Fire Glenda Bailey - Suggestions

A.D.C.

Reaction score
OK, I think we can all agree that Bazaar has become only a shadow of it's formal self and that after almost a decade in charge it's time for a change in the masthead. So I thought we could start a thread and input our suggestions.

I think the obvious choice to replace Glenda would be Carine. She's no longer at Vogue Paris and I think the entire fashion world would relish pitting her against Anna in New York. She also has the same kind of connections to photographers and stylists that Tilberis had and I'm sure plenty of people would love working for her revamped Bazaar.

The title of this is so mean. :lol:

Carine would definitely be a good choice, I was never a fan but she has the guts and hype it takes to do the arduous job of reviving a magazine like Bazaar. And her vision is just so traditional (despite the usual adjectives given to her work), she creates what the average person expects to see in a fashion magazine.

Dasha also did such a good job at POP that I would consider her for this, maybe not for a long-term position but just to kick things off.. she's good at gathering talented people and injecting new energy.

OK, I think we can all agree that Bazaar has become only a shadow of it's formal self and that after almost a decade in charge it's time for a change in the masthead. So I thought we could start a thread and input our suggestions.

I think the obvious choice to replace Glenda would be Carine. She's no longer at Vogue Paris and I think the entire fashion world would relish pitting her against Anna in New York. She also has the same kind of connections to photographers and stylists that Tilberis had and I'm sure plenty of people would love working for her revamped Bazaar.

Glenda has been at Bazaar almost a decade now and I doubt she's going anywhere. Regardless of what some of the most fashion-obsessed readers think, Bazaar is doing very well financially. Despite being down in ad pages for the first quarter, last year it was one of few fashion titles to make a small but not insignificant increase in ad sales. The Jen Aniston September cover was the magazine's bestselling issue in 7 years.

Of course we want ineffable, fantasy spreads and no actresses on the cover. But to deny the importance of the business aspect of magazines and casually overlook an editor's financial success is dangerous.

^ i daresay i see a huge pile of jen aniston's september cover in magazine stands here at bargain prices just waiting to hit the trash dumps.

how can one see what the sells are for a magazine every month? I wish there was some site or source available for that kind of thing like box office and billboard. Anyway, I think Carine would do great at W and Glenda doesn't need to be fired but she sure as hell need to stop moving away from the aesthetics of Bazaar magazine like she has been doing for the past couple of years.

^ i daresay i see a huge pile of jen aniston's september cover in magazine stands here at bargain prices just waiting to hit the trash dumps.

The sales figures are only recorded for the US by the Audit Bureau of Circulations, and somehow I don't think Manila is the primary market for Bazaar US.

how can one see what the sells are for a magazine every month? I wish there was some site or source available for that kind of thing like box office and billboard. Anyway, I think Carine would do great at W and Glenda doesn't need to be fired but she sure as hell need to stop moving away from the aesthetics of Bazaar magazine like she has been doing for the past couple of years.

It's not released monthly; only quarterly. The Audit Bureau of Circulations does it and typically Mediaweek and WWD will run stories about the sales figures.

Mulletproof, i totally agree with you, but can i just throw the suggestion of Alyona Doletskaya into the mix ? i think she has a good vision and would probably be correct for the american market, which is where it's directly aimed at.

^ Doletskaya's even a better idea if Bazaar were to play musical chairs. it'd be very interesting though, to see
what Carine can do for Bazaar, but i highly doubt that she'd let go of her risque ideals for the American market.

Glenda has been at Bazaar almost a decade now and I doubt she's going anywhere. Regardless of what some of the most fashion-obsessed readers think, Bazaar is doing very well financially. Despite being down in ad pages for the first quarter, last year it was one of few fashion titles to make a small but not insignificant increase in ad sales. The Jen Aniston September cover was the magazine's bestselling issue in 7 years.

Of course we want ineffable, fantasy spreads and no actresses on the cover. But to deny the importance of the business aspect of magazines and casually overlook an editor's financial success is dangerous.

Bazaar sells about half as much as US Elle does and US Elle still trails Vogue. I'm sure Glenda turns in a profit but only because she cuts corners every which way possible. No name photographers, No regards to quality writing, A June/July issue, cheap editorials like the Kardashian one this month. It's one thing to have celebs on the cover, we can all resign ourselves to that but she consistently sinks to the lowest common denominator.

A second possiple choice I would have would be Lucy Yoemans of UK Bazaar. One needs only to look at what she has done with that title.

Bazaar sells about half as much as US Elle does and US Elle still trails Vogue. I'm sure Glenda turns in a profit but only because she cuts corners every which way possible. No name photographers, No regards to quality writing, A June/July issue, cheap editorials like the Kardashian one this month. It's one thing to have celebs on the cover, we can all resign ourselves to that but she consistently sinks to the lowest common denominator.

A second possiple choice I would have would be Lucy Yoemans of UK Bazaar. One needs only to look at what she has done with that title.

A lot of it has to do with Hearst's managerial style as opposed to Conde Nast's. Hearst has always turned huge profits by operating like a streamlined business. I will concede that the writing is not always well-done, but hardly no-name photographers (Akrans, Lubormirski, Seliger, Kadel, Sebastian Kim...maybe not Demarchelier or Testino but still big names nonetheless). The June/July combination was most definitely due to pressure from inside Hearst. All in all, the editorial content is still good and so what if we have to get some cheesy covers. My point is that Harper's isn't trying to be VOGUE anymore, they like fashion to be whimsical, fun, and not so serious. I'd also maybe say that the UK Bazaar improvement is due to Sophia Neophitou as much as Lucy Yeomans, despite her having been there for a while now.

I agree it is time for Glenda to go at Harper's Bazaar. The mag really does need new blood. With Anna & Vogue every few years I go off the mag but she pulls me back in like at the moment I'm really enjoying US Vogue. The same can't be said for Bazaar.

I don't know who should take over but I just can't see Carine coming to an American publication. It would be too constricting.

No to Lucy Yoemans. She is perfectly fine at UK Bazaar thanks.

^^ lol ad pages and the circulations show Bazaar is on the losing end of the market. compared to Elle and Vogue which had steady increases, Bazaar trails rather poorly.

and the editorial content is pretty repetitive, the covers are boring.. doesn't glenda get that her formula isn't working anymore?

No to Lucy Yoemans. She is perfectly fine at UK Bazaar thanks.

Yeah, I don't really want US Bazaar to "improve" at the risk of quality declining in a magazine that I buy more often than that. :lol: Is that awful of me?

^ Not at all because you make perfect sense.

And I don't understand why some think that people are willing to drop everything and move to New York. It doesn't work like that if you have a family or other commitments in England or Europe.

As Breathless said, she doesn't need to be fired, but she really needs to relook at her magazine. Revamp it, bring new people and visions in, or get out.

^ Agreed. Bazaar is sagging because of the lack of good, visionary photographers for one. It's good to promote new talent but for a prominent, important fashion publication it's more important to have a certain sense of polish that Roe Ethridge and Paolo Kaducki just can't bring IMO.

More Brana, Melanie, Nathaniel Goldberg, Solve Sundsbo, Tom Munro...less of the ridiculous Jersey Shore editorials and 'I tried on a Balmain jacket and it wasn't for me' articles.

^ Yeah exactly. I find that Elle does a better job editorial wise, because they don't really get the big A+++ list name photographers either, but they do have photographers who seem to have a specific vision.

The sales figures are only recorded for the US by the Audit Bureau of Circulations, and somehow I don't think Manila is the primary market for Bazaar US.

the sales figures are actually IN the magazine itself. they must reveal how many are printed, sold or given away. usually they only publish this information quarterly or yearly.

I want an American to take the helm. The problem I see with a lot of the American fashion mags is that they lack a distinct American perspective. Vogue Paris has a very French identity thanks to the staff being almost exclusively French. All of the EICs of U.S. mags are foreign born-- typically British. American models are under utilized. I want to see someone who is excited about American fashion and enthusiastic about the style scene here. I don't want to see Sienna Miller on the cover of my magazine when she's not even popular in the U.S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->