone who currently works in this field explain what this job entails?
And anyone who completed a marketing degree fill in the gaps and tell me what kind of things you did during your course? e.g. oral presentations, reports etc

Thanks so much! Also, how competitive is the fashion marketing side of the industry?
=)

Marketing in general is highly competitive and there is 10 sales guys for every marketer, so breaking into the field is very challenging. Throw in fashion and it gets even more cut throat.

I'm a marketing under graduate just finishing my second year and I'm highly enjoying it. Marketing is all about communication and can be slit into two sections, public relations and marketing. The former is relatively easy to break into as one easily intern and network through the ranks. PR is overwhelmingly dominated by women, in fact only 5-10% of the PR people I've worked with have been men. The profession is in a nutshell, serving as the intermediary between labels and the media handling press releases, sending off samples to press and representing labels at social events. Socially PR is teriffic and involves countless of events with alcohol beverages and goodie bags.

Then there is the serious side, marketing. The common misconception is that marketing is all about brain storming ideas for fancy photo shoots but it's much more than that. Marketing is a BA course meaning that it's an academic course and shall be treated as such. Topics covered is market research, branding, consumer behaviour, advertising, marketing and communication. Most of the assessment is big coursework since that's the nature of marketing, you working on projects. Best advise is to get a marketing degree at a reputable institution and intern at a fashion label along side your studies. Sure many see an attraction in studying fashion marketing at a design institution but that can limit your learning because design schools don't necessarily have the best business/marketing tutors. On the flip side, reading for a degree at a design institution comes with perks such as contacts that might get you through the door very quickly. But in the end I think that a degree for a reputable institution is what can really take your career to high levels.

Thanks homeboy! What universities do u recommend in uk?

I've read The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Fashion Industry its brilliant! I suggest that book to everyone!

University Studies Or Career College Studies

What do you personally think is better; University Studies Or Career College Studies? Specificially for Fashion related subjects.

There are a few places that offer Fashion Marketing for me in Vancouver but they are Career Colleges, like The Art Institute. (There is also VCAD)

But don't places for hire like seeing that someone has earned a degree, instead of a diploma?

What is your opininon?

Really interested in this thread! I love it... I have my business degree which included marketing, accounting, HR, economics, etc... Would I need to get my MBA in marketing just to do something or could I get my foot in the door with just a business degree?

Does anyone know of any good colleges in California for fashion marketing?

Really interested in this thread! I love it... I have my business degree which included marketing, accounting, HR, economics, etc... Would I need to get my MBA in marketing just to do something or could I get my foot in the door with just a business degree?

Does anyone know of any good colleges in California for fashion marketing?

All I can think of is FIDM

interesting thread....when i was transferring majors 3 yrs ago I was in between Marketing or Fashion Marketing. I decided Marketing just to have a general base. I'm taking Fashion Design classes on the side and i hope to do an AA in Parsons online.

what are good places to study fashion marketing in NYC? I'm interested in master program and I need to know all the possibilities

If you spend some time reading this thread (and some of the other threads about business degrees & working in fashion) , you will discover that "fashion" marketing is not that specialized ... you can study marketing in any good school and then parlay it into fashion, after the fact. Marketing is marketing .... the basics are all the same ... only the poduct differs from company to company. But ... if you study marketing at a non fashion college /uni ... it would be a good idea to try to intern in a fashion company ... in their marketing dept., so you can start to build contacts in the industry. In fashion, it's more about who you know who can help get you in than it is about anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading for a certified degree is the easy bit, it's getting your foot through the door which is the great challenge. Scoring a job at the marketing department of prestigious brand such as Porsche, Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Rolex is incredibly hard. It's an exclusive bubble where by entry is granted by people already on the inside. The places are few and the number of dreams are high. PR is a little bit easier, especially if you are pretty lady but breaking into marketing is only done by flattering the right people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->