Fashion Tragedies / Damage Control

The destroyed/repaired polo was designed that way... I don't like "crisp" polos so it is my protest statement :rolleyes:

Now, for my real fashion tragedies:

*caught a brand-new, very-cool, birthday-gift-from-girlfriend shirt on the handle of a sliding door and ripped it, maybe the second time I ever wore it.

*my cat in his youth liked to leap suddenly from the ground to my shoulders, digging in his claws on landing. Ruined not one but two very nice leather jackets. On other occasions, left some nice scars on my shoulders and back, but that's another thread...

I'm sure there have been others but those are all I can think of right now.

Yay Soft!! Good to have some happy stories in here too. I'll be coming to YOU if I have a red wine spill :P

Here's another happy ending -

These pants used to fall about 4 inches above the ankle. One day they appeared with a mysterious black glob at the hem :unsure: My sweetie boyfriend tried to remove it... but with dishwashing liquid :huh: Anyway, we came to find out it contains bleach. So now the pants had the black glob surrounded by a white ring :lol: Saved by making them shorter cropped pants :woot:

http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08092005fulllength8sb.jpg

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 4
I lost a unique silver ring my aunt had made herself :(

:lol: I see our lovely pets will making lots of entries in here... Anyone else notice they only go for the good stuff??

Never ever have any of my cats destroyed a crappy $10 bag I don't care about :rolleyes: Only the good stuff. Little devils :evil: But oh so cute :angel:

tangerine said:
The destroyed/repaired polo was designed that way... I don't like "crisp" polos so it is my protest statement :rolleyes:

Now, for my real fashion tragedies:

*caught a brand-new, very-cool, birthday-gift-from-girlfriend shirt on the handle of a sliding door and ripped it, maybe the second time I ever wore it.

*my cat in his youth liked to leap suddenly from the ground to my shoulders, digging in his claws on landing. Ruined not one but two very nice leather jackets. On other occasions, left some nice scars on my shoulders and back, but that's another thread...

I'm sure there have been others but those are all I can think of right now.

Eeeeek!! Now you have really hit on the worst ... when it's a gift from someone else & something happens, especially early on ... yikes. :(

Btw, Curious, I had many bleach "incidents" back in the day as a result of my mother's laundry "skills." Two ways to cope ... 1) Never use the bleach dispenser, I am convinced that many of them don't work correctly and "dispense" at inopportune times, causing fashion tragedies ... and 2) Banish bleach from your house. It's nasty toxic stuff anyway ... I use "green" bleach instead (made from hydrogen peroxide).

softgrey said:
spilled wax from a candle all over a blk jean paul knott skirt first time out....:doh:...
did the cool iron with newspaper trick though...and saved that one too!!...

yay!...

I did a similar thing with a black casmere sweather, a huge wax stain... An iron, a lot of paper and patience saved it! Even when all seems lost, there might be ways to save stuff! :woot:

Oh, the ring story reminds me of another tragedy :P

So I had this yellow gold monogrammed ring that had belonged to my grandfather as a child, wore it as a pinky ring. He must have worn it for years, it had a really beautiful patina and was thin at the back. So thin that apparently it broke and fell off one day without my noticing ... I should've had it reinforced (fashion regret :doh:).

Dizzydi said:
I lost a unique silver ring my aunt had made herself :(

Oh that reminds me, I lost my purple Skylab t-shirt (Skylab being surrounded by police TAC squad, a 1979 San Francisco joke combining the fall of Skylab and the riots following the lenient sentencing of Dan White for the assassinations of George Moscone and Harvey Milk.) I don't even know where/how I lost it but I have never gotten over it. It was a very cool tee shirt even without knowing the backstory.

Hmm.. might go for option 2, Ta-ta. What is "green" bleach? Is it easily accessible?

What's weird is we've never used bleach in the wash... and everything else was fine in the same load :huh: Even weirder. I think it may have come in contact with a bleachy cleaning towel before going in... Grrr.

I've also had the same thing happen to several tops I didn't care about, but I thought the culprit in those cases was a sulfur mask I was using, but that's not the case for this incident. Has anyone else experienced loss of color in clothing from sulfur? I had never heard of that...

Oh... and speaking of rings... I lost my sister's high school graduation ring :ninja::cry:

Curious said:
Hmm.. might go for option 2, Ta-ta. What is "green" bleach? Is it easily accessible?

By "green," I just mean earth-friendly ... I can get it locally with no problem, Whole Foods and Central Market both carry it here ... I believe you can also get it from Harmony at gaiam.com ... Seventh Generation is the manufacturer of the stuff I use.

I tried to put my Chanel sunglasses on my head and missed somehow (this defies any explanation, how one can miss one's own head I don't really understand) and I dropped them on a stone floor a week after buying them. They got ridiculously scratched. Fortunately, I got them fixed that day, and they're fine now, but the price was hefty ..

Aaahh... I see Ta-ta. Thanks :flower: I'll look into it!

Oh no... the sunglasses :lol: This could go on forever I'm sure! Well, I lost a pair in the ocean. Forgot they were on top of my head :blush: No way I'm getting those back :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of my tops on and stuck a sheet of plastic wood effect laminate over the top (don't ask, I was bored and in the house alone :ninja: ) and started cutting a neckline into it...and ended up cutting into my top...one i've had for a while but only dug out again recently in my black and white stage, it's like a jersey type material so it's gunna be hard to fix...but i can try :(

Once I found THE jacket .. twas made of this plastic-y material and looked very courreges .. it cud have been ..I found it on a thrift shop and the label fell off ... it had this lovely chocolaty color ... I waited a long time to wear it ... went to this casual costarican jet-setty party and my friend accidentally burned it with a cigarrete right on the sleeve .. it looks like someone stuck some balck gum all over it ... my friend feels awful and I know she was tipsy but well ... this isnt the first time I've got clothes ruined by cigarrette burns ... I've got one tee that I'm seriously thinking to wear cuz it looks kinda cool ... but most clothes are just gone ... or sitting on my closet with nothing to do ... boo-hooo!

I remember this kewl denim jacket I bought .. I left it on the bus someday ....

Oh ... and like 90% of everything its missing or damaged on my wardrobe its because my brothers wore it without my permission ... there are pieces of clothing that just dissappear with no explanation

I seriously can't recall anything major happening to my clothes..... I'll have to think about this.....

But this is a great thread, enjoy reading all your tragedies! :P

Damage Control...

moth got your sweater...?
bleach on your black pants...?
stain that just won't go away...?

Here is the place to get advice from other members about how to save your beloved items which have met somee unfortunate fate or to share solutions you have found!!...

ok....i will start...
very drunk girl (friend of a friend) practically knocked over entire table at restaurant getting up to go to the bathroom...
spilling drinks everywhere and knocking over a candle which burned a hole in my lovely grey TSE cashmere scarf!!!...:doh:
:angry:

here is the scarf...
i was thinking about putting some pom poms on the end of the scarf to 'save' it...

o soft ! :o
maybe you could just continue burning more holes in it . . :P
til it looks delicate + fragile . . .
there's this skirt in topshop right now . .
white linen w/a burnt hem :heart:

+ these threads abt tragedies make me sad . . :cry:
i still havn't gotten over my black cardi tht i shrunk . . .!
my new replacement just doesn't match up . . . :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
something like this maybe...
maybe just two poms...^_^

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1
Curious said:
:doh: That sucks!

I can't see the scarf though... did you post it?

Also, can this be merged with Fashion Tragedies or are you think of them as different topics?

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/personal-style/33478-fashion-tragedies.html?highlight=fashion+tragedies

**seems different enough to me if we are talking about finding solutions here...
whatever you guys think...
i mean...
technically it could all just get dumped into customisations...
buti am really not liking the monster threads that are impossible to dig through...
and it seems that other people don't either as hardly anyone responds or posts in them...
smaller and more specific threads just seem more 'user friendly' for the community as a whole...

my 2 cents...:wink: :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->