From Arkadius ss04

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by purplelucrezia, Feb 16, 2004.

View Users: View Users
  1. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

2. purplelucrezia

And the front... :wacko:

3. purplelucrezia

Perhaps a more extreme take on Bjork's swan dress... :lol:

4. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

is this from a/w 2004 show purple?

5. tiffany

tiffany Active Member

It's from the ss04 season, it was the last dress on the runway - I adore so much of his work, I liked the creativity behind this dress , it was as shocking as it was meant to be

6. Belowen

Belowen ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

That dress would have a lot of different meanings to a lot of different people, and for that I appreciate it. :heart: I don't think it's my kind of evening wear though :rolleyes:

7. purplelucrezia

For some reason I find this dress horribly fascinating.

8. purplelucrezia

Apparently the designers used a colour scheme of red, white and blue throughout the show. Perhaps a political commentary?

9. Luna

Luna offline.

Or maybe bad judgement? :D

10. ultramarine

ultramarine chaos reigns

Or maybe bad judgement? :D [/b][/quote]
    There were a lot of american flags/iraqi references (as well as stars of David) :blink:
    Arkadius showed up the shortest skirts (or should I call 'em band-aids?) and he was covered on fabric head to toe (even on an interview of him i saw at FTV you could only see his eyes)

11. Luna

Luna offline.

There were a lot of american flags/iraqi references (as well as stars of David) :blink:
    Arkadius showed up the shortest skirts (or should I call 'em band-aids?) and he was covered on fabric head to toe (even on an interview of him i saw at FTV you could only see his eyes) [/b][/quote]
    :blink: :shock:

12. purplelucrezia

I also noticed the Hebrew stars... :unsure:

13. mode_addict

mode_addict New Member

i love the bloodshed!

14. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

Is that meant to be a slaughtered dove, then?

I remember when I was doing research on curses, miracle healing, Chistian mythology and late-Saxon medical texts for my MA, there's a part in the bible about curing leprosy by slaughtering a pigeon, taking a second pigeon and daubing it in the blood of the first pigeon, letting the live pigeon daub blood all over the leper, then letting the pigeon fly away across a bare field. Complimentary magic, where the fleeing bird carries away the leprotic curse, don't you know.

Yeah, I'm weird. So, I see the dress as being a modern reference to a nearly prehistoric cure for leprosy. Postgraduate education is one of those mixed blessings :)

Also, I give props to anyone who managed to read through the quote from my dissertation without falling asleep. Please don't plaigarize it...it took a mad lot of creative bullshitting to come up with that stuff!

15. purplelucrezia

Very interesting as you like it. I agree that the religious references were pretty clear. Here is an outfit which references Christian icons.

16. purplelucrezia

And just for creepiness sake. Or perhaps it is referencing the martyrdom of St. Sebastine? :unsure:

17. As You Like It

I thought St. Sebastian was martyred by having been shot through with lots and lots of arrows. I know in the Life of St. Edmund, it mentions St. Sebastian having prickled like a hedgehog from being shot so full of arrows.

And St. Eadmond is my favorite of the English martyrs because his head was cut off and the Vikings absconded with it. His kinsmen retrieved his body and went out looking for the head, shouting "Where are you" and the disembodied head replied "here, here, here," and the kinsmen were able to track it down to a spot in the woods where the Vikings had dropped it where it was being guarded by a wild wolf (who though ravenous and greedy dared not taste of it). The wolf suffered them to take the head back to the monestary where the body lay in state, and they affixed the head back on the body. The wolf accompanied the monks back to the monestary as though he were tame. In the tradition of Saints Lives, of course the body did not decompose, and years later an acolyte wished to learn whether the head remained affixed to the uncorrupting body and tried to pull it off, whereupon he was struck down in a paralysis. He recovered and learned not to get too nosy about God's workings.

I had to translate the Life of St. Eadmund from Old English to modern English for practice...I guess a flavor of the translation comes across in my little recap. The "here, here, here" bit is really funny when read aloud in Old English.

18. As You Like It

a link for St. Sebastian and one for Eadmund. So yep, St. Sebastian was shot full of arrows, but ultimately killed by having been clubbed to death, and Eadmund was shot full of arrows, then decapitated.

Thank heavens I'm not a saint, nor ever hoping to be.

Apologies to the topic.

[​IMG]

I really like this one. It looks like an Eastern Orthodox icon.

19. purplelucrezia

I remember reading about St. Edmund in Catherine Called Birdy. Interesting indeed! :ninja:

20. purplelucrezia

I was just thinking about the meaning of the dead doves and I came up with several different concepts.
    The first one, thanks to my art history training, is the dove as a symbol of Christ. Since the doves are dead here, perhaps it represents the current lack of popularity of Christianity.
    Another idea is of the dove from Noah's ark. The dove in that case was a symbol of hope, so perhaps the designers are claiming that hope is dead.
    Also, the dove may simply represent exactly what it is. The dress could thus be a comment on cruelty to animals.
    Finally, and most obviously, the dove as a symbol of peace. If the designers are trying to make a comment about war, political power, etc. this explanation would make the most sense.
    Just some ideas... :flower: