Fashion Stylists - Share Your Work, Give & Get Feedback

thanks lena...:lol:...
i figure we had to start doing more of this if we expect others to...:wink:

maybe you will be inspired now...??...:heart:

tristan...that's a cool shot...great test!!...good for you...

softgrey, congrats!! really cool job its nice to see finally some of your work post.....its a very nice editorial i think i love the industrrial mood in it but at the same time kinda nostalgic.....keep posting!

to nueva:when we are gonna see your work???

Tristan,nice test!!!

wow softgrey..your work is great! it's nice to finally see some of it
i have heard so much about it! i really like it :smile:

thank you xone and francesca...:flower:

This thread is so interesting to me!! I feel like I'm on the insider's track :smile: Nice work, everyone!

And, Soft, I can definitely see you in your pieces! All the way down to the red shoes!!

softgrey said:
droogist...it was shot in and around an old warehouse building in the outskirts of williamsburg...(kind of a sketchy area)...my ex was supposed to move in once they converted it...but they kept failing inspections...so he never did...check out the 'intercom' system in the first pic...a bunch of people were sort of living there iillegally and they hooked up some buzzers...HA!...i loved that..!!...

Smart people! NYC rent make me want cry every 1st of the month :cry:
hehehe...
again, its great softgrey :flower:

tristan said:
Hey I got called in to do a test with a model the other day, and I was kinda stoked about this image. The model is Mark Mccadam (totally hot!) with Stylus in Toronto and Vision in New York.

There's a series of these pictures, but I don't have a scanner and that's the only one i have on my computer. Plus, I'm kinda shy about posting my work too :blush:

I love! :smile:

Try getting the other pics scanned, I'd like to see.

What do you think about the work there is in TO?

Umm i don't like it that much. I love the city, and the people I work with, but like the work sucks your soul away!!! It's always like, "ummm thats too edgey, more commercial".

softgrey said:
no...i styled them marrimoda...:flower:
but i basically directed the team...it was my story idea because i had just come back from antwerp, so i directed the shoot...that is sometimes how it works...

i think most people don't realize that the stylist/editor usually does much more than just pick the clothes...:wink:..(no respect, i tell ya!!...^_^..)....
i came up with the idea...(this is the most important part!!!)...i picked the clothes, the girl, the location, directed the hair and make up...and then helped the photographer frame the shots...
you should have seen me on that chair trying to show the model how to pose...:lol:...that was pretty funny...she's much better at it than i am...!!

thanks very much for the compliments marrimoda and anna...:heart:
you've both said such thoughtful things...

faust-you're a little trouble maker... :hardhead: ..:lol:...but thank you sir...

***i'm going to make a lookbook thread in the photographers forum for fashion photographers to share some of their work...or if anyone wants to start one...that's fine...
***edit-did this!...

Oh I understand now...in your earlier post (with the fotos) you said you had to photograph them -- you mean you photo'd them to upload in the absence of a scanner. I thought you meant that you styled the editorial --and had to photograph it too. Thanks for clarifying for me...because i thought sheez, she had to shoot it too on top of everything else.

Cool work...requires a big picture vision in your head in a way that is not easy when done right.

Softgrey - they are beautiful photos. I too like the one in front of the window but may I be controversial and say that I think they look rather romantic (maybe you are a romantic). The one in the window also has a pre-raphaelite look about it. I think they have a real belgian look - the hard/soft thing that seems to be so present with them. They look very much like something Dries might use (if he ever advertised).

Thankyou for sharing these with us!

tristan...
unfortunately...it's like that everywhere...except at the mags where you work for free...ie-surface...and i've even had work rejected by them....:rolleyes:
or else-the final insult-it's not 'edgy' enough!!...:o...:doh:

:lol:..marrimoda...your post made me laugh...i can see how my post confused you!!...sorry about that!...you explained it pretty well...you seem to really understand about the idea of the big picture...that's is very much what it's like...at least for me...i can see all these pictures in my head and i am obsessed and driven to get them out and on paper...it feels a little like being crazy...:ninja:...it's all-consuming...that's why i stay up late so often...that's usually when i get my best ideas...a lot of my ideas actually come from listening to music...but travel is good too...
i am never satisfied...it's never good enough...because in my head-paolo roversi shot it...or matt and mercus...or avedon...or penn...or nick knight or craig mcdean...etc...and of course, that's not who i am actually working with...and probably never will...i have to accept that...which sucks!!...so i just do my best...

if i had one of those guys shooting...believe me...the story ideas would be much more complex an developed...i have to always try to push it but keep it where it's not out of the reach of the people working on it...for example...if the girl is young or new...she will not move as well and may not understand the emotions or subtext-so i have to keep it really simple...when you have a strong team...you can take it that much further...

helena...thank you ...yes...of course i am a romantic :blush:...i'm a big old SOFTIE!!...LOL...if i wasn't,would i be doing this ridiculous job??!! :rolleyes:...i live in fantasyland...nothing is real...not the pictures, not the people, not even the hair,the boobs or the eyelashes...^_^...you have to be a bit of a dreamer to embark on a journey like this one...sometimes it's dreamy and at times it can be a nightmare...you've got to be willing to go for that ride on the rollercoaster...which is NEVERENDING!!!....sometimes you get dizzy and even nauseous....but you always get that rush of excitement for those few moments when you're at the top....you just have to hang on tight on the way back down....woooooooo!!!!.....:lol:..and then slowly chug your way back up to the top again...

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!....:woot:

The sad thing is Softie, deep down in my heart I knew that!!! I'm just delusional and hope that there's more to life than jeans and a tee. But I think you'd die here as a stylist!! There's seriously no editorial work. Period. (well like a few here and there, and then a few niche mags). That story was cool by the way.

tristan...i may die HERE as a stylist...:lol:...:rolleyes:
all of my best work goes unpublished...and the competition is insane...:ninja:

thanks for the compliment...that was one of the few stories where i really liked the way it was published...sometimes i hate the shots that the photographers pick if i don't get to edit the film with them...or else the magazine picks the shots...then i usually ask the photographers to make me some prints for my book of the shots that i like best...so i have a bunch of prints mixed in with tears in my book...

but no one ever even looks at my book...it seems like it's just about who you know...
it's crazy...:wacko:...

I know Softie, I know how you feel. I hate that feeling when you put in soo much effort into making a look and dealing with the stress of the models, and the makeup, and directing the photographer, and doing the returns, and thennnnnnnn not getting it published! I love the reasoning behind it sometimes too. It always "too strong, too white, too commercial, too edgy, too controvercial, too rich, too downmarket, too couture" like omigod, just tell me what you want when we talk in the first place instead of saying "I trust your judgement, but we have to see it first".

^ That was your avatar awhile ago, was it not? Or am I loopy?

thanks tiffany...:kiss:

tinuviel...
you may be loopy..i don't know...:lol:
but it WAS onthe homepage for a bit in december and january as our tFS new year's card...
:wink:...

softgrey said:
it WAS onthe homepage for a bit in december and january as our tFS new year's card...
:wink:...

i remember that... :heart:

ok...
so my friend went to some industry even that i dressed her for...
i didn't know where to post the pictures...so i'm just putting them here...
^_^

it was an awards dinner...nothing black tie or anything...:wink:
getting the balance right was the trick...not too dressy, not too casual...

she wore a comme des garcons dress from 1998
veronique branquinho shoes
a dries van noten jacket with black stripes
her chanel bag with the straps shortened
wood bead necklace...can't remember for the life of me who makes this
an abstract flower pin with a cameo in the middle pinned to the necklace...by yochi

here are a bunch of pictures of the outfit as she was getting ready...
and swearing she was going to kill me...:lol:...

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 73
details...click for larger images...

here you can see the dress...and the accessories
it has several layers...
all ivory and sheer except the top one which is black and shiny...

similary...
several thin ivory straps and one black one...
it is shaped, but not 'fitted' and all the edges are raw....
(very alber elbaz for lanvin really)

the back only has a zip on the bottom layer...
so all the other layers are exposed and you see the lovely layers of ivory...

the shoes are just hot!! :woot:

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator: