French Connection To Tone Down Ads

stylegurrl

Reaction score
FCUK Less Controversial

FCUK, the brand famous for its controversial and in-you-face slogans, is to tone down its risqué advertising in a move away from aggressive and double-entendre catchphrases.

Slogans such as "Too busy to FCUK" and "Cool as FCUK" were getting more bad press from customers than the company bargained for. The collection, which is part denim and casual wear and part fashionable French Connection product was launched in 1997 by an ex ad agency professional. The company's approach to slogans was hugely influential and widely copied by the high street.

A spokeswoman for French Connection recently told Drapers Record that FCUK would be repositioned. "The logo will be much more subtle. It's a fashion brand - it has to change and go forward to keep up with the market."

It is understood that a T-shirt sample with the slogan "Bored of FCUK" can currently be found at he company's head office.

That sux! Half the reason I go there is for the tongue in cheek tees

Originally posted by Spike413@Jul 29 2004, 02:34 PM
That sux! Half the reason I go there is for the tongue in cheek tees
[snapback]317962[/snapback]​

half the reason...that's the only reason for me...the rest is just squash

I saw a great one that said FCUK but if you look really closely, the letters are made from people in different sexual positions.

Originally posted by mikeijames@Jul 29 2004, 03:04 PM
half the reason...that's the only reason for me...the rest is just squash
[snapback]317985[/snapback]​
The other half is the cute salesguys.......

Originally posted by Spike413@Jul 29 2004, 03:07 PM
The other half is the cute salesguys.......
[snapback]317989[/snapback]​

ahhh...*remembering why i bought the 'amazing ball control' tee shirt in DC*

you are quite right... :blush:

My God, I can't believe that people actually like that s**t, or think that it's actually funny. Maybe it's different in NYC, but once you've seen your tenthousandth fat teenager with bad highlights and an "ironic" FCUK slogan hovering above her jelly belly, you kind of go of it.....

Originally posted by Johnny@Jul 30 2004, 03:54 AM
My God, I can't believe that people actually like that s**t, or think that it's actually funny. Maybe it's different in NYC, but once you've seen your tenthousandth fat teenager with bad highlights and an "ironic" FCUK slogan hovering above her jelly belly, you kind of go of it.....
[snapback]318366[/snapback]​

No, it's not different in NYC :sick:

I don't know about anywhere else but in Newcastle FCUK is worn by teenagers and slightly pathetic thirty-something men in allright jobs...

I don't like FCUK... maybe some stuff from the girls dept. but those tees are terrible...

Originally posted by Johnny@Jul 30 2004, 03:54 AM
[snapback]318366[/snapback]​

I have never seen anyone in my town or any of the surrounding areas wearing a FCUK tee. Plenty of ab flab, though.

That's why it would still be extremely controversial for me to wear one :smile:

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jul 30 2004, 10:22 AM
I don't know about anywhere else but in Newcastle FCUK is worn by teenagers and slightly pathetic thirty-something men in allright jobs...
[snapback]318480[/snapback]​
Yeah, as much as I love FCUK, grown men who wear it are just pathetic....

They should make a shirt for them that says "Too busy to FCUK" on the front and "....that's why my wife left me" on the back.

They should make a shirt for them that says "Too busy to FCUK" on the front and "....that's why my wife left me" on the back.

The perfect gift from ex-wives everywhere :lol:

I agree that the "ironic" FCUK slogans aren't all that edgy or trendy and shouldn't be worn by anyone out of high-school. That being said - those slogans were the only thing that separated French Connection from the pack, without those slogans nobody will give a f*ck about fcuk.

i thought it was very clever...if somewhat lowbrow ...marketing strategy when it first began...but the irony has long since lost it's appeal and i'm happy to see them move on...

All I know is, I've had so much fun wearing those shirts to school......it's the rebel in me.

I hate those t-shirts i find them so tacky, but thats just my opinion.

They got banned when i was at college incase a dyslexic person read it wrongly, much to the disgust of the rest of the college :lol: .

My brother's severely dyslexic and he has a t-shirt with 'I have Dailysex' crossed out in red ink with 'Dyslexia' written above B)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->