Favourite Top African and Black Models

CherryFizz21

Reaction score
My top african and black models would be:

Alek-exotic.love the ebony skin and cropped hair.plus she has legs for days!

Liya-her look is very elegant..perfect for runway.north.african features
Yasmine-VERY haute couture..elegant and classy..very slim, swan like neck like liya too.
Oluchi-very good for runway..and comercial print is even better.love the dark skin and lips and cheekbones
Jessica white-very all american..shes cute
Jaunel Mckenzie-cant put my finger on ir..she doesnt really have an african look
Naomi-shes a mix of exotic looking and somethin else hard to explain..love h er cheek bones tho.but really how tall is she? ..sometimes she really doesnt look all that tall on the runway or anywhere else for that matter.her sig.hair style has got to go.
gerren taylor--she has that fresh young look she has a baby face

btw: do you guys think a model who has parents of african decent [but the model was born in america]would have african features or what??

i would put their pics up but i dunno how..yet!

ooo nice thread :smile:

hmm i love naomi...i know she's kinda diva-ish but i do love her presence, esp on the runway.

my favorite is probably liya. what a great person she is! so regal looking too

alek wek...hmm not a part. favorite BUT i love how bubbly and sweet she seems. she was on the cover of sephora and her smile just made me want to smile.

and even tho she's VERY old school, i'd add iman to my list. i adore her

I don't have an absolute favourite, I think I'd choose between Alek and Liya.Oluchi is stunning too.

I wish there'd be much more black models in the business.Black models have the most beautiful skin and elegant features...they're almost never tacky (oh well, maybe Naomi...).

btw: do you guys think a model who has parents of african decent [but the model was born in america]would have african features or what??
[/QUOTE]

Yes, a model whose parents are of African decent would have african features because it would be in her genes.

I like Oluchi a lot. She's beautiful.

I love Iman, Beverly Johnson and Yasmin Warsame (my favorite model RIGHT THIS MOMENT!:heart:), but I have a soft spot for Liya, as I have been told I resemble her a bit:blush:.

[font=arial,helvetica]Ive been thinking for a long, long time of building a "tribute" thread to African-American models of the past, present & future (Ive always been biased to black models because, since there are so few of them compared to their white counterparts, they've always "stuck out" to me.) I imagined starting w/ models from the 70's up to now--that's 30-40 years of models, too much work to find all the pics & upload them all...But I guess this is the closest I'll come...

Beverly Johnson: though I wasnt around in her heyday, from the pictures that I have seen of her, she just seemed so pure, so natural, the Liya Kebede of her time (sorry for the comparison--I think it's quite unfair how black models are mostly compared to other black models).

Iman: LOVE HER! To me, she's definitely the BEST African-American model, and definitely one of the best models of all time. There are simply NOT enough words to describe her! A true legend-what other models could only HOPE to be :heart:

Naomi: with the exception of her well-documented diva-like antics, she's excellent in every single sense of the word. No, she doesnt bring the same spark to the edits & clothes that she once did, but, when she did back in her prime, booooooy, did she ever know how to work some couture!!! However, I think she "cheapens" her image by doing all these crummy RTW shows now (Heatherette), but, after all, she's still a human being, a human being with bills to pay like the rest of us.

Tyra: I think she was good for one hot minute, but that was it really. Now I think she looks incredibly plastic w/ all that drag-queen like make-up, fake hair and even faker boobs.

Alek Wek: love her too! I think that the colors of the clothes just POP against that deep dark ebony skin of her. To me, she is truly a groundbreaker in the industry--prior to her, I dont recall seeing any models who were true African & had skintone that dark (in fact, when I see some pictures of black models before her, a lot of the times, the make-up looks as if it were applied to "whiten" the model, these 2 shots of Naomi in 80's Valentino & YSL come to mind). And yes, she definitely has great legs which work best for fitted suits w/ clean structured lines. I heard that she doesnt believe in using weaves both on & off the runway because it goes against her African heritage--you cant say anything bad about a model (or anybody else for that fact) who sticks to her beliefs...And that smile of hers its so infectious, she just looks so friendly and so personable. Of course, I havent heard much about her in real life, so for all I know, she could be a real b**** to work with. Oh yeah, did I mention she's a favorite of Gaultier ( :heart: :heart: :heart: ) ?? Need I say more???

Liya: next to Karen Elson, IMO she's definitely the most versatile model out there right now. I just hope her career lasts just as long as Karens' has. I love her ad for TomFord/YSL where the picture was taken from behind & she's wearing that purple blouse w/ the corset detailing & she's pulling the strings tighter: probably one of my FAVE shots from any ad-campaign. I think everybody who posted in her thread pretty much covered my feelings about her...

Noemie Lenoire: gorgeous eyes. The best runway shot I can think of her off the top of my head is Gaultier '03: "deconstructed" denim jacket, leather "potato-sack" skirt that extended from knee-length to floor-length w/ the flick of a strap, knee-high boots, and the BEST use of extensions I can think of, which I posted in her thread...Unfortunately, I havent seen much of her, so I cant form that much of an opinion :(

Garren Taylor (sp?:( cute, but waaay too young. If she makes it in the industry into her late teen/early adult years, then Im sure she'll be total knock-out.
[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]Who am I missing????[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]
Phew! I dont think I ever wrote this much in college!

:flower:

[/font]

Iman, Beverly Johnson, and Naomi (runway) from the past

Liya, Yasmin, and Oluchi from the present.

I feel that Black women are very underrated and underrepresented in the fashion industry. Liya and Yasmin are two of the most gorgeous women I have ever seen, great on the runway and in pictures. Even though Liya is popular, she's still underrated compared to her white counterparts.

I think there should be more variety and women of color used on covers, in editorials, and in ad campaigns/runway. There should be no reason why one should flip through an entire issue of Vogue or Elle and see barely any Black models, or other nonwhite races as well. :(

Valery Prince :heart:

100114186.jpg

Source: www.style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I really am enjoying this thread but I'm needing picture credits if you want to keep those pictures up.

Thanks for all members posting fantastic photos, but PLEASE :

1)ADD PHOTO CREDITS

2)REMOVE PICTURES FROM QUOTES
3)RESIZE PICTURES THAT ARE TOO BIG, or POST THEM AS ATTACHMENTS

From now on, any pictures posted without credits will be deleted.

For more info, read please read the guidelines

Are my pics violations? They were uploaded images I'd saved on my computer, and I don't even remember where I got them. :(

icon4.gif
Enforcing of policy starting today.
All photos and news items in supporting cast must be linked back to the source they were taken from. If they are taken from another site, they must be given credit. This has been our policy all along and it's time to enforce it.

IF YOU POST A PICTURE AND DO NOT GIVE CREDIT TO THE SOURCE IT WILL BE DELETED. Supporting cast is a hugh forum but it is going to dwindle down to nothing if pictures aren't credited. This is a legal matter that we have neglected to enforce for too long. Please help us out with this.

And by crediting it means you have to write the link to the website you found the images from on each post.
It is quiet impossible for us to click on every pictures trying to search for a source.

Tasha E. is a Haitian model and I think she is simply gorgeous.

Source: everythinghaitian.com

I agree with trophy about 2 things: one, I have often called Beverly the Liya of her time as well, and two, it is VERY unfortunate that Black models are always compared to other black models. Gerren is the next Tyra ( in Tyra's dreams), Nakeisha is the next Naomi (um, no one is the next Naomi!), and so on and so forth. I may look like a Liya/Noemi L. hybrid, but I have always comsidered myself to have an attitude and style like that of Amber Valletta, and I think that she is the best model to compare myself to:flower:.

Neo_Classic said:
Tasha E. is a Haitian model and I think she is simply gorgeous.

Source: everythinghaitian.com

Tasha E.? Yeah, she's hot. Ive never seen her before. I'll definitely try to keep an eye on this one!
:flower:

Sadly a very short thread

Can you think of any young black models that have the capability to carry on the torch of the now top black models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->