Following up on job applications

heyitsme

Reaction score
Following up just seems so awkward to me to begin with. It's basically saying, you haven't called me for the job yet and why not? In my experience following up just gives you typical boiler plate "we are reviewing the resumes and will contact you if there is a match" answer.

So what do you guys think? I was specifically asking in reference to a job I applied for at Chanel (corporate). It was a job posting online. Should I call and just ask for HR? What should I say if I get ahold of them?

I'll be interested in seeing replies for this too. Here where I live and where I'm from (Australia) it's not really something that's done, at least from what I'm aware. However I do hear about it more so in the US - it's a bit too forward for us Australians I think, so I do wonder if it's effective!

I think if there is no reply in a reasonable time (depending on what kind of job it is, how big the company is and if it's a job that's likely to receive a lot or only a small amount of replies) you have every right to either call them up and ask for the right department or contact person and just inform.

What to say?.. Quite easy, just say that you replied to the specific job opening (it may help to mention the location where you found the ad) and that you wrote a letter, but still haven't heard anything back from them. Then you can ask what the situation on the job opening and applicants is.

Answer can be that they're still processing the applicants or that they're waiting until a certain date before they will start processing all the applicants. Or of course they can also say that you'll hear in a certain period of time or that they already made the selections and the ones that didn't make it won't receive a notice of that. (this usually happens with a big number of applicants, where it would just take up too much time to let everyone who got rejected know)

And you can just call up the department at Chanel (contact information is probably in the ad) and ask about it. After all Chanel is just another company.

Unfortunately, when you call HR to follow up on your application, 99.99% of the time a receptionist will tell you "if they are interested, they will call you" and they will give no further info. You're basically a sitting duck.:unsure: I have been job searching after being a freelance stylist & assistant for 4 years and I have done everything you're supposed to do, and it's not working much, lol! So basically I wouldn't even bother calling HR unless you know the name of the person doing the hiring & can somehow find their number (because receptionists will not give that out either). It sucks but that's how it is.:(

Thanks guys!

After thinking about it I definitely agree with you MsBeej. That's one of the main reasons I didn't really know where to start with this; being that if I actually call, I would have to get past the receptionist and I'm sure at a company like Chanel they do some major call screening.

I actually found a couple names of the current HR managers/directors, so I could call and directly ask to speak with them, but I think I'm going to email instead. I feel it's a little less intrusive than a call and doesn't put someone on the spot as much (which they may appreciate a little more and after all, what they think matters lol).

I'm in the same situation (in France) and I asked an adviser about it. Here's what she told me :
- Usually, after you apply online, the company sends you an email telling you they got your application. In this case, no need to call them back. You received confirmation they have your CV and cover letter and will review your application.
- If you don't hear back from the company 24 hours after you sent your application however, it's a good thing to call them and use the excuse that you want to make sure they have your application to get more information. Call the receptionist to get to the HR, or even better, call an alumni from your school who works in the company. Email is not really a good solution because you want to speak to the person directly and show that you are reactive and persistant. It's not intrusive to ask a person if they got your application (if you didn't receive confirmation), it shows that you're eager to work there and serious in your job search.

I disagree with what MsBeej says about not even bothering to call, because not calling is in no way better than calling and not getting through, you should always try if you have the chance, what do you have to lose?..
And Chanel probably doesn't have any more call screening than other companies, it's not like you're calling in to get Lagerfeld on the phone or something.

FrenchCactus' advice is a good way to handle the situation

I’ve always wondered this too, more so after an interview when it’s been days, sometimes weeks after the interviewer said they will advise of the outcome on x date.

Out of curiosity, how long do people usually wait after applying before they assume that they didn't get the job?

I'm new to France and I'm looking for a job, so if I am applying somethere where I REALLy want to work and I dont hear anything from them, I write them another email, just reminding of myself and showimg how much passionate I am about working for them. Though nothing has worked out yet :(
My french is not perfect, so i am afraid to talk on the phone in french.. :(

I’ve always wondered this too, more so after an interview when it’s been days, sometimes weeks after the interviewer said they will advise of the outcome on x date.

After you have interviewed, I'd say it's okay to follow up with an e-mail saying something like "Thank you for interviewing me, I am hopeful that I am still being considered for the position". 9 out of 10 times the person who interviewed you will let you know what is going on (they didn't get financing, they went with someone else, the boss was in an accident--that happened with me, they wanted to hire me but the person was in an accident and forgot to tell HR to hire me). This way, you can get a definite answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->