French V British Style

great points made by Lacroix and most of them right , including the feminity/masculinity, poetry/architecture comparisons.
i dont really find 'young French style' un-imaginative,
i just suspect Mr lacroix has lost his 'touch' with French youth reality..

i really agree with this though
John Galliano is for me the heir to Vivienne Westwood. McQueen is more Gothic, closer to contemporary art and current visual artists. One is a decorator, the other an architect. One is "soft" and the other is a "tailor".

but i dont think that France has not seen any talents since the time of Mugler/Montana.
that and the "french youth" estimations are my sole objections to the artcile :ninja:

thanks for posting kit :flower:

it's odd though...galliano and mcqueen both show in paris and i don't think either of them still even lives in london...at least not full-time...they are very definitely part of the paris scene, so what's he talking about...and mcqueen's real "launch" was in NY and he's supported by an italian company...i think both their fashion is really international...i don't see the comparison...but it's true that the collections of the late eighties and early nineties were very special and very little contemporary fashion lives up to that standard...we're in a different era now... :flower:

It is very interesting to see the contast and comparison of influences the French and English have lent each other artistically and politically. It's also no secret that Galliano and McQueen have both been influenced by France in their designs whether its the bravado of the homeless or the brutality surrounding Joan of Arc. He also suggests that a dialogue is taking place in fashion between the two great cities, making them, arguably, the most innovative, the most flammable, and perhaps the most valid. Can America even take part in the discussion?

Originally posted by datura001@Apr 5th, 2004 - 6:30 pm
It is very interesting to see the contast and comparison of influences the French and English have lent each other artistically and politically. It's also no secret that Galliano and McQueen have both been influenced by France in their designs whether its the bravado of the homeless or the brutality surrounding Joan of Arc. He also suggests that a dialogue is taking place in fashion between the two great cities, making them, arguably, the most innovative, the most flammable, and perhaps the most valid. Can America even take part in the discussion?
well as head of one of the very largest and most successful houses in paris-marc jacobs certainly can...and he's uber american! :flower: and don't forget that donna karan is now owned by lvmh...i'd say the lines are blurring more and more...i think fashion is becoming more and more international...

There's a superb interview with Alexander McQueen in the May edition of British GQ , together with a fully comprehensive feature on his new menswear collection , A/W 04/05 , available from the end of the summer .

It is obvious from the interview that he definitely lives in London , with a country retreat near the south coast .
His actual business is situated in three-storey offices in Clerkenwell in London , and quite surprisingly to me , it becomes obvious that he does not like travelling !!!
Trips to Paris , Milan etc etc , are obviously a must , but the jist is that he considers himself to be a British designer , based in his home city .

The fashion world is international obviously , but it does retain some parochial aspects , nonetheless .

As for the Christian Lacroix article , I was just grateful that he remembered Claude Montana with something like respect . The points that Lena :heart: and other members here make are entirely valid however . :flower:

KIT :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->