Franca Sozzani Dies at 66

No words to describe how sad this is. Absolutely irreplaceable genius is gone from us. Considering all her charity work and bringing SO MANY influential people to the industry - devastating loss.

British GQ

Why Franca Sozzani was the Pope of fashion

Franca Sozzani, the revolutionary editor of Vogue Italia who has died aged 66, was consistently unorthodox, irreverent, and radical. Luke Leitch writes in tribute to the woman who changed fashion forever
---

When Franca Sozzani - who passed away yesterday - was made Knight of the Légion d’Honneur four years ago, a crowd gathered at the Italian embassy in Paris to toast the moment. Karl Lagerfeld, Domenico Dolce, Stefano Gabbana, Roberto Cavalli and Haider Ackermann were amongst those charging their glasses. Before they could raise them, Jonathan Newhouse, the chairman of Condé Nast International, made a speech in tribute to the woman who had become editor of Vogue Italia in 1988.

At turns both tender and funny, Newhouse’s speech covered his first impression when, in 1989, he first met “this tiny, fragile looking woman who could not have weighed more than 50 kilos.”

“45!” Sozzani interjected, to laughs.

Newhouse added: “A Hollywood director creating the image of a chic fashion editor could not have invented a more glamorous, arresting personification. Only Franca was the real thing.” He ran through just a few her achievements - noting a time when Giorgio Armani, no less, had waited in the corridor outside her office in the hope of showing her his latest samples - before concluding by describing her as: “the high priestess of Vogue and the Pope of fashion.”

If Franca Sozzani was the Pope of fashion then her rule was anything but Catholic - her 28-year-long editorship was consistently unorthodox, irreverent, and radical. Controversy often swirled around the editorials she commissioned from a close-knit camarilla of photographers to whom she gave total creative freedom and enduring support; these included collaborator-in-chief Steven Meisel, Peter Lindbergh, Paolo Roversi and Bruce Weber. While she never - she insisted - courted controversy for the sake of it, she was entirely undaunted when it arose. As she told WWD in 2011: “we can’t all agree; if we all did, where would controversy be? If there is no controversy, there is no opinion.”

That quote applied to the personal blog she wrote on Vogue.It, her title’s website, but Vogue Italia’s pages were no less opinionated. Fashion photography, however, is far less precise a vehicle for delivering opinion than language: furthermore what it lacks in precision it makes up for in its potential for visceral impact. Thus some of Sozzani’s most powerful Vogue Italia stories were also its most powerfully divisive.

Take Makeover Madness, a Steven Meisel shoot from 2005 that portrayed models including Linda Evangelista, Missy Rider and Jessica Stam wearing the season’s finest red-carpet fare while on the operating table receiving botox, rhinoplasty and liposuction. The following year Meisel’s State of Emergency story showed its models being aggressively body-searched by armoured police personnel and taking part in target practice alongside them. In 2007 Meisel produced Make Love Not War, a portfolio of soldier-surrounded models in some unnamed desert army base that was judged by The Guardian (with a tangible relish marred only by regret at being unable to show a gallery of the images themselves) to be “the most nauseatingly tasteless fashion pictures ever.” In 2010 Meisel’s Water & Oil shoot showed Kristen McMenamy as an oil-slicked seabird in human form, helpless on the seashore, even as 4.9 million barrels of crude was still leaking from BP’s Deepwater Horizon platform. And in 2014 the truly disturbing Meisel editorial Horror Movie was a sincere effort at decrying both domestic violence against women and its cultural normalisation.

All of these, and other Sozzani-conceived shoots, were variously condemned for "glamourising" - or sometimes sexualising - the very subjects that they were envisaged to parody or critique. Partly that was down to the differently set cultural barometers of Sozzani’s Italy compared to the US and UK (both reliably the source the most anguished criticisms). More significantly, it was due to a wider preconception - often shared by those who take their seriousness extremely seriously - that fashion must be inherently trivial: Sozzani consistently challenged that assumption, and provoked howls of outrage from those whose prejudice it offended.

Perhaps the most controversial issue of all Sozzani’s Vogue Italia’s was 2008’s Black. Shot again by Meisel, who also photographed every single one of her cover images - and published as Barack Obama campaigned in his first presidential campaign - it was cast entirely with black models. Critics called it racist, or a tokenistic exercise and a ghettoisation. As Sozzani recalled when I interviewed her in 2014: “But the point was to highlight the lack of diversity. I was looking at the catwalks, and there were no black girls. And I just could not believe that there were not many, many beautiful black models.” Reprinted twice, that issue was Vogue Italia’s best-selling ever.

Sozzani took a roundabout route into fashion. Born in Mantua in 1950 she studied philosophy and German literature at university in Milan before marrying aged 22, then divorcing three months later. She had travelled - visits to London in the late Sixties influenced her profoundly she said - before her elder sister Carla, the founder of 10 Corso Como who previously worked for Vogue, helped her get a junior assistant’s job at Vogue Bambini (an imprint of the title dedicated to childrenswear) in 1976. In 1980 she was named editor of Lei (later folded into Italian Glamour) and two years afterwards added a menswear sibling named Per Lui to her portfolio. At these titles she began formulating a recipe later to be perfected at Vogue, working closely with photographers such as Weber and Lindbergh and models including Brooke Shields and Milla Jovovich.

In 1988 Sozzani was appointed to Vogue Italia, which had been founded in 1964 after being rebranded from from its previous name of Novità. In its early days, Sozzani recalled, the magazine was “more of a trade magazine - focused stories about shoes and bags. But they always used important photographers: Newton, Watson, sometimes even Avedon.” Under her watch, she planned from the off to “change the emphasis, to make it more a magazine of style. The only problem was that we publish in Italian, which is a beautiful language but very niche. So the image had to become Vogue's language. Because when you see a beautiful image, you do not have to read anything to understand it.” As she later observed in the same interview: “'Today, everybody is using Instagram, but 26 years ago we started with the idea of doing the same thing on paper.”
Advertisement

Initially, her changes sparked consternation amongst the advertisers and - it has been reported - catalysed the occasional frank exchange of views between her and Newhouse. But in time Sozzani’s Vogue became an integral cog in the commercial system of fashion, for which her championed photographers contributed campaign after campaign. She was named Editorial Director of Condé Nast Italy in 1994 and in 2006 became editor of L’Uomo Vogue.

Although an extremely powerful figure in the world of fashion she wore that power extremely lightly. While at the shows, often attired in an air-con defying cardigan plus skirt and kitten heels (she preferred to buy her own clothes, and hoard new season pieces awhile before wearing them), Sozzani was eminently approachable - she would happily consider a reporter’s question, a generosity for which this reporter was regularly grateful. Those who knew her far more profoundly have already penned affecting tributes - such as Anna Wintour, Jonathan Newhouse and Suzy Menkes
- and the completed-only-this-April film entitled Franca: Chaos and Creation, directed by her son Francesco Carrozzini, promises an even deeper insight into the worldview of this unconventionally brilliant editor. My closest connection to Sozzani was, like most people’s with an interest in fashion, through the pages the magazine she dedicated 28 years to: I would always pay my five euros for it while heading home from Linate airport. This week I picked up the December issue, number 796: It’s dedicated to dogs - dogs! - and on the plane it made me laugh and look at the clothes shot in it afresh.

When interviewed this August by Lynn Yaeger of Vogue Runway about her son’s film, Sozzani was as unrepentantly sure of her path as ever. She said: “Why can’t a fashion magazine talk about what’s happening in the world? Market researchers always say, 'Do this, do that.' I did the exact opposite of what they said. I don’t think that today a fashion magazine can only show you the clothes, and that’s it.”

I genuinely found it hard to process the news yesterday, and thought it must've been her birthday when I noticed everyone's posts on Instagram.. until I read further down and I just couldn't believe what I was reading, unable to wrap my head around Franca's tragic passing. RIP Franca!

So heartwarming to read everyone's sincere condolences and notices of affection in this thread.. :heart:

I´m truly shocked by the news still, it´s so sad to hear that Franca has passed away, this woman was a genius, a force of nature, the most creative of ALL the Vogues in the world, her creativity, her passion and commitment to the world of High Fashion and couture will be truly missed. I remember reading every editor´s letter of hers and her online blog when I started to write for Vogue Italia´s Encyclo column, she will be immensely remembered. I became a subscriber to Vogue Italia because of her vision and Steven Meisel´s photos. I have a lot of Vogue Italia issues, it was all because of her vision, her voice, her world. I´m going to miss her punch, her sweet nature and powerful vision of the world. Her UN and commitments for Africa and other humanitarian endeavors was truly spectacular. Rest in peace Franca :smile:

Rest in peace, Franca. Thank you for everything you've done for the fashion industry.

Such a great great loss. very sad. i just remember her this past fashion week, always wanted to say hello but in the rush of the shows,couldn't or be brave enough i guess. Always a lady and a game changer. Her legacy will live forever.

I'm so mad with D&G. They don't said a word about it. She was very supportive with them. What is wrong with those guys?

Her death is really hard to process.
I mean, she is one of the 4 fashion editors (with Anna, Carine & Babeth) who defined what fashion has been for the last 30 years.
It really feels to me like an end of an era.
I'm just thinking on how talents have shine thanks to her: from photographers, to stylist and designers.

Carine, Babeth & Anna are in their 60's now and i'm figuring out that with the death of Franca, we will lose a part of high fashion.
I don't think that in this new era, we have personalities like her who will be as influencial for the next generation.

Staying at the top of your game for nearly 30 years is even more than a accomplishment.
Those women have set the bar high on what a mainstream fashion magazine is supposed to look like and on what is an EIC of a fashion magazine.

It's in those kind of moments that you know that fashion count! She is not a part of our family but her work and the way she portrait herself touched us and it feels like a big loss.

I'm so mad with D&G. They don't said a word about it. She was very supportive with them. What is wrong with those guys?

They released a statement (a weird statement by the way) on their official instagram page, but it's true that Stefano's IG doesn't have any mention of this...

I think those guys of D&G are in a bad relationship with Vogue Italia/Franca for a while (don't recall the exact reason). Don't you notice that there is no advertisement of Dolce & Gabanna or any pieces of the brand featured in the eds in Vogue Italia for at least the past year? That would explain something.

I could not believe my eyes when I started seeing posts on instagram, such a big loss. Rest in peace dear Franca, your name is forever engraved into the history of fashion and will live on the pages of iconic pages of the best Vogue edition and beyond

I think those guys of D&G are in a bad relationship with Vogue Italia/Franca for a while (don't recall the exact reason). Don't you notice that there is no advertisement of Dolce & Gabanna or any pieces of the brand featured in the eds in Vogue Italia for at least the past year? That would explain something.

Oh, yeah. I knew that. They were so rude to Franca. The brand banned the magazine from their fashion shows. But ar least they should show some respectec to Her. Franca gave them all the support since the beggining. They're acting like a child. So ungrateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yeah. I knew that. They were so rude to Franca. The brand banned the magazine from their fashion shows. But ar least they should show some respectec to Her. Franca gave them all the support since the beggining. They're acting like a child. So ungrateful.

Oh my, sorry Franca for the bad writing. English isn't my mother tongue :doh:

Wow - such a sad loss and I am truly stunned. Sadness

I can't believe it when i heard the news that day.
Depressed me all day long.

RIP
Dear Franca.
I Will Miss You.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"