Films With Style

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
quite predictable for Kors to choose "Shampoo" but i quite liked jacobs choice with "The bitter Tears of Petra von Kant" it was ridiculously camp and i got hysterical and started laughing when i should be silent and shocked... :ninja:

Fashion designers have taken enough inspiration from the silver screen, so now it’s time to give back. As part of a benefit for the American Film Institute, Michael Kors and Marc Jacobs are planning to present some of their favorite films, along with editors from Vogue, during a series of screenings at Soho House with Indyssey Entertainment. The new series, Grand Classics: Films With Style, kicks off March 23 with Hamish Bowles and Kors presenting “Shampoo,” the 1975 Warren Beatty and Julie Christie classic that played a big part in Kors’ fall collection. Jacobs and Sally Singer are planning to show “The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant” in May, while André Leon Talley is still working out his designer partner and selection.

i just think it's funny that hamish bowles and andre leon talley ae doing this...funny...their job descriptions are soo vague... B) you never kkow what they'll be doing next... :P

they are both curating this together with one chosen designer , i find the project very interesting and i'd like to introduce this locally, make a style-in-film festival maybe? its a brillinat idea

already thinking of sponsors :innocent:

I think it's a great idea!! I also want to know the other designer's choices!!

slightly off topic but i hope not too much...i think two of the most stylish movies of our time came out the same year: the thomas crown affair and the talented mr. ripley....any other nominations?

oh wow! what a cool idea! I wish I could see in person :(

André will most likely call upon Miuccia Prada hence they are pretty good friends.

Sounds like a good idea.

Which makes me want to ask you all,which designer would you want to partner up with and which film would you screen together?

No surprises here,but I would have to say Jurgi and would choose either "The Birds",David Cronenberg's "Dead Ringer's" or "Lost Highway" :ninja:

the bitter tears is soooooooooo tom ford... when i watch that movie, all i think about is tom ford's last satiny collection for ysl [the velvet jackets and rhinestone mermaid dresses]. well, that and diana ross.

fashion designers are so predictable in their "cool" fashion taste... i swear, is there trend forecasting for films, books, artists, and albums that all designers and lovers of fashion should love??

Originally posted by mikeijames@Mar 15th, 2004 - 10:21 am
slightly off topic but i hope not too much...i think two of the most stylish movies of our time came out the same year: the thomas crown affair and the talented mr. ripley....any other nominations?
Fifth element - Gaultier :wink:

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 15th, 2004 - 10:25 am
André will most likely call upon Miuccia Prada hence they are pretty good friends.

Sounds like a good idea.

Which makes me want to ask you all,which designer would you want to partner up with and which film would you screen together?

No surprises here,but I would have to say Jurgi and would choose either "The Birds",David Cronenberg's "Dead Ringer's" or "Lost Highway" :ninja:
scott-i don't think miuccia's got time to fly over from milan to give a little speech about a movie she likes...if you know what i mean... think it will have to be someone from ny where the event is taking place and maybe it's not so easy to choose...maybe narciso?...donna?...(alittle boriing)zac and the proenza boys would probably be into it, but they haven't been in the 'biz' very long..it's alittle early for them to be reflecting back on their influences...

:lol:

what i wonder is who's on the guest list, because it's probably invitation only... :innocent:

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 15th, 2004 - 6:25 pm

i would team up with Alber Elbaz (Lanvin) and maybe show "blue angel" , "the Cabaret" or "gatsby"

if i was invited by a stylist, i'd love to screen one of those here:
*The Great Gatsby
*Chelsea Girls (by Andy Warhol)
*Three women (Altman)
*Delicatesen (french cult movie)
*Hairspray (Walters)

* or -cliche cliche- any movie with Audrey H. (filmed in Paris)

:wink: nanouck of the north with isaac mizrahi... :lol: :lol: :lol:

little joke for anyone who saw 'unzipped'... :P

Originally posted by softgrey+Mar 15th, 2004 - 9:40 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Mar 15th, 2004 - 9:40 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Mar 15th, 2004 - 10:25 am

Sounds like a good idea.

scott-i don't think miuccia's got time to fly over from milan to give a little speech about a movie she likes...if you know what i mean... think it will have to be someone from ny where the event is taking place and maybe it's not so easy to choose...maybe narciso?...donna?...(alittle boriing)zac and the proenza boys would probably be into it, but they haven't been in the 'biz' very long..it's alittle early for them to be reflecting back on their influences...

:lol:

what i wonder is who's on the guest list, because it's probably invitation only... :innocent: [/b][/quote]
I thought of that after I posted. Seems quite boring if its just NY designers.

Yes I remember Unzipped quite well :lol:

Lena,love "Delicatessen"

seriously, though, i worked with a designer on a collection that was inspired by a little known film called 'twilight of the ice nymphs'...i think it's by this odd canadian director, she would know more than i would...just the name brought up all kinds of incredible images... that was an amazing experience... i guess i'd do that with her...although, i don't know if anyone would come see us.... :lol:

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 15th, 2004 - 8:25 am

oh i love lost high way :heart:

i haven't seen many of the older films...but i always loved hitchcock's blondes sort of style...and more recently..."Down With Love" and "Moulin Rouge" both paying homage to beautiful eras of fashion design...then there's more specific ones like "Pleasentville" and "Cold Mountain"...i always like "Ghostworld" very simple and different.

i'd love to do Renais' "Hiroshima mon amour" with Kawakubo - very vaguely if at all connected to cdg* stylewise but as intimate and profound as her approach to fashion. also since her husband is French.
or may be star wars with Sohia Kokosalaki.
as to Marc's choice, it's so strange that i never noticed the campness of it, having watched it several times. and now it just dawns :smile: on silly-never-much-around-dykes me. wait, is **** an inappropriate word? so unPC of faggoty me. anyway, i think Fassbinder is a great grown-up choice revealing Marc's other side.

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 15th, 2004 - 10:25 am
I do love Moulin Rouge and FunnyFace, but that's definetly a "cliche-cliche", apparently. :lol: Maybe Yohji, but I still don't know what film to choose. :unsure: Probably, Jean-Luc Godard's "Breathless" or Jean Renoir's "The Rules of the Game".. just because I really want to see those films. :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anka xx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->