Fashion Photography Books - Recommendations

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
since we have so many people who are just becoming interested in fashion photography and some others who are already very passionate about it...i thought it would be nice to share the titles and covers of some of our favourite books published by or about our favourite fashion photographers or fashion photography in general... ^_^

**please post the titles and pictures of covers if possible...
and any info or questions about it that you might have...:flower:

thanks...
can't wait to see what all you fabulous fashion spotters recommend...:heart:

"photographs" by hiro... i dont actually own it, but ive seen many times and ive been completely blown away. great use of color, imaginative, modernist and very graphic... and i gues anything by helmut newton and richard avedon :heart:

Maybe we can post here sites dedicated to fashion photography or that have tips for it :wink:

^^..maybe you should start another thread for that...:wink:... :flower:

i like these:
1903399483.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

published by steidl and edited by lisa lovatt-smith... i own n°1 and n°3....
i guess they are all good.

also
fantastic:

thm_fashionfaces_1.jpg

with work by

Miles Aldridge
Regan Cameron
Liz Collins
Warren du Preez
David Lachapelle
Rankin
Sam Taylor Wood
Terry Richardson
Mark Mattock
Nathaniel Goldberg

Richard Avedon
Eve Arnold
Patrick Demarchelier
Nan Goldin
Peter Lindbergh
Steven Meisel
Paolo Roversi
JeanLoup Sieff
Mario Testino
Ellen Von Unwerth

smile i-D: fashion and style: the best from twenty years of i-D.

edited by terry jones published by taschen
jones01.jpg

Imperfect Beauty: The Making of Contemporary Fashion Photographs
Charlotte Cotton

Unseen "Vogue": The Secret History of Fashion Photography
Robin Derrick, Robin Muir

Mario Testino Portraits
Mario Testino, Patrick Kinmonth (Editor)

The Impossible Image
Mark Sanders (Editor)

10 Women
~Peter Lindbergh (Photographer), Karl Lagerfeld (Preface)

Visionaire 2001
Stephen Gan, Alix Browne

What Is Beauty?
~Bruce Weber (Foreword), Dorothy Schefer

softgrey said:
arksiel...that book seems more appropriate in this thread...:flower:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8013&page=2

this thread is about the PHOTOGRAPHERS...

that one is about the DESIGNERS and COLLECTIONS...

:wink:

I just noticed this, as I haven't been to this thread for a bit. you must have posted just before I deleted my post for the same reason - realized I hadnt read properly (was tired)
:lol: I was too lazy to re-post it in the thread I found which it would suit, silly me.

"Berlin" by Hedi Slimane (Edition 7L)

"Stage" by Hedi Slimane (Edition 7L)

"Grace,Thirty years of fashion at Vogue" by Grace Coddington (?!) (Edition 7l)

"Louis XV" by Jurgen Teller (Steidl)

"Evelyn Hofer" by Evelyn Hofer (Steidl)

thanks guys...
really interested to have a look at the grace coddington book...
there must be some great 'classics' in there...

:flower:

These are my personal favourites:
====================

Helmut Newton: Work

Fashion:Theory - this has some Chris von Wangenheim w Gia. Gorgeous. Some stories about the way the photographers worked etc.

Art of Vogue photographic covers (up till mid 80s:( Some beyond gorgeous covers from all Vogue editions - American, English, Brazilian what have you.

softgrey said:
thanks guys...
really interested to have a look at the grace coddington book...
there must be some great 'classics' in there...

:flower:

You can read more about the contributors of the 'Grace' book here. My favourite picture from it is a beach shot. There's a girl in a red bikini surrounded by guys in bathing suits clapping and cheering her on.

To stay on topic, more books:

"Backstage" by Gauthier Gallet. (Steidl) The cover has a photo of Pierre Berge, Bernard Arnault, his daughter Delhpine Arnault, and Karl Lagerfeld front and center at some show.

"Hotel Lachapelle" by David LaChapelle. (Bulfinch)

"Herb Ritts" by Herb Ritts. (Thames & Hudson) The cover has Alex Wek's infamous december Pirelli calendar pose.

"Terrworld" by Terry Richardson. (Taschen)

"Patrick Demarchelier:Forms" by Patrick Demarchelier. (Rizzoli)

4 Inches Book on Fashion/Celebrity photography

You may have read about this in the press this morning.

1902686519.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dressed in nothing but Jimmy Choo spikes and a piece of Cartier jewellery, a constellation of beautiful, successful and empowering women bare all in this long-awaited book Four Inches. The size of the heels they wear, Four Inches features Christina Aguilera, Rachel Hunter, Lara Flynn-Boyle, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Jodie Kidd, Victoria Beckham, Kate Moss, Macy Gray, Geri Halliwell, Serena Williams, Minnie and Kate Driver, Elle MacPherson, Tamara Mellon, Sophie Dahl, Anne Heche, Mimi Rogers, Pamela Anderson, Yasmin Le Bon, Sarah Ferguson and many more. All the pictures are taken by women too, in fact some of the world's best female photographers including Mary McCartney, Pamela Hanson, Sam Taylor-Wood and Ellen von Unwerth. A collaboration between Jimmy Choo and Cartier, Four Inches is a book for women, about women and by women. 10% of the proceeds from this book will go to the Elton John AIDS Foundation who will make sure that it gets to women and girls in Africa who are infected with HIV/AIDS. JIMMY CHOO Launched in 1996 by Tamara Mellon, Jimmy Choo, the makers of glamorous shoes, handbags and accessories favoured by female stars and elegant women, now has over 20 stores worldwide. The idea for this book came from Tamara Mellon who wanted to be able to use her company to help ease the suffering of women and children in Africa. CARTIER Founded in 1847 by Louis-Francois Cartier, the famous French watchmakers and jewellers agreed to sponsor this project after being approached by Jimmy Choo. They also provided all the jewellery that appears in the book. ELTON JOHN AIDS FOUNDATION Established in 1992 by Elton John, the Foundation is primarily concerned with increasing awareness, providing funding for educational programs and eliminating prejudice against HIV/AIDS infected individuals. Their work is worldwide.

To you? £40.

Well, it is all for charadee.

--------------------

"saigo ni mita fuukei" ("the final scenery") by izima kaoru. i think its the second collection...a series of photographs of famous women who, enact out their own death scene... includes japanese actress kyoko hasegawa, supermodel ai tominaga, singe UA and mika nakashima, etc...

i LOVE this book...feminists would have a heyday (hasegawa laying in a pile of trash in a gazillion dollar YSL fur coat) but i made copies and put my favorites on the wall. the colors and photography is beautiful :heart: it was recently reviewed in a UK mag so i think it might be available there now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armanmkhitaryan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->