Fashionspeak

ignitioned32

Mannikin
Reaction score
From Australian Vogue's September Issue, which featured an Insider's Guide in fashion.

I know most of the terms, but some I needed help in pronounciation. So here goes.

Behnaz Sarafpour
be-NAHZ saraf-POUR

Bvlgari
bull-gAHri

Donna Karan
donna KA-ren

Haute Couture
AWt co-TURE

Lancome
long-com

Loewe
lo-AY-vay

Louis Vuitton
loo-ee vwee-ton

Nicolas Ghesquiere
nicolas guess-key-air

Proenza Schouler
pro-EN-za SKOOL-er

Ralph Lauren
ralph lorren

Rochas
ro-SHAR

Shiseido
she-say-doe

Shu Uemura
shoo oo-eh-mu-ra

Yves Saint Laurent
eve san le-ron

I was just thinking that! I've been known to pronounce things wrong but even on fashion file and other such shows I'm sure he pronounced it ro-kas, or something similar.

I've always pronounced Rochas as 'ro-shar' because that's how it is in French... ch = a more of a shhh sound?
I still have problems with, Shu Uemura, "shoo oo-eh-mu-ra" :blush:

I always thought "ro-hahs" with the "hahs" not very drawn out and a crisp 's' at the end.

I can speak french usually but i would never have thought of it as ro-shar. probably not as good as i think :blush:

because i can't edit, i was talking to my mum about this because she's more fluent at french (and it was bothering me) and then she said "ro-sha" and then it made more sense because if it is a french word you would say ro-sha with just a hint of an r at the end. However I've never pronounced it this way. Is Rochas a french label?

My bf speaks fluent French and pronounces it the same way, Megh. I think you and your mother are right. :wink:

To answer your question - Marcel Rochas was know for his Parisian Couture between 1925 to 1955, I think.

Originally posted by JackAndTrack@Aug 23rd, 2003 - 9:42 pm
i never knew that about Lancome, i thought it was lan-comb lol
me too!

thanks for the info astrid. i think i might look up some history. I think the Lancome depends on the accent you give it? A more anglacized way of saying it would be lan-comb? these are my random thoughts :flower:

always wondered...how do you pronounce that one designer's last name Alexander Dell'Aqua...or something like that, sorry i dont feel like looking up the spelling, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->