Fashion School for People Who Have finished a Four Year University

tykeboy

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So this is my first post I've ever posted on tfs. I've been a long time lurker of the wonderful forums. I thought I would ask this community to give me some advice

So I really want to go into fashion design and dream of start my own business. I'm currently a third year at a "regular" university studying business-economics and communications. I've started researching fashion schools and their programs and am really lost as to what type of program I should look into. Ideally, I don't want to spend another four years in school but all I seem to find from most of the top design schools are four year programs. The only school I can think of so far that has a one year program for people like me is FIDM, but I really want to get out of LA. Any help or advice would be great! :D

There is a reason why "the top design schools are four year programs". In my opinion, it takes that much time to learn about all the background and information you'll need to know and you will need to develop your skills with guidance from knowlegeable instructors. You will have to learn how to draw, to sew, to drape fabric, source, and will put together a comprhensive portfolio (you will probably work for someone else before you become a desinger of your own line), and a jillion other things and to be able to do it very well. It take time and practice to get good at these things. One year will not prepare you for becoming a skilled designer, even if you have talent.

And think of all the thousands of other aspiring designers who have earned a four year degeree in fashion design each year ... you will be in direct competition with them. It's very competitive, so you must have the best foundation possible. So, if you decide to do it ... do it right so you give yourself a decent chance to succeed.

In the meantime, do consider entreprenurial studies at your university, if they offer it ... you will definitely need that background if you intend to open your own business sometime in the future, whether it be fashion or not. And see if you can fit some Art History and Illustration or drawing in there too ... it will serve you well in fashion school.

Hello Bette- do you think this is also true for people looking to get into the behind the scenes/business end of things? I definitely see your point on the design end, where you need to practice very specific techniques and skills. I have an undergrad degree in accounting, but want to try buying/merchandising. Do you think a one year degree in this case is enough to build industry knowledge, and more importantly, network into a job? (I'm looking at the Parsons AAS in Fashion Marketing.) Thanks for your feedback!

You are correct in thinking that preparing for a career in merchandising and/or buying would be different from what you need to do to become a fashion designer. Although, if your goal is to own your own business as a designer, you will need to have that under your belt too ... at least have a basic unserstanding of how it works.

I see that you have already posted in this thread: Becoming a Buyer? There's also a thread about merchandising: Fashion Merchandising ... Read the entire threads and you'll get some insight there.

I think that you could probably get into either with just an accounting degree alone ... since they are both really accounting and forcasting jobs. But getting a year focused on fashion in addtion to your accounting should put you ahead of some of the competition, IMO. But then ... I don't work in those fields ... so read those threads for more information about your specifics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, I know this is a very specific thread, but it seemed like maybe the topic was the most relevant to my question. Let me apologize ahead of time for the length of this post. If you get through it and still have energy to respond , thank you, thank you, thank you!:heart:

Here is my situation/story:
I graduated with a BA from a well known liberal arts college in 2002. I concentrated in costume design, and after I graduated I was able to support myself doing a combination of design, construction, and wardrobe work in NYC.
In 2005 I had some serious health problems, decided that theater was stressing me out too much, and thought I should "take a break". I took this "break" by getting a MS in Environmental studies(I was interested in the whole "green" sustainable movement). I graduated in 2007 with my M.S. and instead of going back to costume design, I took a job teaching elementary science and art. I also teach an intensive costume/garment design and construction studio class to high school students during the summer.

So here I am with a BA and a MS but not doing what I think would be ideal for me. I would like to enroll in a program that would help me refine my construction skills as well as strengthen my art/fashion history knowledge. I've been considering one of the AAS programs in fashion design at FIT or Parsons(I'm in the NYC/metro area). Does this make sense? My ultimate goal is to work in in fashion design as part of a design team, but I really love making/refining/developing patterns and would be delighted to be able to do it full time. I am also interested in promoting/developing sustainable textiles and construction practices.
Finally, do programs such as the AAS programs at FIT and Parsons help students network? I'm starting to feel like I'm amassing a lot of knowledge that I'll never be able to use if I don't start networking:rolleyes:.

Oh, I meant to add that if I posted this in the wrong place, could a Mod please move it for me?:heart:

Ah ... you have questions that about specific schools so to ask about specific programs at the 2 schools go to these threads:

Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), New York
Parsons School of Fashion, New York

Related to your other comments ... and doing a search for topics about your interests, I found these somewhat related threads:
All About Pattern Makers (& Pattern Cutters)
Design question: draping vs construction
Textile Design ... Schools
can you handle it? being a fashion designer *wwd article
Design Teams

Let me know if this helps.

Also ... learn to search here ... make sure you mark it to search thread titles or you will get too much. You will be amazed by all the things we have covered already.

Thank you BetteT!:heart:

Yes, I guess I do have specific questions about those 2 programs. . .I'm going to contact their admissions departments for advice anyway.

I did some searches and I think I ended up skimming through most of those design/patterning threads. I guess I decided to post here because after doing some research I was surprised to find that there are not a lot of graduate programs(ending with an MFA for example) in fashion design. I was hoping that I was just missing something but it looks like its the case here in the US at least. I've a bit disappointed with this finding, but I guess it is what it is.

Thank you again, and I'll post my Q's in the FIT and Parsons threads:flower:

oh you were hoping to do a Masters?
i thought that was possible after getting a Bachelors..
in Royal College of Art (London) they also waive the BA requirement if you have been in the industry working for some time,
that you did a BA in a different subject wouldn't matter

^IDK Gius, I can't seem to find a masters program that is just fashion design. It seems like they are mostly focused on things like textile design and fashion history(museum curation etc.). I guess most schools assume that if you are going into design you do it when you are 19? Lol, makes me feel old.

ESMOD Paris offers a one year program for degree holders. It's taught in French.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->