Fur : Real v. Faux... Fashion's Hairiest Debate

HeatherAnne

Reaction score
Faux v fur — fashion’s hairiest debate

More and more brands are rejecting real fur, but is the alternative any more ethical?

By Charlie Porter

https://www.ft.com/content/ebf1a9c6-f096-11e7-bb7d-c3edfe974e9f

ft.com
It's a copyright violation to post the article, but it's definitely worth following the link and reading, as it discusses the costs of faux fur on the environment.

I personally don't see the need for either.

^When I click on the link it takes me to a subscription page. I can access it from a google search though.

Thanks for starting the thread, HeatherAnne! I read the article two days ago and the part that interested me the most was the fact that Gucci is looking to develop faux fur made of biogradable fabric. Until that happens, I'm with you, there's no need for fur, real or synthetic.

Here's another article ... by Mark Oaten, CEO of the International Fur Trade Federation in Huffington Post so it has to biased ... but nor more biased than PETA ... and it puts forth a good point: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mark-oaten/faux-fur-is-more-than-a-f_b_11294686.html
A real fur coat can last for 30 years and with a bit of clever restyling need never go out of fashion. Plus it offers extraordinary comfort and warmth. Fakes on the other hand are 'disposable fashion' and hang around in most wardrobes for no more than five years or so, if they're lucky.

So while the fake furs sit on landfills alongside plastic rubbish bags poisoning the world, natural fur either stays in the coat closet (perhaps being updated by a furrier from time to time - and what fake fur can claim to receive that sort of attention?) or quietly biodegrades.

Kill animals or kill the environment? Seems like fur (real or faux) is pretty harmful and unnecessary for warmth in this modern age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the best compromise is to promote furs from animals that people actually eats or wears clothes from. I don't see anything wrong with lambskin fur, sheep fur/Shearling, Goat fur. I think today furriers can develop ways to work with those 3 categories.

I think the problem with fur is maybe a matter of "personification". A fox is not a domestic animal so, no matter how hard PETA will find ways to show it to people, those same people can't relate to it. The same for mink. A mink is quite cute but how many people know what an actual mink look like?

On top of that, fur involves a lot of jobs and some part of the world are still living out of that.

At the end of the day, the consumer is the one who respond and influence the industry. And obviously, the vast majority of consumers wants fur and for me the most honest way to do it is by using the same sources as the ones for the bags and clothes.

Faux fur is terrible for the environment...especially the way it's manufactured.
At least with real fur it's 100% biodegradable (obviously as long as you remove the inner silk lining etc)

I'm from Australia where fur is really unnecessary to wear but it amazes me that more fox fur isn't used because fox is a MAJOR foreign pest in Australia. We are ethically obliged to kill all foxes here no matter how cute they look because they are killing SO MUCH of our native fauna. It's really bad! I have a farm in rural Victoria but now live in the Australian Capital Territory and the damage foxes do to native bird and small mammal communities is devastating.

I've always thought about creating fox fur coats and other items used from the wild pest foxes killed by hunters here. It perfectly balances out the ethical problems because it's not using farmed animals and it's helping the Australian biodiversity.

Faux fur is terrible for the environment...especially the way it's manufactured.
At least with real fur it's 100% biodegradable (obviously as long as you remove the inner silk lining etc)

I'm from Australia where fur is really unnecessary to wear but it amazes me that more fox fur isn't used because fox is a MAJOR foreign pest in Australia. We are ethically obliged to kill all foxes here no matter how cute they look because they are killing SO MUCH of our native fauna. It's really bad! I have a farm in rural Victoria but now live in the Australian Capital Territory and the damage foxes do to native bird and small mammal communities is devastating.

I've always thought about creating fox fur coats and other items used from the wild pest foxes killed by hunters here. It perfectly balances out the ethical problems because it's not using farmed animals and it's helping the Australian biodiversity.
See - this is an incredibly interesting perspective, and so important. Thank you for sharing.

All these companies who go on with their moral preening about switching over to faux-fur as if they were MLK Jr. and then everyone applauding them as if they were God, really is so unintelligent.

You've provided a very realistic and compelling pro-fur argument. People need to wake up and understand that life is simply not black and white. There are pros and cons to every choice made. Rewards and consequences. There is never a fix-all, win-win solution. So - companies like Gucci and Versace have banned fur? Now what? Also, as Lola mentioned, many small, local, indigenous communities have survived for centuries on the fur trade - indigenous communities that we're always scolded into treating with the utmost sensitivity - "don't you dare use their cultural iconography!" But what about when it comes to their actual, real-life livelihood? So much for all the compassion and "wokeness..."

Plus, people act like wearing fur is some evil specific to Western society. People in every corner of the world have worn fur for since the beginning of time for survival AND for decoration and status. What purpose would abolishing it serve?

And again, the ecological component to faux fur is terrible, it's shelf life is pretty abysmal and it doesn't offer any longevity. Who passes down a faux fur coat through the generations? It's pretty wasteful. Real fur, on the other hand, lasts and is cherished for several generations, at least. Which is more eco-friendly between the two? People love to act like anyone who wears fur is Cruella de Vil, or is dumping their used coats into a landfill for waste. Very delusional. I guarantee that the absolute majority of people who buy fur do not treat it disrespectfully - most are well aware of the value and cost (both the literal and figurative) of what they are purchasing and treat it accordingly.

Furthermore, anyone who lives in regions that get extremely cold in the winter, real fur (or real down, etc) is the difference between "pure misery" and "survival." As someone who lived in NY for many years, I can tell you the difference between wearing a synthetic puffer and an authentic down or fur jacket during the winter is noticeable, to say the least.

All in all, I don't think faux fur SHOULDN'T exist, and I don't mind people being opposed to fur, either - but what I do find to be frustrating is the delusion that real fur is pure evil and morally repugnant and faux fur is virtuous above critique. And, maybe more than anything - I find the mentality particularly reprehensible than anyone thinks they have the right to control what someone else on this earth wishes to do with their life. If someone wants to wear fur - allow them to partake. Opt out for yourself. End of story.

See - this is an incredibly interesting perspective, and so important. Thank you for sharing.

All these companies who go on with their moral preening about switching over to faux-fur as if they were MLK Jr. and then everyone applauding them as if they were God, really is so unintelligent.

You've provided a very realistic and compelling pro-fur argument. People need to wake up and understand that life is simply not black and white. There are pros and cons to every choice made. Rewards and consequences. There is never a fix-all, win-win solution. So - companies like Gucci and Versace have banned fur? Now what? Also, as Lola mentioned, many small, local, indigenous communities have survived for centuries on the fur trade - indigenous communities that we're always scolded into treating with the utmost sensitivity - "don't you dare use their cultural iconography!" But what about when it comes to their actual, real-life livelihood? So much for all the compassion and "wokeness..."

Plus, people act like wearing fur is some evil specific to Western society. People in every corner of the world have worn fur for since the beginning of time for survival AND for decoration and status. What purpose would abolishing it serve?

And again, the ecological component to faux fur is terrible, it's shelf life is pretty abysmal and it doesn't offer any longevity. Who passes down a faux fur coat through the generations? It's pretty wasteful. Real fur, on the other hand, lasts and is cherished for several generations, at least. Which is more eco-friendly between the two? People love to act like anyone who wears fur is Cruella de Vil, or is dumping their used coats into a landfill for waste. Very delusional. I guarantee that the absolute majority of people who buy fur do not treat it disrespectfully - most are well aware of the value and cost (both the literal and figurative) of what they are purchasing and treat it accordingly.

Furthermore, anyone who lives in regions that get extremely cold in the winter, real fur (or real down, etc) is the difference between "pure misery" and "survival." As someone who lived in NY for many years, I can tell you the difference between wearing a synthetic puffer and an authentic down or fur jacket during the winter is noticeable, to say the least.

All in all, I don't think faux fur SHOULDN'T exist, and I don't mind people being opposed to fur, either - but what I do find to be frustrating is the delusion that real fur is pure evil and morally repugnant and faux fur is virtuous above critique. And, maybe more than anything - I find the mentality particularly reprehensible than anyone thinks they have the right to control what someone else on this earth wishes to do with their life. If someone wants to wear fur - allow them to partake. Opt out for yourself. End of story.
***Edited***

There is a difference between a man who comes from an indigenous tribe and wears fur because of the following things:
-Survival (Low temperatures)
-Tradition
-Goods (They usually exchange their furs for other goods through common barter)

***Edited***

Normal people like you and me DO NOT need to wear real fur. Real fur is treated just like any other luxury item: A piece that you wear for prestige which is IMO 100% wrong because that's not what it was meant to be when humans started to wear fur for survival.

***Edited*** I'm just glad that people are finally getting rid of this insane habit of killing animals just so that lady who married a rich husband can wear a grotesque coat so she can show off and 'flex' to her friends.

***Edited***

There is a difference between a man who comes from an indigenous tribe and wears fur because of the following things:
-Survival (Low temperatures)
-Tradition
-Goods (They usually exchange their furs for other goods through common barter)

***Edited***

Normal people like you and me DO NOT need to wear real fur. Real fur is treated just like any other luxury item: A piece that you wear for prestige which is IMO 100% wrong because that's not what it was meant to be when humans started to wear fur for survival.

***Edited*** I'm just glad that people are finally getting rid of this insane habit of killing animals just so that lady who married a rich husband can wear a grotesque coat so she can show off and 'flex' to her friends.

Using that logic, people don't need leather shoes, or leather belts, or leather handbags and purses, leather skirts, or leather anything really...but they do. And once again, pleather is WAY worse for the environment than actual leather.

It's about being sustainable for the environment and being ethical in the treatment of animals and biodiversity. Hence my previous point about using feral foxes or other feral animals to produce fur items.

What's the point of Luxury if you can't use the finest materials? Besides, Faux-fur is unsustainable and if you're going to invest your money, it might as well in the real one.

4gJB9un.gif

What's the point of Luxury if you can't use the finest materials? Besides, Faux-fur is unsustainable and if you're going to invest your money, it might as well in the real one.

EDITED >>> Removing image from quote, per tFS rules.

I love how nonchalantly and plainly you put it lol, but i agree with you, diorcouture and definitely feeling the pain of billiejbob.

whilst i am sure there are some super rich people who buys and collects fur to flaunt, I think they are probably the minority.

And if some people argue that using fur is not as necessary as eating meat (both killing animals), that is bs as well, since there are vegans too.

and then of course, there is the leather argument like billie pointed out above.

faux fur, in my opinion, is just damaging to the environment, period. if we have to ban fur, might as well just go do without it totally.

just wear vintage fur...
those animals are already dead and you honor them by continuing to use their skins rather than chucking them on a garbage heap...

anyway- that's what i do and have always done...
people give me their furs, actually, when an older relative passes away or whatever...
they know i will take care of them and appreciate them and give them a good home...

i feel like the folks that flaunt their fur are the nouveau riche...
you can figure out who they are...
^_^

just have to say...
has anyone checked out Fendi's website?
they do fur that is on a whole other level...
it's really incredible...
they have videos that show the pieces being put together ...
honestly, from the perpective of workmanship, it is just remarkable...

i was just watching with my mouth hanging open...

and then i went to the store and saw the actual pieces in person...
unbelievable work...

just have to say...
has anyone checked out Fendi's website?
they do fur that is on a whole other level...
it's really incredible...
they have videos that show the pieces being put together ...
honestly, from the perpective of workmanship, it is just remarkable...

i was just watching with my mouth hanging open...

and then i went to the store and saw the actual pieces in person...
unbelievable work...

This!

An example to why i still support the fur trade.

This industry is in dire need of proper craftsmanship, because people are unknowingly sacrificing it for their pecksniffish motives.

This!

An example to why i still support the fur trade.

This industry is in dire need of proper craftsmanship, because people are unknowingly sacrificing it for their pecksniffish motives.
Ok. You just slayed me with “pecksniffish.” I love it.

Speaking of Fendi, I wonder if they are going to show Haute Fourrure this season.
Because one thing is sure: the luxury customer still buy furs.

There’s something so funny about those fashion houses stopping doing Fur. They are doing it as a PR/Marketing move because the people who are on social media complaining about the use of furs are not necessarily their furs or RTW customers and even more, that clientele is not boycotting those brands because of their use of fur.

Look at Fendi: 3rd biggest LVMH brand, big fur business, growing RTW business and big sales of bags.

Speaking of Fendi, I wonder if they are going to show Haute Fourrure this season.

There’s something so funny about those fashion houses stopping doing Fur. They are doing it as a PR/Marketing move because the people who are on social media complaining about the use of furs are not necessarily their furs or RTW customers and even more, that clientele is not boycotting those brands because of their use of fur.

Look at Fendi: 3rd biggest LVMH brand, big fur business, growing RTW business and big sales of bags.
A lesson I’m sure these brands will soon have to learn...never give into the mob. The mob is never satisfied.

ThereÂ’s something so funny about those fashion houses stopping doing Fur. They are doing it as a PR/Marketing move because the people who are on social media complaining about the use of furs are not necessarily their furs or RTW customers and even more, that clientele is not boycotting those brands because of their use of fur.

It wouldn't make any sense for Fendi to stop fur, it's so ingrained into their brand DNA and history, it's the one thing they absolutely specialize in.

But as always you did raise a valid point, Lola. The people that cry for boycotts on social media are not necessarily the people actually buying the clothes. Dolce & Gabbana made these stupid "Boycott D&G" t-shirts as a response to some scandal and they sold out. It's clear most luxury customers do not care about these things and they probably don't even follow any SJW on instagram and twitter.

Gucci is the biggest bunch of hypocrites as far as I can tell.

They stop using fur but they have their nyc flagship in Trump Tower-
This is the guy who just made it legal to import endangered animals carcasses and whose sicko sons are proud of killing elephants and other big game.

It’s all BS.
#wecallbs

California Officially Bans Sale, Manufacture of New Fur

Governor Gavin Newsom made California the first state to enact such a ban. Now, pro-fur groups are vowing litigation.

By Kali Hays on October 12, 2019

California is taking a historically tough stance on the fur industry.

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Saturday signed a bill, AB44, passed through the state senate last month, banning all sales and manufacture of new fur products in the state. Newsom on Twitter described the bill as “one of the strongest animal rights laws in U.S. history.” It also makes California the first state in the nation to adopt such a law.

“California is a leader when it comes to animal welfare and today that leadership includes banning the sale of fur,” Newsom wrote in a statement.

AB44 applies to all apparel and accessories that would contain fur, from coats to keychains, but used or vintage fur products are exempt. It also exempts leather, cowhide and shearling (materials that often make their way to market as part of the food industry and would be otherwise wasted), as well as “fur products used for religious purposes.” There are further provisions for the exemption of taxidermy products and fur from animals lawfully taken while hunting.

In addition to the fur sales ban, the governor signed a package of other new animal rights laws, including a ban on the slaughter of horses, the use of wild animals in circuses, an extension on an already enacted ban on the trade of dead animal parts and a ban on the trapping or killing of bobcats in the state. He also last month signed into law a ban on fur trapping and earlier this year the City of Los Angeles banned fur sales.

“We are making a statement to the world that beautiful wild animals like bears and tigers have no place on trapeze wires or jumping through flames,” Newsom added. “Just YouTube the videos showing the cruel way these animals — often stripped from their mothers as babies — are trained to do dangerous tricks. It’s deeply disturbing.”

California’s move was widely applauded by animal rights groups. PETA vice president Tracy Reiman said the group was “proud to have worked with compassionate legislators to push these lifesaving laws forward and looks to other states to follow California’s progressive lead.”

Kitty Block, chief executive officer of the Humane Society, said the ban on new fur sales “underscores the point that today’s consumers simply don’t want wild animals to suffer extreme pain and fear for the sake of fashion.

Block added: “More cities and states are expected to follow California’s lead and the few brands and retailers that still sell fur will no doubt take a look at innovative alternatives that don’t involve animal cruelty.”

The Humane Society also positioned California’s move — which comes after many major brands, including Chanel, Prada, fur in their products and designs — as putting “huge pressure” on the U.K. government to adopt a similar ban on the sale of fur.

Marylin Kroplick, president of In Defense of Animals, an animal rights group that supported AB44, praised the enactment of the bill and said the group “will continue to work with dedicated activists and organizations to make fur history across the U.S and around the world.”

There are pro-fur groups, however, that have tried to lobby against the ban on fur and fur-related activities. The Truth About Fur is one such group and its argument in favor of fur largely rests on the logic that increasingly popular fake fur, typically made from petrochemicals and plastics, is more harmful for the environment than the “well-regulated” killing of animals for fur. The group is run by several pro-fur groups and lobbies, like the Canada Mink Breeders Association and Fur Commission USA. The groups also all cite a PwC study from 2012 that estimated global fur sales to be worth $35 billion. In North America, retail sales of fur in 2013 were estimated to be around $1 billion, according to research from the Fur Information Council of America.

The council’s Keith Kaplan criticized the bill and Governor Newsom’s passage of it, saying he “failed to recognize the human toll,” arguing fur-producing businesses will be forced to close “with no compensation to the business owners.” However, business listings in the state show just over a dozen companies listed as participating in fur farming, almost all dealing in mink. Fur Commission USA stopped “revealing” the number of fur farms in the U.S. in 2012.

Kaplan also argued that the bill “will do nothing for animal welfare and nothing to stop out-of-state sales of fur into California.” He even claimed the ban will somehow lead to the future ban of wool blankets and meat for food.

“This issue is about much more than animal welfare in the fur industry,” Kaplan insisted. “It is about the end of animal use of any kind. Fur today, leather tomorrow, your wool blankets and silk sheets — and meat after that.

“We intend to challenge this law in the courts,” he continued. “It does not bode well for honest, hard-working people, for democracy, and for commerce when by government fiat businesses can be terminated for no other reason than to score political points with a handful of fanatics.”

But such an extreme stance and the groups’ many months of campaigning seem to have done little to curb anti-fur sentiment among some state and local governments, as well as fashion houses operating amid changing ideas around what actually constitutes luxury. The rise of normcore and the elevation of the mundane, à la Vetements and Off-White and street style at large, joined up with a growing concern, at least by some designers, about reactions to fur products by consumers and fans.

Gucci’s much lauded creative director Alessandro Michele told WWD that the house’s decision to go fur free was like giving up smoking.

“You love it, but it’s not good,” Michele explained. “So, at the end, you just have to take your box of cigarettes and throw it in the bin and that’s it. Because after, you feel much better.”

WWD