French or American Manicure ?

Hanne

Storm & Sommer
Reaction score
From www.beautynewsnyc.com/
The origins of the classic French manicure are difficult to trace. Some insist that the simple design, a clean pale pink nail with white tip, originated in France in the 1800’s, while others credit Max Factor for creating the look for Paris fashionistas in the 1930’s. American brand Orly definitely trademarked the term here in the States in 1978 with their popular at home kit. Yet, in recent years, the prevalence of statement-making hues like Chanel’s Vamp and Black Satin have attracted all of the attention while the sad French manicure languished in the corner. And though women in middle America may sport the French mani regularly, it’s a rare occurrence to see a chic woman in New York with the design. It got me thinking…is the French manicure perennial or passé? BN took the question to a few polish experts.

Joanna Czech, Founder, Sava Spa:
French Manicures are definitely passé. They used to be done to make believe that the nail plate was longer and used to create an illusion. To me, they are not elegant at all. The most elegant is the short, clean and natural nail plate. Use a shape that is natural to your finger - not overly square or too rounded. The only reason I would ever recommend a French manicure is a form of treatment for people with extremely short nails….a form of make-up so to speak to make them look longer.

Michelle Mismas, blogger/all around polish guru, All Lacquered Up:
A French manicure can look polished and classic if done well using an ivory or off white tip, dubbed the American Manicure. The problem is that most French manicures I see look fake and tacky because they have a stark white tip and are usually done on thick poorly executed acrylic nails. Besides there is such an incredible color range of polish on the market, why not have a little fun with your nails?

Carolyn Cianciotto, Founder, Carolyn New York:
They are so Cathy Lee “Over!” Why? Because the French really had nothing to do with that…
Second, one of the top editors of a major fashion mag here in NY told me so…Black nails are the new French manicure.
That said, there is a whole group of women that still LOVE the French and can’t let go, so if you must, make sure you don’t get French on the same day you wear a David Cassidy hair cut and highwaisted Jordache Jeans. A ton of people will agree that a French still looks pretty good…but one bit of advice - STOP wearing it on your feet!

Here’s some good news: wear what you like and what works for you. If you like it and wear it with confidence, who cares…

French Manicure
worldofwatiblogspotcomxs9.jpg

worldofwati.blogspot.com

American Manicure:
frenchmanicurebeautynewrg5.jpg

www.beautynewsnyc.com/

YSL's has a new french manicure kit.. I've tested the it.. it works like a charm.. however the color for the tip is chalk white..:doh: and I get the same associations as mentioned in the above article..

frenchmanicurelqf2.jpg

pic and text from www.yslbeautyus.com/
FRENCH MANICURE KIT
Kit of 2 Pens

This clever duo of portable pens are particularly easy to use: one with a lead to draw the white line and a pen-brush to highlight the nails with a pastel pink color. Nails are instantly well manicured, smooth and glossy.

However there seems to be a revival of more stark 'intense' nail colors as well as contrasting colors..

Could this be heralding the return of the 'french' manicure as fashionable finishing touch?

scarlett1su4xs9.jpg

'Whiteout' on Scarlett
style.popcrunch.com
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f47/white-pale-nail-polish-trend-57490.html

marykateum5.jpg

Neon Pink on Mary Kate
www.people.com/

by Laird Borrelli for style.blogs.com/ June 06, 2007
The neon trend continues to cast its glow on fashion. The claw-like, electric-hued nails that surfaced at Lagerfeld Gallery have been showing up off the runway recently. Mary-Kate Olsen accessorized the plain white column dress she wore to the CFDAs with a tie-dye clutch—and fluoro pink nails. At the Arnhem Biennale in the Netherlands, Cassette Playa's Carrie Mundane was anything but with her neon nails, and ThreeasFour's Ange had a French manicure with a twist: chartreuse tips. "They're kind of electrifying," Ange says. "I was a bit shy of looking at them for the first few days, and they scared my pitbull Luna a bit. But I must have been psychic, I didn't realize the Bienniale was going to be so neon-esque."

nailsstyleblogscomrt8.jpg

style.blogs.com/

I find French Manicures to be silly looking. They're so obvious and yet they're supposed to have this "natural but better" appeal. I like nude nail polish if I'm not wanting to wear a color, but don't want to go bare either.

I don't care for the chalk white tips- French style.
It is much better with a more natural off white at the tips.
I do hate in on the toes so very very much!!!

ew to french manicures. either a subtle pink shade like Dior's Diorlisse, or a dark one (i prefer either Chanel's Black Satin or my secret weapon, Cosmique, a really dark navy shade, like Blue Satin) or a light shade (Chanel White Satin). 1-2 layers of a high quality topcoat to make it shiny, voila, great nails.

I prefer a short, clean looking nail. My favorite is Essie's Sugar Daddy polish. Although I don't think the photo you posted of the American manicure looks too terrible.

I'll just flat out say it. French tips look like trailer trash to me. French tips, American tips, who cares. Although I see both as just "clear or clearish nails with white (of some shade) tips and moon. (or whatever that half moon looking thing above your cuticles is.)"

I like the more subtle white tip. But I prefer a solid nail color overall, no tips or special designs.

I prefer short nails that have been buffed & shined for everyday, w/sheer or clear polish.

For nights out, short nails allow you to use any bold color.

I don't like french/american manicures at all...reminds me too much of high school when everyone (including me for a time :blush::blush:) had those super tacky acrylic nails...

I really dislike French maincures, they look so trashy and cheap to me, and American maincures don't look much better IMO

I never heard of an "american" manicure. To me it looks the same as french but just the tips are subtler. I would have assumed the "american" one would be all the same color on the nail. I like to use a fun color sometimes but I prefer my nails short and a nude or light sheer shade of pink (no tips). Unfortunately as an art student, my nails are usually unsightly with charcoal and waterproof ink staining the edges. :ninja:

I have never heard of the American either. I always assumed the way I did my manicures was "French", although they tend to look more like the American version now that I've seen the pictures. I put a clear base coat, do the white tips, then paint over it with one or two coats of Essie's Mademoiselle. It makes my nails look a little bit pinker, yet still natural looking enough. Does that make it French or American? :P

I really like the french manicure. It sounds cliche but I think it looks really very chic and pretty , the american manicure was exactly what I thought the french manicure was :unsure: Looks the same to me :shock:

Neither I prefer just one colour. Actually that said I like that nails in post #4 but its still not really a french/american manicure.

I remember reading somewhere that the "french" manicure was invented in Hollywood, to make actresses nails look fresh but "natural" when making costume dramas, because colored polish wouldn't have been appropriate for the time period in question. But that's probably just another beauty myth.. :smile:

I used to do the lighter tips sometimes when I had longer nails. Now I like them short and in a solid, darker color.

I have false nails..i get a clear set and have the white airbrushed on....white tips are far too low and make your hands/fingers look stumpy.

I get the tip quite high and my extensions are only about 5mm long.

I cannot grow them long as they just break.

My faves nails to have are painted blood red....unfortunatly due to my job im not allowed this due to strict uniform regulations. So a clean french mani/set is my only option!

I have never heard of the American either. I always assumed the way I did my manicures was "French", although they tend to look more like the American version now that I've seen the pictures. I put a clear base coat, do the white tips, then paint over it with one or two coats of Essie's Mademoiselle. It makes my nails look a little bit pinker, yet still natural looking enough. Does that make it French or American? :P

i love essie polishes. :wub:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nymphfable
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->