From Arkadius ss04

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 6:25 am
Finally, and most obviously, the dove as a symbol of peace. If the designers are trying to make a comment about war, political power, etc. this explanation would make the most sense.
Just some ideas... :flower:

If I recall correctly, Arkadius said that the dress was an abstraction on the ongoing world situation (peace/war)

Good call, Purple!
B)

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 6:25 am
I was just thinking about the meaning of the dead doves and I came up with several different concepts.
The first one, thanks to my art history training, is the dove as a symbol of Christ.
I always understood the dove to be a symbol of the Holy Spirit. :unsure:

Originally posted by tealady+Feb 23rd, 2004 - 1:43 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Feb 23rd, 2004 - 1:43 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-purplelucrezia@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 6:25 am
I was just thinking about the meaning of the dead doves and I came up with several different concepts.
The first one, thanks to my art history training, is the dove as a symbol of Christ.
I always understood the dove to be a symbol of the Holy Spirit. :unsure: [/b][/quote]
Maybe you're right. I'm not Christian, only an art student. :flower:

purplelucrezia...so we have another thing in common (though I am no longer a student).
But my take on this...
1- I hate such literal imagery....it is simply not interesting (to me).
2- I have to disagree about that Icon dress looking like Eastern Orthodox icons...it looks more like the church.
The designers message and execution of it should have been good enough without making this such a loud and tacky exhibiton.

And yes, the representation of the Holy Spirit is often a dove...
not always though.
Sometimes it is just a ray of light.

Originally posted by Sugo@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 2:23 pm
And yes, the representation of the Holy Spirit is often a dove...
not always though.
Sometimes it is just a ray of light.
I can see you've been taught well... :wink:

Originally posted by Sugo@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 2:22 pm
purplelucrezia...so we have another thing in common (though I am no longer a student).
But my take on this...
1- I hate such literal imagery....it is simply not interesting (to me).
2- I have to disagree about that Icon dress looking like Eastern Orthodox icons...it looks more like the church.
The designers message and execution of it should have been good enough without making this such a loud and tacky exhibiton.
I actually strangely liked the outfits in an odd way. I thought the icon one was partically beautiful in particular, although the arrows outfit was a bit over-the-top. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->