Fashion's Troubled Times

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by metal-on-metal, Mar 11, 2004.

1. metal-on-metal

Very interesting article!

2. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

great article, thanks for posting chickonspeed

i especially loved the re-quoted bits here :evil: :evil:

3. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

Thank you for posting this :flower: I agreed with their assessment of the fashion industry:

4. faust

faust New Member

I wish people would stop blaming 9/11 for EVERYTHING

5. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

i agree, still, these tragic events did change the way we live and style ourselves,
    there's been a huge psychological impact both in global spending, conciousness and taste

6. faust

faust New Member

i agree, still, these tragic events did change the way we live and style ourselves,
    there's been a huge psychological impact both in global spending, conciousness and taste [/b][/quote]
    I don't know, I would attribute it to the general economic downturn which started at least a year before 9/11 (granted that 9/11 contributed to it). It's just become such an easy thing to throw around, 9/11 responsible for this, 9/11 responsible for that. Anyway, did not mean to get off topic :flower:

7. nqth

nqth arndom

Greate article, thanks for posting:)

So money has not just "killed" the avant-garde, it dethrones the stars too.

8. faust

faust New Member

stars to us, employees to the shareholders

9. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

Not one American buyer? What about:

1. "FULL GALLOP: Neiman Marcus executives were out in force at the Hermès show Saturday and for good reason: They’re revved up about Jean Paul Gaultier’s arrival as designer of women’s ready-to-wear. The plan is to add five new Hermés shop locations in the U.S. over the next three years. “We’re very excited about it,” said Karen Katz, president and chief executive officer of Neiman Marcus Stores. “We’re one of their exclusive partners.” Neiman’s already has one Hermès shop in Troy, Mich. The new locations are slated for Short Hills, N.J., White Plains, N.Y., Boca Raton, Fla., San Antonio, Tex., and Washington, D.C." (WWD article)

2. "Kal Ruttenstein, senior vice president of fashion direction at Bloomingdale’s, said Paris is always inspiring. “My favorite collection of all the collections this season was Jean Paul Gaultier for Hermès. It was stylish, sexy and charming, but it was really all about class. (WWD article)

I find fashiononlines.com's Christine Suppes (editor-in-chief) to have her own agenda and it's in every article on that site.

10. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

that's a very informative article...thanks for posting..it confirmed a lot of what has been talked about here on the spot...

thanks for posting chick :flower:

faust...i don't think it's possible to blame any one thing for all of our woes...but there is no doubt that the state of the world affects these matters...for example...bombing in spain...it's the uncertainty and insecurity that it fosters which is the real problem, which in turn causes economic stress...i don't think you can discount this and and don't see any reason to pretend that 9/11 is not a very real, lingering issue... i'm actually quite tired of hearing people saying that the economy is turning around, when in fact, this is only being accomplished by huge layoffs and cutbacks...

i, for one, can't really think of another reason for all of the hesitation on the buyers' part besides insecurity about the marketplace brought on by the unstability in the world...which really began on sept. 11 and lingers on... :shock:

11. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Its ironic that the established are suffering while it seems the indies are prevailing this season. In fact,its seems the other way around for once. From a general perspective,independents from NY to Paris seemed to have had a strong grip on reality. Whilst the majority of the established were living it up with their big egos,their creations have not. Not to mention all this media sympathy for Ford hasn't helped direction much.

12. metal-on-metal

Or it could also be that WWD is in the pocket of Conde Nast and feels the need to be a fashion 'cheerleader.' If fashion is in trouble then WWD won't hesitate to report any favorable news.

13. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

As they put for us to read between the lines, of 'not one American buyer' and 'Companies with a name are more inclined to safely market the label', they must have forgotten that even if exaggeration was the key to life, we have changed the locks.

September 11th may have made the designers more cautious about the market, but when you see people shopping on a Saturday afternoon do you really think they are wondering will they get good value from their pricey purchases, or will they be targeted by terrorists before they get a chance? Maybe that's what freelancers see in Paris, but I don't see it here.

14. softgrey

Or it could also be that WWD is in the pocket of Conde Nast and feels the need to be a fashion 'cheerleader.' If fashion is in trouble then WWD won't hesitate to report any favorable news. [/b][/quote]
    that's true, unfortunately...the best article i've seen on the state of the industry came from a business journal, because they are just reporting on the numbers...they have no other agenda...it's good to read as many sources as possible to get an accurate overview...that's why i love tfs!! :p

15. softgrey

well, i do...not that they are afraid of being bombed, but that they have lost their jobs due to cutbacks, or are afraid of losing them, so they have curtailed their spending iin case of emergency...which is directly related to the first issue... :flower:

16. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

Or it could also be that WWD is in the pocket of Conde Nast and feels the need to be a fashion 'cheerleader.' If fashion is in trouble then WWD won't hesitate to report any favorable news. [/b][/quote]
    :lol: so true, so very true ;)

17. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

I understand that, more saving for a rainy day than before et all. But, I don't think that peoples taste has become more conservative as a result, meaning if they are going to their spend money, they don't necessarily want to spend it on what the designer made while playing it safe as a tactic of survival.

18. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

showing off and looking like being dressed
    for a non-stop-glam-partyyyyy all the time
    is just not the case following sept 11.

the world is a differend place (emotionally)
    and this is reflected by the rise of more conservative,
    'safe' 'comfort' styles that create a 'low profile' mood.

19. kit

kit New Member

How poignant your comment is , Strawberry Daiquiri :heart:

at the very moment I have heard on the BBC television news that Al Qaeda is at the root of the Madrid bombings .

Irony indeed .

KIT

20. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

very intresting. I think its time for mainstream to move over, or at elast the main stream ideas in fashion.